Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2017, 09:01   #1

Boat: J/88
Add a Spinlock XAS clutch

Currently have twin sets of doubles and one single on the coach roof but I want a sixth clutch there. Seems I could add a single (drill new holes), swap the single for a double (may not have to make new holes), or I see I could get a triple.
Any thoughts as to the best strategy? Obviously the single is the cheapest way but I hate drilling holes in the boat having had a boat with wet core in the past. On this topic, I have read that Beneteau builds the areas of hardware mounting to be solid under rather than cored there. This area is accessible underneath but I have not checked for room on the backing plate.
Advice before I start buying stuff?

Dan
Old 05-11-2017, 09:15   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Add a Spinlock XAS clutch

A double requires the same number of bolts (4) as two single clutches. You could only skip this requirment for very light loads such as perhaps lazy jacks.

The XAS is only a small clutch (limited to 400-575 kg even with two bolts per clutch) so make sure the loads are suitable for the new application.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:03   #3

Boat: Swan 432
Re: Add a Spinlock XAS clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
A double requires the same number of bolts (4) as two single clutches. You could only skip this requirment for very light loads such as perhaps lazy jacks.

The XAS is only a small clutch (limited to 400-575 kg even with two bolts per clutch) so make sure the loads are suitable for the new application.
Where can you get the load calculations? I am thinking of removing two of the three winches on each side of the mast and installing a 3-gang clutch on each side. I am not having any luck finding load numbers for the halyards. Lots of calculators out there for head/main sheets but none I could find for halyards. For my size boat various calculators recommend halyards that have breaking values between 8,000 and 10,000 pounds, I have not seen any clutches that can take more than 3,900 pounds.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch