Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2008, 09:29   #16

I'll take the other tack here.

Since you use the jib upwind or reaching you have app wind on your side, the gains from the 110 to the 140 will be fairly small in those conditions. If you buy the assy for downwind and light reaching work it will be a better sail then the genoa since the genny will tend to hang once you drive off a bit.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:47   #17

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by infonote View Post
A question? With a 150 Genoa, you do not risk being overpowered?

As an answer to your question If you want excitement, go with a spinnaker Else go with a bigger Genoa.

Oh that 150 can give you plenty of excitement..Just leave it up too long..
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 13:30   #18

Boat: Privilege 37
al opinions in this thread based on the specific experience of the person.

IMHO, there has been very little of direct use to the original poster.

The reason for this is that different sail makers will call asail by a certain name, but this may have different characteristics to a sail of the same name from a different sailmaker.

The fundamental point that has been missed is that for a specific sailmaker, he will make one of these sails that is optimised to work in certain very specific wind conditions. The skill of the racing skipper is to have the correct sail type on board.

The differences are wind strength and angle off the bow that the sail can be used. In order to decide which sail to purchase you need to do some research into the conditions where you are sailing, and those conditions where you want to be able to use the sail, and the direction to the wind that you want to use it.

Once you have this data, it is much easier to decide which is the correct sail.
Old 03-11-2008, 14:11   #19

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Have to disagree with you here Talbot. The original poster asked whether he should get a genoa (140/150) or a cruising chute. A genoa will be used a lot more often than a cruising chute, especially with roller furling. So get a jenny first! It can be used on all points of sail.
Old 03-11-2008, 14:12   #20
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
I sail in and around Tampa Bay ,i.e., Tarpon Springs. It seems that if there is any wind its adequate for a modest size headsail of 135% or less. The kicker for me is the inner staysail stay. On my cutter a 135 was a real pain in the stern to tack through that stay. So much so that I found myself motoring more than I liked. When the fateful day for replacement came, I put a 110 Yankee on. It has no problem going through the slot. I think I once calculated that I lost about 100 sq ft of sail by stepping down. Also, I can run both the staysail and 110 in a variety of conditions so I get some sail area back. For the light air I added a North Sail Asym. In a light breeze (5- 10 kt) I can go from about 2 knots to around 4-5. That's enough to keep the engine off for me.

The problem with sailing around here is that there is either hardly anywind or much more than enough.

One other thing, on the spinnaker I do use the ATN tacker. By holding the foot in I can get a few more degrees to windward than without.
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 16:16   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401
It's great reading all the opinions out there.

I got an email from sailrite today and they will be giving me a better deal than they had originally quoted me for the ASY kit. Since I have lots of time off at the end of the month, I think I might like to tackle this project.

Even though I will be building the kit, I will still be on the lookout for a used headsail though

From reading all of your comments I am starting to change my mind about even getting a 150% at all (well for the time being anyway). It sounds like a 135% might be a better option offering more versatility.

Now, lots of you talk about a high cut clew. When I am looking at used sails how do I know when they are cut high or not?

I saw a Yankee cut sail that was in perfect shape and would concider buying but I think that the clew would be a little high for my boat

Luff 51' 6" leech 37" foot 24

most of the other sails with this luff size have a leech in the range of 47' to 50' (+/- 2' in the foot)

Once again, thanks for the great relplies, excelent info!!
Acadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:44   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus Driver View Post
Now, lots of you talk about a high cut clew. When I am looking at used sails how do I know when they are cut high or not?
High cut clew definitely has advantages for visibility in high traffic area.

However, it will raise the centre of effort. (largest part of the sail is higher)

There is also the issue of whether the genoa cars are in the right position for a high clew.

There is an angle from genoa car to clew with that line extended to the forestay. That line should meet the forestay at a specific point , but my swiss cheese mind has forgotten the ratio.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:49   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Have to disagree with you here Talbot. The original poster asked whether he should get a genoa (140/150) or a cruising chute. A genoa will be used a lot more often than a cruising chute, especially with roller furling. So get a jenny first! It can be used on all points of sail.
I am not a great fan of a 150% gennie in case of high wind conditions which may exceed the ability for you to roll that big genoa and have a sail you can use.

Furthermore, I find it difficult to understand what your problem is with this statement:

The differences are wind strength and angle off the bow that the sail can be used. In order to decide which sail to purchase you need to do some research into the conditions where you are sailing, and those conditions where you want to be able to use the sail, and the direction to the wind that you want to use it.