Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 15:07   #1

Boat: Lancer 36
Rig Tension?

I have a newer to me Lancer 36.
It has a new mast but the previous owner had, I feel, the tension on the shrouds and stays way to loose.

I first checked that the mast is in column then
I borrowed a gauge and set the tension to about 10% of hull weight.
The Lancer 36 weighs in at 1,100# and I've read not to over tension these boats, (I have no idea why but that's what I read on a lancer site.)

This action brought up a big discussion at the sailing club of course and after about eight of us walked the docks checking tension on different boats and yes, they were all over the place. It seemed the racers had their rigs set loose and two racer/cruisers near me were much tighter with the Hunter 40 at about 17% tension of hull weight.

Anyways, I'm still unsure of what tension for a starting point.
I'm an experienced sailing novice! New to CF and look forward to hearing from sailors with more knowledge than me about this.

The Pessimist complains about the wind.
The Optimist expects the wind to change.
A Leader adjusts the sails.
Brown Sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 16:00   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Rig tension?

With lube on the threads, give them a good turn with an 8" screwdriver.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 16:22   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

I always felt that the tension was referenced to the WLL of the stays rather than the hull weight (assuming hull was adequate to withstand the both the tension and resulting mast compression).

Vaguely recall a figure of 20% but I'm sure some here will know the real answer - consider this a free bump
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 16:23   #4

I like it so the lee side goes just slack enough to wobble them while beating to weather... for a cruiser.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 16:31   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Rig tension?

Don't like mine bar taut they way some folk do.. I prefer the fan belt approach.. a tad of give when you lean on em..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 16:32   #6
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I like it so the lee side goes just slack enough to wobble them while beating to weather... for a cruiser.
I like it so the lee side goes just slack enough to only just / almost wobble them while beating to weather... for a cruiser.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 16:39   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Rig tension?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Sugar View Post
I thought they were called 'Tweakers..'

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 17:02   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Sugar View Post
I have a newer to me Lancer 36.
It has a new mast but the previous owner had, I feel, the tension on the shrouds and stays way to loose.

I first checked that the mast is in column then
I borrowed a gauge and set the tension to about 10% of hull weight.
The Lancer 36 weighs in at 1,100# and I've read not to over tension these boats, (I have no idea why but that's what I read on a lancer site.)

This action brought up a big discussion at the sailing club of course and after about eight of us walked the docks checking tension on different boats and yes, they were all over the place. It seemed the racers had their rigs set loose and two racer/cruisers near me were much tighter with the Hunter 40 at about 17% tension of hull weight.

Anyways, I'm still unsure of what tension for a starting point.
I'm an experienced sailing novice! New to CF and look forward to hearing from sailors with more knowledge than me about this.

The Pessimist complains about the wind.
The Optimist expects the wind to change.
What sort of Gauge is this I have just purchased a 57 foot Bruce Roberts and need to check the tensioning as the boat has not been sailed for 8 years just sat anchored and in dry dock
John_ausm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 17:02   #9

What sort of Gauge is this I have just purchased a 57 foot Bruce Roberts and need to check the tensioning as the boat has not been sailed for 8 years just sat anchored and in dry dock
John_ausm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 19:50   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

This is absolutely the stupidest guide I have ever heard. Period.

Rig tension is boat and rig specific. There are no general guides to how tight or loose a specific boats rig should be. None, nada, zilch. You need to go thru the process of getting the rig in tune, and while a loose gague can be helpful to repeat those numbers it is no help in figuring out what they should be (unless you have a tuning guide for your specific boat).

There are a number of very good guides from North Sails, this website has a few explanations of how, google has hundreds, but do not just tension your shrouds based on some made up percentage of some number. They have nothing to do with what's going on.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 20:46   #11

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
This is absolutely the stupidest guide I have ever heard. Period.

Rig tension is boat and rig specific. There are no general guides to how tight or loose a specific boats rig should be. None, nada, zilch. You need to go thru the process of getting the rig in tune, and while a loose gague can be helpful to repeat those numbers it is no help in figuring out what they should be (unless you have a tuning guide for your specific boat).

There are a number of very good guides from North Sails, this website has a few explanations of how, google has hundreds, but do not just tension your shrouds based on some made up percentage of some number. They have nothing to do with what's going on.
Agreed!

Jim
Old 01-05-2014, 23:11   #12

Boat: Valiant 40

One reason that rig tension is boat specific is that every boat is built, and flexes differently. Very stiff (and I don't mean in terms of handling) boats are generally tuned tighter because they can don't flex as much, either from the tension of the shrouds or in a seaway. Yes, heavier boats tend as a rule to be stiffer, but that's a generalization and Stumble is spot on.

Over tensioning the rigging on lighter, OR more flexible boats can lead to substantial damage. Your Lancer is 10k lbs, not 1k pounds, and that's still on the light side for a 36' boat.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:59   #13

Boat: Lancer 36

Thank you all for the responses.

Stumble, I've read a dozen or so site on the web and as they tell me how to, not how much, only the one site said 10% as a starting point. Thank you for the lead to North Sails. I'll check it out.
Brown Sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:53   #14

Boat: Newport 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_ausm54 View Post
It's a Loos gauge that you would use.
CharlzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:24   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

The manufacturer of my boat has some numbers in it's owners manual.
Might look there, your boats manual of course not mine
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote