Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2017, 18:12   #1

hi wind and screecher unfurl

I have a laminate screecher on my sprit with roller furling. Tack attached to roller furler and head to the halyard with a swivel. Usually I just furl it but it will unfurl in high winds 30+ by blowing open a spot on the furl away from where the sheets wrap even with the furling line cleated Since this incident I am constantly taking down this sail when not in use. I want to find a way to leave this up and not have this problem. The only way I have been able to accomplish is by using sail ties every 6 ft or so but that means I have to drop it to the deck, remove the ties and relift it when I leave the dock or anchorage.

Any thoughts? Anyone else have this problem?
kps0927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 18:44   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: hi wind and screecher unfurl

What kind of UV protection does it have, you sure you want to leave it up all the time?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 18:50   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
What kind of UV protection does it have, you sure you want to leave it up all the time?
It has a a black sunbrella canvas UV. It extends about 16 inches from the foot of the sail and 10 or so inches up the leach. when furled there is no sail showing. The canvas is about a year old.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:49   #4

Boat: Privilege 435

Is it a roller furler or a continuous line furler? For the sail to unfurl, the furler must turn? Is there no way of locking the line by tying it off?
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:15   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privilege View Post
Is it a roller furler or a continuous line furler? For the sail to unfurl, the furler must turn? Is there no way of locking the line by tying it off?
The furler line is cleated. The wind gets in the turns of the sail and blows portions open which tightens the furl below the opening. Since there is only the sail itself from the head swivel to the furling drum it does not act like my jib that has the stiff pole and boltrope that holds the jib tight when furled.

I attached pic with sail ties on screacher. Almost think that having a sock that is pulled down after furled may do the trick but what a PITA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170329_094801.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	420.3 KB
ID:	153601  
Old 07-08-2017, 08:33   #6

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

As far as I know the only way to prevent that is to roll and bag the sausage.

It's so easy to drop when in the sausage shape there's no reason to leave it up, and it makes a mess of the airflow over the headsail when you're not using it.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:39   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
As far as I know the only way to prevent that is to roll and bag the sausage.

It's so easy to drop when in the sausage shape there's no reason to leave it up, and it makes a mess of the airflow over the headsail when you're not using it.
Thanks, but the problem exists that I would have to shimmy out onto the sprit to attach the sail when ready to use or leave it all over my deck. I havent measured the height, but it would be over 50 ft of sausage on my foredeck.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:57   #8

Boat: Pearson 10M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kps0927 View Post
Thanks, but the problem exists that I would have to shimmy out onto the sprit to attach the sail when ready to use or leave it all over my deck. I havent measured the height, but it would be over 50 ft of sausage on my foredeck.
You could use a block and downhaul to mount the tack, that would allow you to attach the tack while firmly on deck.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 10:26   #9

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by kps0927 View Post
Is it furled on a foil? or just a torsion rope?

If the latter, you don't keep it in the long configuration, you fold and flop to make it fit in a bag.

the tack is easy, a single part or 2:1 tack line (low to no stretch) to allow you to tack on while on the nets.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 10:46   #10

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

I vote for the sock idea. PTY extra halyard and finding a sock but once solved you will only need to hoist when high winds expected so sock need not be extremely UV resistant.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 12:07   #11

Boat: Seawind 1160 38' # 60

We have had that problem on our Seawind 1160 Bama Breeze . using the electric winch I will tighten up the sail using the continuous furler . with the screecher sheet rapped once around another winch . this allows you to keep tension on the sail . Now look at the top of the sail as you roll it up , always keeping the sheet tight , if it looks loose fall off the wind and try again , need to keep it tight from the top down . Over 18 knots of wind pretty hard if you dont fall off . even back at dock if it doesn't look tight I will unroll and do it again . Good luck , My Wife hates that sail . Dave S/Cat BamaBreeze
David Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 12:45   #12

I would consider going with another proper furler with hard foils and a luff tape..I have seen broken masts fron these kinds of set ups. Tacks letting go and the full screecher running up the luff line. The luff line also has to be a special non twisting one.or it will do this sort of thing.
Rigger Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 14:54   #13

Boat: Catalina 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
I vote for the sock idea. PTY extra halyard and finding a sock but once solved you will only need to hoist when high winds expected so sock need not be extremely UV resistant.
Totally agree. First thing that came to my mind. Maybe not perfect but a much easier method than pulling the sail down. Everything is relative.
Seas the Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 15:24   #14

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigger Bruce View Post
I would consider going with another proper furler with hard foils and a luff tape..I have seen broken masts fron these kinds of set ups. Tacks letting go and the full screecher running up the luff line. The luff line also has to be a special non twisting one.or it will do this sort of thing.
Okay, I'm a bit lost. How would a sail, even one of these, break a mast? And one what sort of boat? As a sail breaking a mast is a new one for me.

For the OP, what's the issue with dropping the sail & stowing it belowdecks? It's not as if the sail is heavy, or unwieldy. And it takes but a couple of minutes. Probably less time, in fact, then the sail tie or sock/sleeve route.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 15:46   #15

hi wind and screecher unfurl

When I fly my assymetrics I have the lazy sheet going on the outside of the roller. It means I have to do an outside gybe but it also means that when it is rolled in, I can tighten the sheets and the roller and the sail can not come loose.

Also, I added a tack line to my bowsprit that the roller hooks onto, so it allows me to bring the roller to the bow for unhooking the sail.

I have a sock for my genoa, but it is only used when the boat is left for extended periods. it's a PITA to fit and I could not imagine fitting it at sea when the wind is picking up, stupid idea.

Tags
wind