Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 31-08-2017, 05:14   #1

Boat: Pearson 33-2
All Aluminum Dinghy

This subject has come up a few times, and while I can see that an all aluminum dink wouldn't be for everyone, it seems a good choice for some. I can't for the life of me figure out how you could wrap up $6-7k in a boat that size, but I've been wrong before. I would like to build one, just for grins and to feel like I'm moving us toward our long term goals. I would like to start with something 10' or so. I know I need to keep the weight down, and the alloys to use.......What I need to hear are your opinions on function. How wide? How much displacement in the tubes? Wire it for running lights? How tall from the bottom of the hull to gunwale, or gunnel, as it's known here in hillbilly country? Deadrise? Dry storage? Etc.....
I suppose I could figure out how to roll my own pontoon logs, but I'll probably just use the brake and make square or rectangular tubes. I suppose that for safety's sake, I'll bulkhead the tubes? I was thinking that a dry storage hatch or anchor locker integrated into the forward tubes would be useful? A front deck/seat with storage would be useful, but adds weight. Lets hear your design ideas, and for the sake of argument, a maximum weight.
Thanks!
Fence Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aluminum, dinghy