Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2011, 13:42   #1

Boat: Bristol 32
Re: Rigging, Compression Fittings for Standing Rigging

hey fellow cruisers, im going to be redoing my rig in the spring, and am torn between hi-mod fittings, staylocs, or norseman fittings. I know that the hi mods you can reuse the cones, and they have a slimmer profile. The staylocks seem good, and have a good reputation. Im wondering who can weigh in on the positives and negatives of each type of terminal. Im going to be using forks at the top of the rig, and eyes at the bottoms, and on both for and aft stays. Any thing to say? Im definitely not going with swaged fittings.
Maineiac_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 07:07   #2

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood
I have just done a piece on Sta-Lok fittings but will tell you that I have fitted Sta-Lok fittings on many many yachts and have never had one fail,slip or break as I said in my piece the best way to fit them is to brush just a film of VAsalene on the wire and the fittings and they will be good for many years. As to strength Sta-Lok fittings will NEVER let go or break and can be used time and time again as long as you use a new cone We carry some fittings mainly the double joiner as if you havea wire break you can just cut the ends and join them with the fitting. Hope this helps. Regards Pete
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 07:30   #3

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran
Below is a previous post I made on StaLocs, of which our trimaran's rig has 28! I have taken them apart for reuse after over 10 years, and the properly sealed wire inside was PRISTINE!

Regarding Sta locs: After forming the wires and opening them up to inspect for overlaps, or a wire in the slot, Fill the cavity the correct amount first. (ABOUT 60%) Do not get any on the rest of the threads!

These things SHOULD'VE been in the instructions for StaLocs:

DO NOT USE SILICONE, USE 5200! You will have no problems later if you need to re-use it.

Also, USE RED LOCTITE, NOT BLUE! (same as above)

And, if you under fill with caulk, and it doesn't ooze out of the wire end hole of the barrell, ALL the way around, then you under filled it, and need to re do it. When RE doing the caulk. 100% of the 5200 and red locktite MUST be removed from the threads on both parts FIRST!!! The combination of 5200 and loctite on the threads will never set up, but just act as a permanent lubricant.

Done correctly, these things are great! Many are not done correctly...
Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	068_68_00.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	23109  
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compression, rigging