Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2017, 12:36   #46

Boat: Nordic 44
Re: How much for standing rigging inspection?

I had my 17 year old rigging inspected in July of this year by Hartge Yacht Yard near Deale.. cost was $135, but I was 5 minutes away from their shop.
No visual problems observed and of course that is the limitation of any inspection-the Mark I eyeball. I too have Norseman fittings and researched the
availability of new cones. There are none available as they are no longer manufactured. There is a previous thread on that topic. I think all new rigging and fittings plus labor in that area would be in the 6-7G range.
pitlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 13:32   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitlaw View Post
I too have Norseman fittings and researched the
availability of new cones. There are none available as they are no longer manufactured.
Rigging Only has them, including replacement cones for the older style terminals.

Norseman swageless mechanical wire terminations are availible in eye, turnbuckle stud, fork, t-bar, shroud terminals and insulator configurations at Rigging Only | RiggingOnly.com
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 14:41   #48

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew13440 View Post
Yep, they show cones in stock... IF you wand them for 3/4 inch 1x19 or 5/16 inch 7x7 wire. Others are not available.

Sadly, no one has lept into the breach and made aftermarket cones to support the tens of thousands of Norseman fittings around the world.

NavTech's decision to abandon so many of its customers has relegated them to my "never deal with these bastards" category.

I have some 16 terminals on my boat which will require replacement one day due to their policy. I resent this!

Jim
Old 06-12-2017, 14:49   #49

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Sta-Lok made a superior product and Norseman couldn't compete. They did you a favor by dropping their line of swageless fittings.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 15:02   #50

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Sta-Lok made a superior product and Norseman couldn't compete. They did you a favor by dropping their line of swageless fittings.

And imho Hayne is better still, but navtec should have still supported their parts for 10–15 years.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 15:10   #51

Quote:
I happen to agree that Sta-Loks, Haynes and SeaRig terminals are better than Norsemans. However, I can not see how NavTech did me a favour, being that those Norseman fittings have held my mast up for 27 years and well over 100,000 miles now, and I'd like to be able to reuse the terminals again when wires need replacing.

Jim
Old 06-12-2017, 15:13   #52

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

I have a1990 Hunter legend 37.5. Rather than do a visual inspection, I had Haven Harbour in Rock Hall take the mast down and inspect all shrouds and stays, connections and rewire the mast wires and put a LED tricolor/anchor light. I did not replace anything any of the rigging. There were no frayed wires or broken connectors. This cost $3500. Most of the expense was rewiring the electrical wires up the mast. Due to chafe inside the mast from the halyards, the electrical wires were exposed and were causing shorts.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 15:42   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

NavTech's decision to abandon so many of its customers has relegated them to my "never deal with these bastards" category.

Jim
And that's why they (Navtek) are bankrupt and gone....
But you can switch to Hayn.
Hi-MOD Fittings by Hayn Marine
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 15:43   #54

Quote:
I happen to agree that Sta-Loks, Haynes and SeaRig terminals are better than Norsemans. However, I can not see how NavTech did me a favour, being that those Norseman fittings have held my mast up for 27 years and well over 100,000 miles now, and I'd like to be able to reuse the terminals again when wires need replacing.

Jim
I'm not so sure I'd reuse 27 year old fittings with 100,000 miles on them. You got your moneys worth out of them.
Old 06-12-2017, 17:46   #55

Quote:
I'm not so sure I'd reuse 27 year old fittings with 100,000 miles on them. You got your moneys worth out of them.
I bet that you would have said the same thing at 50,000 miles...

We did have one of the T-ball extensions on a lower shroud crack last year, reported here on CF. T-balls are notorious for t his, and I replaced all of them.

But the terminals themselves seem pretty bullet proof, and can be inspected for cracking. Failures of the terminals have not come to my attention. There were some counterfeit Norseman fittings around a few years back. We met a German boat that had lots of them, and they were all cracking visibly... but none had failed catastrophically... he was replacing them none the less, and I would have as well.

We will see what is available w hen the time for wire replacement comes in a few years.

Jim
Old 06-12-2017, 18:20   #56

Quote:
I bet that you would have said the same thing at 50,000 miles...

We did have one of the T-ball extensions on a lower shroud crack last year, reported here on CF. T-balls are notorious for t his, and I replaced all of them.
I think I would have also and I don't suggest replacing rigging at 10 or 15 years either. Maybe at 20 or 25 years for a lightly used boat which covers most of them.
Yep, t-bars are notorious for breaking. I replaced the lower shrouds on my Capri that had them with toggle jaw fittings. The attachment point on the mast wasn't even designed for t-bar fittings. There were reports of several boats losing their mast because of this. I know, it's a Catalina.
Old 06-12-2017, 20:56   #57
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Too many and they’re all for sale

A rig inspection is priceless if it saves your life!

East Coast Riggers are right on site @HHN. They’re not too far out right now either. However they’re not allowed to climb the mast on the hard.

Recent estimates on similar sized boats were about $5,000 for materials and labor.

They’ll also cut rigging to specs for you if you want to DIY by doing a little at a time.

Feel free to ask me about actual full service brokerage for only 7% with Knot 10 Yacht Sales - find me on our crew page, Spencer Kent
FutureStories is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inspection, rigging