Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2020, 09:51   #1

Boat: 1976 Tradewind 34
How to stop furling line from creeping loose

I have a run off the mill Harken MKIV 0 furler on a bermuda rigged sloop that I installed a few years ago as an upgrade to the hank on sails I had. Life is great when I unfurl and furl the sail completely. I went the extra mile and got the padded luff headsail to make sure I will be able to keep the sail shape when I partially furl the headsail to "reef". Well, the partial furling works well in theory but not so well in practice. This is because the partially furled sail creeps loose and unfurls itself as the 1/4" line in the drum settles and reseats itself. It does not fully unfurl but just enough to go from the second reefing point to the first and as you may imagine this creates a poorly trimmed headsail because I then have to adjust the jib sheet accordingly. I find myself reefing quite often as I have a fairly large headsail and I am confronted with this issue more often then I would like to. So, I want to improve the situation.

Should I go with a thicker furling line? Or thinner furler line? Should I do dyneema? How can I get rid of this potentially dangerous situation? Thank you in advance for your help!
hd002e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2020, 09:58   #2

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
Re: How to stop furling line from creeping loose

I have the same furler and approximately same size sail. I simply tie off the line, which is whatever the factory provided. Only significant creep is with high winds, and even then not a big deal.

I furl with some pressure on the sail, thus the line is relatively tight as compared to furling a flagging sail which leaves the line loose and likely to bind.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2020, 10:10   #3

Boat: Outremer 50S

We keep a pretty snug tension on the furling line when we unfurl the sail. That way as the furling line winds up on the drum it is already fairly tight and settled on the drum. If the furling line is slack while unfurling then it ends up loose and fluffy on the drum and you can end up with exactly the behavior you described when partially furling the sail.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2020, 13:32   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
We keep a pretty snug tension on the furling line when we unfurl the sail.

This!
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2020, 14:13   #5

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

+1 for keeping tension on the line when unfurling.

The other thing you may be experiencing is compression or tightening of the sail around the furler as the wind pipes up. This will only be a small amount of difference in comparison to the line tightening itself on the drum.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2020, 14:48   #6

Boat: Catalina 320

Rigger suggested using a Harken ratcheting block on the furling line, works well, unfurling hands free, just enough tension going out. From Harken website :
Quote:
Using a ratchet block on your jib furling line makes unfurling the sail, especially to a reefed position, a much more controlled and pleasant experience (and frees up the winch that you might have used for the same purpose).
https://www.harken.com/article.aspx?...much%20easier.
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2020, 23:11   #7

Boat: 1976 Tradewind 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
Rigger suggested using a Harken ratcheting block on the furling line, works well, unfurling hands free, just enough tension going out. From Harken website :

https://www.harken.com/article.aspx?...much%20easier.

That is very interesting, so it ratchets when you furl and introduces friction when you are unfurling?
hd002e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 10:35   #8

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

Agree w all the previous comments . Possibly yr furling line is too stretchy such as a 3 ply nylon. Whatever it is , if the previous suggestions do not fix yr prblm then i suggest you change yr furling line to a low stretch line.
Andrew
Old 25-11-2020, 11:27   #9

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

Certainly a smaller diameter line will allow less creep and as others have said, furl the sail under tension to where you want it, it will then have less chance to creep. I have gone one step further and spliced a thinner dyneema line to a larger diameter line back from the fuller so I have a nice 10mm line to handle and a 6mm line on the furling drum, it also allows for more line on the furling drum which means that when you furl the sail completely you can wrap an extra half dozen turns around the sail to help keep it furled, it also allows for when the sail is very tightly wrapped around the fuller (as in when you have been out in a blow) and still allows the sail to fully furl.
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 12:12   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

When reefing, I reef a bit farther than I would want, and within a short time, it winds up just right.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 12:35   #11

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

As a Rigger, i like to install a ROPE CLUTCH on the side deck close to the cockpit that can be reached easily when using the Roller Furler, as earlier stated, the furling line must be snug when rolling the sail out, or it can get tangled up in the drum, and then one is unable to furl up , a bad situation, soooo, one way to deal with this potential problem is to have the line running thru the clutch, which is set to put the correct amount of tension on the line, by marking the side of the clutch body with a line corresponding with the angle set for tension you want, the drill is to lift the clutch handle to the mark/angle and forget about it, and go ahead and deal with the sheet, once the sheet is dealt with, lock down the handle, and you good to go, also 1/4 " line is to small to handle, the previous idea of splicing the small line to larger, say 1/2 " works very well, something i do with smaller furlers, hoping this is clear enough, and finally with the clutch installed when not sailing it keeps the line tight,so unable to unroll in high wind conditions.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 16:15   #12

Boat: Catalina 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd002e View Post
That is very interesting, so it ratchets when you furl and introduces friction when you are unfurling?
Exactly, block is fixed when unfurling and has little "gripping" grooves that provide a little tension. Best picture I could find was from a chandlery in UK.
https://dbkgo5nwza3vo.cloudfront.net...ducts/7402.jpg
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 16:29   #13

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
Rigger suggested using a Harken ratcheting block on the furling line, works well, unfurling hands free, just enough tension going out.
Yep, I have one of those as well.it ratchets on the way in. Helps between grabs on the furling line when furling.

As other have said, I also keep a little tension on the line whether rolling out or rolling in. I find it better to get a nice tight furl on the sail this way, reduced chances of strong winds picking up the clew and limits the amount of rain entering the folds.

And it keeps the line nice on the drum . . . .
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 16:13   #14

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

I also sliced a smaller line for the furler so I could keep something easy to handle yet rolled readily.

Tags
furling