Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2008, 17:11   #1

Boat: Ranger 32 "Done Deal"
Catalina 27 Mast

I have a catalina 27 and I am going to step the mast when I get home in about 3 weeks (from Iraq) to put in new wiring, anchor, steaming and deck lights, windex etc. I have seen the SS spreader brackets from Catalina Direct and they have a piece about "you can lose your mast with no warning with the old aluminum brackets" and so on, as if it happens on a regular basis. Does anyone have any experience with or seen a catalina 27 spreader bracket just come apart out of no where? Should I really be concerned about it? My rigging is in good shapeother wise.

Thanks!
sugar and spice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 11:29   #2

Question

Well, no replies, it mus not be a problem......or no one else has a Catalina 27?
Old 31-10-2008, 13:15   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41
HI Clint:

Best chance would be to find a Catalina 27 website. That is too particuilar a question for this forum meaning particuilar to one type of boat.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 13:16   #4

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
When you've seen enough broken stuff sometimes it gets mixed up as to what was broken on what boat. IIRC our club's Catalina 27 spreader casting failed. I believe the mast was down for some other repair and when the spreader was pulled off you could see the casting was cracked. We also replaced the eyes that the lowers connect to with the u-bolts from Catalina Direct.

We also had an aluminum spreader casting fail on a Neptune 24, but that one had help. Someone had replaced the bridle on the spinnaker pole with an eyestrap in the middle of the pole as a fix for the broken bridle. Predictably the first time there was any wind the spinnaker pole folded up and the shock to the mast broke the spreader base, I believe it was the part sticking out the bottom to attach the lowers to snapped off.

Don't know how common it is for these bases to fail, but I'm not impressed with lightweight aluminum castings.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 13:57   #5

Thanks for the info.

I guess at a cost of $250 to replace the brackets, both tubes and the end caps its worth the peace of mind. My lower shroud chainplates are a little different, I guess they changed them for the tabernacle.

Tags
catalina, mast