Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2017, 10:21   #31
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: How much for standing rigging inspection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor_ed View Post
Unfortunately from what I have heard Norseman is no longer made and cones are getting scarce. Correct me if otherwise please.
Yup. I think it’s the Sta-lock that are the new standard.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 10:32   #32

Boat: Simonis 50

My catamaran is 10 years old and we are busy replacing all the rigging including all the fittings and the chain plates. I did not bother with an inspection as it is due to be replaced and as mentioned in earlier messages, for insurance cover purposes. The mast is 18 meters and the quote to replace it all is US$9,400 - labour included.

But there are already extra bits of work to be done (not rigging related) which was discovered in the process. We found some corrosion in the electrical connections as well as some chafe where the wires exits the mast. So, in addition to replacing the rigging, we are also replacing all the electrical wires and the masthead fittings. It's an expensive exercise but rather this than the mast possibly coming down mid ocean.
svrevelations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 10:49   #33
mnh

Boat: Hinckley Custom 45 ft. yawl

If you are Herrrington North, I might recommend East Coast rigging, located behind the Herrington main office. Steve and Noelle are two of the best riggers I've ever dealt with. Our 1984 sailboat is in Mr. Phipp's shop (Phipps Boat works). Steve and Noelle are working on replacing all 9 chain plates, if you want to stop by and contact them personally. Besides the standing (wires, masts) etc., the chain plates can be your biggest weak link in the rigging system..
mnh
mnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 11:47   #34

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

A written rigging inspection report on my 45' ketch cost me $200 two years ago.
michaelratinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:19   #35

Boat: J40

Change the rigging... injuries often occur with mast failure... old in salt water is old.
flopresti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 19:28   #36

Boat: Tartan 37

Very good article here.
Inspecting Your Boat's Mast And Rigging - Seaworthy - BoatUS

My inspection cost $300 on a 37ft, with a written report after a lightening strike. After taking the rigging and mast down we notice some concerns that the inspection missed. Everything needs a good look, chainplates to cotter pins. Pulling a mast is the best way to get a good look at the rig. You can't get a good look at some fittings, like T-terminals without taking them off the mast.

I've seen a six boats that lost rigs, none were the wire. Half were cotter pins, one chainplate and one was a turnbuckle stud failed.

Leaving the yard after resteping my mast and trying to get the boat back to my slip before dark. I quickly snugged up the rig (not tuned) put in pins, with a slight spread. Planned on tuning the rig the next day. Motored for an hour into a chop and next thing one of the lowers had unscrewed and was flying around. That was an eye opener for me.

Also don't use local sail lofts to do the manufacturering of the rigging, they don't have the proper equipment. If you see a seam, don't use it.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 23:39   #37

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 52.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
$1600 to $2500 for parts and $600 to $1000 labor. I have no intentions of replacing the rigging on my '02 boat anytime soon. Raced weekly and sailed 4 days/week year round, Pacific ocean.
What size and type of boat do you have that you can replace the rigging for between $2400-3500?
Nikki S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 23:45   #38

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 52.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealife74 View Post
In Australia you won’t get insurance cover if it’s older than 10 yrs.
You may get an extra yr or two if u get a rigging report that says it ok but 10 yrs is the limit pretty much.
Your rigging needs
Replacing.

except with club marine..... cant find any clauses about rigging there.....
Nikki S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:02   #39

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Europe : 6+6Yrs rule for insurance, with inspection on 6th year
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:13   #40

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

I would at least change the headstay if you have a roller-furler. There is often a lot of working of the wire at the junction with the drum. Perhaps the backstay as well. If a re-rig is not in the budget, it can be changed in parts (wire by wire) over a few years.

Of course, if the inspection turns up any issues, they have to be addressed as well.
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:17   #41

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor_ed View Post
Unfortunately from what I have heard Norseman is no longer made and cones are getting scarce. Correct me if otherwise please.
Hi! https://www.velasailingsupply.com/ou...ess-terminals/ Norseman swageless mechanical wire terminations are availible in eye, turnbuckle stud, fork, t-bar, shroud terminals and insulator configurations at Rigging Only | RiggingOnly.com still offer Norseman fittings on their web sites ??? Cheers
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:27   #42

Boat: Sovereign Classic 32, 32'

Hi,

I just had mine checked, both standing and running rigging - the total including VAT came to £ 115 or US$160 at current exchange rate. Recommended replacing running rigging at £85 or US$115, which I promptly did. I did not find this excessive. Any comments on these costs?
Miran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:57   #43

Boat: Catalina 320

I did grossly underestimate, 5 or 6 grand probably closer.
US$115 might cover a moderate (StaSet) 100' halyard for a 32 ft boat.
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:16   #44

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjymd View Post
My rigging was inspected in 2016 on a 2005 boat. suages showed evidence of cracks.
54 foot Jeanneau rigging replacement is round 16k, yours will be a little less for the length of the wire but the work and fitting will be similar. Best of luck. A difficult decision.
Is this just the swaged wire? I know not everyone's physically able, but if you can climb the mast all rigging can be changed by you in the water. All my rigging is 7/16 & 3/8, gib fittings and swaged, 55 ft mast. I was getting quotes for 12-13k aud. I changed all the wire myself for under 6k aud. This stuff isn't rocket science, you can save a bundle. You need a dock for the forestay if roller furling. If I was to do it again I would use a staylock or similar for the forestay, that way you don't have to drill out and replace all the rivets in the foil, also I intend to replace the forestay prior to the rest of the rigging in the future as it cops more of a kicking IMHO, a staylock makes this easier.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:39   #45

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

The rigger who checked my rigging found some deterioration in 2 mizzen stays due to galvanized saddles attached by the PO to make a diving platform.

The rigger replaced the damaged stays and added a triasic from the mizzen to the main.
michaelratinter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inspection, rigging