Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2016, 15:21   #16

Boat: O'Day 34
Re: Spreader End Covers - Mother of Invention...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendana View Post
Obi Wan, what you need is leather hide. Very soft, smooth and I suspect what you had on there before.
What was on there before was a custom fit PVC cap or something similar. Very low friction. You can see the remnants of the one remaining in the picture. Worked well but just wore out from the sun. I can't see using leather. Won't be low friction when wet and a lot of work to put on.

I have an idea I will try made from a nearly impervious material - will be unique I think. I'll post pics when done.
Old 29-08-2016, 16:12   #17
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Spreader End Covers - Mother of Invention...

Been using sheepskin oddments for years..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 21:29   #18

Boat: 1971 cal 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi Wan View Post
What was on there before was a custom fit PVC cap or something similar. Very low friction. You can see the remnants of the one remaining in the picture. Worked well but just wore out from the sun. I can't see using leather. Won't be low friction when wet and a lot of work to put on.

I have an idea I will try made from a nearly impervious material - will be unique I think. I'll post pics when done.
i look forward to seeing your idea. i will be needing to do something for my boat
we go wherever we want to go. that's what a ship is, you know. it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails. that's what a ship needs. but what a ship is...really is...is freedom---captain jack sparrow
first wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 23:59   #19

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Those spreader ends look very similar to mine.
I lucked out and bought a new pair of 'boots' either white rubber or plastic (they felt like rubber) from Pacific Marine Exchange of Bellingham, WN before they went out of business. Sorry i don't have a manufacturers name but maybe someone else knows who make these things.
BTW, where dd all the stock go from that store when they closed the door forever? i
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 00:17   #20

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

FWIW, there has been no problem with our leather spreader boots, have used them for over 20 yrs, on two different boats. So, if it's something someone is interested in trying, don't let the moisture retention issue bother you. Nor have we had it damage any of our genoas .

Ann
Old 30-08-2016, 01:57   #21

Boat: kuiper 32

I have seen a few very corroded spreader tips which the covers had been hiding,Check under them once a year.
builder dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 22:57   #22

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Just out of interest, the soft, yet thick, hard wearing leather is called chromed leather due to it's method of tanning. This is the stuff that welding gloves and the like are made out of.

Having just refurbished my old PVC spreader boots and reused them, I'm not so sure I'd like leather that could stay damp in contact with aluminium and stainless steel. I'd much prefer synthetic materials for this reason.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Industrial all weather fabric.
Sail-lite or Weblon
Contact them for a sample or remnant.
It's tougher than Sunbrella.
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 23:19   #23

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Elk Hide - as used by riggers. Probably the #1 option. Design & sew your own.
UHMW Plastic - molded, & or sewn
Cloth - Especially onto the sails, ditto for thin UHMW sheet
Spectra chafe covers, & or patches. Add to all offending bits; rigging & sails
Spreader wheels
Rubberized plastic spreader boots
PVC - tubing or pipe. The latter can be heat molded
Tennis balls

Smooth & mold (by addition & subtraction of material) all sharp rigging; ends, fittings, & bits, prior to adding other protection, such as chafe pro, or covers onto things.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 23:27   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

We don't have boots on the main spreaders but I sewed on some leather on the foresail spreaders just in case. I used dark maroon latigo which isn't ideal in color but it was what I had available at the moment. It is longer wearing/tougher than the typical chrome-tan leather which most people use. Either will work fine though.
Old 21-09-2019, 10:40   #25

Boat: Merit 25

Quote:
Just out of interest, the soft, yet thick, hard wearing leather is called chromed leather due to it's method of tanning. This is the stuff that welding gloves and the like are made out of.

Having just refurbished my old PVC spreader boots and reused them, I'm not so sure I'd like leather that could stay damp in contact with aluminium and stainless steel. I'd much prefer synthetic materials for this reason.

Regarding "...leather that could stay damp in contact with aluminium and stainless steel. I'd much prefer synthetic materials for this reason," I agree! I'm surprised by how many people favored leather and didn't mention your concern. Stainless + aluminum + water - a corrosion inhibiter = trouble.

Rick
rpeskett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2019, 11:11   #26

Boat: Allied Princess 36 MKII

Quote:

I have a couple welding uppers, half jacket with sleeves made as you describe, unfortunately most gloves now are basic thin leather with a dual internal synthetic crap layers to provide heat and cut resistant protection that tough leather used to provide. Company can get these much cheaper than traditional style, they are crap.
Regardless of type of leather, it should be bone dry after a couple hours of sunlight. My gloves are dry and stiff every morning just be leaving them on top of my toolbox at the end of day, I wouldn't worry about them holding moisture in the sun and air.
S/V Adeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2019, 13:13   #27

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

For me the key requirements were to make a blunt end to prevent piercing the expensive sail (mistakes happen!) and to have a very slippery surface so the sail slides across easily.

I tried leather which were hard to make and sew up there and rubber which was not slippery and duct tape(!) which didn't last.

Now I use a heavy piece of reinforced mylar UV resistant film (I got some PSA film from Challenge. Your sailmaker should have some of this) which is simply wrapped around over a little tape for padding and taped on. I figure I'll have to replace it often but so far it's lasted over a year in the hot Mexico sunlight and it works well.

It takes 30 seconds to put one on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spreader Tip Photo.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	200312   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spreader Tip Instructions.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	343.1 KB
ID:	200315  

Old 21-09-2019, 13:35   #28

Boat: a sailing boat

Buy strips of spinnaker nylon from a local loft. Wrap to your heart's content.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2019, 13:56   #29

Mine must be old school, cork donuts over the shrouds above the spreaders. They rest on top of the spreaders, spin freely and can float up or down. Possibly slices from old fishing floats.
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote