Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2017, 23:28   #16

Re: How much for standing rigging inspection?

In Australia you won’t get insurance cover if it’s older than 10 yrs.
You may get an extra yr or two if u get a rigging report that says it ok but 10 yrs is the limit pretty much.
Your rigging needs
Replacing.
Sealife74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 00:26   #17

Boat: Volkscruiser

KMcdonald not to many yachts I survey here in Oz have their original rigging. 10 years is the industry standard after that I would say you are "self insured".
Saying most people are just scaremongering is crazy. I have seen the most well maintained yachts suffer fitting failures. I notice you have a Capri 22 that's a pretty cheap rig to replace compared to most yachts.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:19   #18

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
KMcdonald not to many yachts I survey here in Oz have their original rigging. 10 years is the industry standard after that I would say you are "self insured".
Saying most people are just scaremongering is crazy. I have seen the most well maintained yachts suffer fitting failures. I notice you have a Capri 22 that's a pretty cheap rig to replace compared to most yachts.
Cheers
Yes, under $500 if ordered and installed yourself. I have no 10 year limit on rigging from my insurance. I have replaced the lower shrouds because of improper upper t-bar fittings breaking on several boats but the rest are 13 years old.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:33   #19

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. D View Post
I believe the standing rigging on our 2001 boat is original. So, time for an inspection. The boat is in Herrington Harbour North, Deale, MD, USA. About how much such an inspection cost?
I would suggest that an inspection is waste of time & money.
It is due time to take the mast down, replace all rigging and also check/replace internal cables that go through the spar.
And of course, when mast is down check everything on mast head: windex, antenna/s whatever you have there.
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:51   #20

Boat: Jeanneau 54 DS

My rigging was inspected in 2016 on a 2005 boat. suages showed evidence of cracks.
54 foot Jeanneau rigging replacement is round 16k, yours will be a little less for the length of the wire but the work and fitting will be similar. Best of luck. A difficult decision.
bjymd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:53   #21

Boat: Island Packet 32

I just replaced the rigging on my 30 year old boat and I was told by the rigger that it was original. It had distressed pins and broken strands. The turn buckles were all good. Costs can vary widely so shop for price and quality, nothing like word of mouth for finding quality. My rigger (SSMR in St Pete Fl) charged $85 for the inspection. I brought it to their waterside facility and they use a cherry picker and a climber. I talked to others at a boat show and got quotes as much as $500 for at your dock service. Costs for replacement depends on what all you replace, turn buckles are expensive, wire size etc. I replaced all the wire and pins on my double back stay, cutter rig, also got new life lines (uncovered) with new pelican hooks, and had them replace the VHF coax down the mast. All for something shy of $3K, I want to say the rigging quote was $1800. They would have had it all done in less than a day if the coax could have been delivered that day (or I could have gone somewhere and bought it) but instead took a couple hours into the next. The beer came out after hours and we all putzed around in the shop until about 7, after which they locked me into the yard and I used my dink to go to dinner. Anybody with a rigging need on the west coast of Florida should definitely give them consideration, they are worth taking a cruise to get there.
CaptRory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:22   #22

Boat: OEM, proportional

Has anyone been so bold to go to galvanised steel rigging instead of stainless?
Old 05-12-2017, 09:23   #23

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
$1600 to $2500 for parts and $600 to $1000 labor. I have no intentions of replacing the rigging on my '02 boat anytime soon. Raced weekly and sailed 4 days/week year round, Pacific ocean.
And how much will cost to replace the mast on your boat when it breaks?
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:24   #24
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
On a 16 year old rig a replacement is on order assuming the boat was normally used. On an inspection you can see if there are faulty parts but not if the metal has fatigue.
This really depends on the area. The Chesapeake Bay is predominantly light wind and most boats are at the dock >340 days a year. Not a lot of fatigue. It is also brakish, only about 30% saline, where the PO is. The harbor is well protected, so it is not working at the dock.

It comes down to how the boat was rigged. I've seen fatigue on boats that wee lightly rigged and driven hard for 15 years. I've seen boats over 30 with no cause for worry.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:28   #25

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
I believe the standing rigging on our 2001 boat is original. So, time for an inspection. The boat is in Herrington Harbour North, Deale, MD, USA. About how much such an inspection cost?
I don't know but that's why I like Norseman fitting that you can put together & inspect yourself:

Cheers !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Norseman.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	160135  
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:36   #26
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
And how much will cost to replace the mast on your boat when it breaks?
How many dismastings do we get on the Chesapeake Bay? A very, very small number, and all that I know of were the result of pins coming out, not breakage.

I am VERY much in favor of inspections. You should be up the mast every year, at least, looking at everything with a jaundice eye. No big deal. Perhaps I am biased, because in my old day job I was licensed to inspec large oil tanks and refinery equipment, including UT and x-ray. So I know how and what to look for. I'm also fond of high places.

That said, most of the failures I have seen have been right at deck level (toggles and lower swages) and anyone could have seen them. I'm guessing there is more salt down there.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:38   #27

Boat: Gulfstar 41' ketch

Unfortunately from what I have heard Norseman is no longer made and cones are getting scarce. Correct me if otherwise please.
sailor_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:40   #28

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
A third on Polux’s comments.

Don’t inspect the rigging, put the money into replacement.
This. I'm sure your insurance company would agree.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 10:07   #29

Boat: Hunter 31 (1987)

Quote:
East Coast Rigging at HHN will inspect for $150 or provide a written report for insurance purposes for $250. Am looking to replace my Hunter 31 with 30 year old rigging for ~$5200. They are pretty helpful there, but rigging replacement is not cheap.
KMCMWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 10:14   #30

Boat: Oday 25

During fall of 2016 during haul out, we noticed a broken strand on our upper shroud on our 84 Oday 25. We pulled the mast and examination showed that only one strand was left holding up the mast. A close call. We replaced all the standing wire with new.
ebsail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inspection, rigging