Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2021, 17:56   #1

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Get rid of it before it gets you.

Hi all,

For the last ten years I’ve lived with this halyard winch, knowing full well it is a murderous bastard just itching to kill me in one of a dozen ways.

I’ve worked around the worst of the problems related to handles flying off and breaking limbs, noses, faces etc by religiously keeping the handle out of the winch at all times.

So, therefore, when it managed to drag my finger into the mechanism the other night I couldn’t reach the handle to wind it back.

Thankfully the admiral is calm under pressure and a qualified nurse, so she was able to come and extract me before staunching the worst of the bleeding.

The jury is out on whether I’ll lose my fingernail, but there’s no doubt I’ll have an impressive scar. Cleaning up the blood from around the boat will take a while too.

Anyway, this a call to any of us who, like me, have been intending to replace these winches to do it now. It may have taken ten years, but it finally got me, don’t let yours get you too.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0023.jpg
Views:	716
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	239745
Old 04-06-2021, 18:02   #2

Boat: Farr 43`
Re: Get rid of it before it gets you.

When you take it off I would like to have it.

So rare to find second hand gear here that doesn't involve 10 x the value of the item shipping from US.
Rucksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 18:20   #3

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

My plan is to cermonially burn it at midnight while offering a suitable tribute to whichever gods of sea and wind are hanging around.

I could not, with a clear concience, allow anyone else to be maimed by the lothesome thing, particularly now that it has developed a taste for blood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta View Post

So rare to find second hand gear here that doesn't involve 10 x the value of the item shipping from US.
Old 04-06-2021, 19:27   #4

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
My plan is to cermonially burn it at midnight while offering a suitable tribute to whichever gods of sea and wind are hanging around.

I could not, with a clear concience, allow anyone else to be maimed by the lothesome thing, particularly now that it has developed a taste for blood.
Well said.
I had a similar one which I just removed after a few years of taking the risk. My halyards are now all rope.
I'll place mine in the locker, the Davy Jones one.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 22:26   #5

Boat: Volkscruiser

I am hearing you GiLow. I have never used one until last month and it was mounted on the deck of the boat I was surveying. It worked well getting the mainsail up. But when it came time to drop the mainsail I was bent over it trying to work out how to release the brake. I finally worked it out but stupidly I had left the handle in the top. I came within a whisker of having my teeth knocked out!
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 22:42   #6

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

OMG ! i didn't think there was any of those still in existence !

we had one on the first boat i did hobart on. let us down during the race and we finished with the handle lashed to the mast and unable to reef...

give it a buoyancy test - quickly

cheers,

cheers,
Old 05-06-2021, 03:01   #7
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

Better get rid of your windlass and anchor chain too then. That gear is 10x more dangerous if you don't know how to use it correctly amd can and will do much more damage to limbs and extremities when improperly used.

Or just learn to use the equipment the right way and quit blaming inanimate objects for lack of knowledge and proper procedures while operating them.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 04:14   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
Or just learn to use the equipment the right way and quit blaming inanimate objects for lack of knowledge and proper procedures while operating them.
https://gph.is/g/ZWl86rK
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 04:43   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Better get rid of your windlass and anchor chain too then. That gear is 10x more dangerous if you don't know how to use it correctly amd can and will do much more damage to limbs and extremities when improperly used.

All correct, but a couple of points.

First, other than hoisting by hand there aren't really any options to having an anchor windlass. However a halyard reel winch is easily replaced by a standard winch that works better and is much safer.

Also with an anchor windlass it is generally quite easy, simple and obvious to use it safely and 99.9% of the time one is using an anchor windlass in calm, low stress situations. With a reel winch on the mast the boat might be pitching and rolling, sails flogging while trying to reef in a strong wind, and other situations that makes it a lot easier for the operator to slip, inadvertently place him/her self in harms way or just make a mistake.

Easy to say using the equipment correctly will avoid the problem but with a reel winch it is just all too easy to slip up or make a mistake. However I learned a long time ago that I'm not perfect and do occasionally screw up which in this case could have quite painful consequences.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 04:45   #10

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30

To the OP: Yes, deep six the thing. Many things on boats are potentially dangerous, but some, like this type of winch and petrol engines are not worth the risk. The argument about chain and anchor winches is specious because there is no real alternative to these items. If there is I’d like to know about it.
Reel winches only use wire halyards, why would anyone want to be using wire halyards at this point? They are heavy and get “meathooks”. modern low-stretch lines make wire halyards obsolete.
I had a crappy 2hp off-brand outboard that let me down so many times I deep sixed it rather than pass it along. It felt good to just drop it over the side (offshore in really deep water).
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 08:04   #11

Boat: Freedom 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta View Post
Now you did it... cha -Ching!!! LoL
gulfcoastsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 08:14   #12

Quote:
quit blaming inanimate objects for lack of knowledge and proper procedures while operating them.

Apparently you've never heard of Resistentialism. The struggle is real.
miketo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 08:29   #13

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

We just replaced the last two of those B****d's last year. I thought we were the last boat in existence to have them. And they are indeed dangerous - and clumsy. Not to replace them would be like keeping your abacus around - just because it still comes up with the answer.
Old 05-06-2021, 08:40   #14

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post

Just chuck it overboard - if it floats, you'll know it's a witch and then you can burn it.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 08:46   #15

Boat: Quickstep 24

Quote:

Nope! It's all well and good to preach but humans being humans ..... Saying "it seemed like an OK idea at the time" is not a good plan.

I'm willing to bet my life that you have taken some chances that in review were not exactly brilliant. We all have. Don't provide the temptation and then never have to suffer the consequences.

Safe sailing.
RiverRat37 is offline   Reply With Quote