Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2017, 22:59   #1

Boat: Norseman 447
Synthetic, Dynice Dux rigging, noise problems

Hi, I just recently re rigged my Islander Freeport 36 with Dynice Dux, swapped out 1/4" SS for 8mm Dux, very happy with result and no issues so far except one, when sitting at anchor and the wind gets up rigging hums quite loudly, Im assuming its caused by the fact that Dux is slightly square shaped instead of round and this causes it to vibrate and harmonic, anybody else who's made the change noticed this?
Nauticatarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 00:55   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Synthetic, Dynice Dux rigging, noise problems

Warwick, our dyneema runners will vibrate in strong winds, but they are more or less round. Being only runners, at rest we can take the load off them and kill the humming. Harder to do with shrouds... but I don't really think the cross sectional shape will matter. The vibration is caused by vortex shedding, and that can occur with any shape.

Jim
Old 16-08-2017, 02:24   #3

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Try reducing or changing the period and tension by tying one or two lines around the shrouds and back to the mast.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 05:58   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticatarcher View Post
Hi, I just recently re rigged my Islander Freeport 36 with Dynice Dux, swapped out 1/4" SS for 8mm Dux, very happy with result and no issues so far except one, when sitting at anchor and the wind gets up rigging hums quite loudly, Im assuming its caused by the fact that Dux is slightly square shaped instead of round and this causes it to vibrate and harmonic, anybody else who's made the change noticed this?
Not uncommon--akin to a Wind Harp. Adding a damper can reduce the problem somewhat. As previously noted, try some damping lines--preferably shock-cord--back to the mast.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 18:08   #5

I don't know what effect this may have on the strength of the rigging but you could try putting a twist into the lines that hum; basically, slacken and free one end then twist it about its own axis one or two times. I've found this trick to work when securing loads to truck/trailer beds for transport over roads.

Once again, I'm not sure what impact on the strength of the rigging this might have but I wouldn't expect it to be any real impact.
mickeyelam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 22:10   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

You just have an unfortunate harmonic with the wind speed, and vortex shedding. Mine do this at about 15kn, but only upwind... Slightly tensioning them, or easing them,, or pulling them with a bit of bungie. Pretty much anything that changes the natural frequency of the line.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise, rigging