Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2022, 06:10   #121
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: What off-the-shelf refrigerator are you using?

It must be the whereabouts that make the difference. In the Caribbean the majority of sailboats are over 40’ and I would argue 80% or more (catamarans being the low end because they have much more room).

If you only have 14% that are 40+ feet then you’re not in the Caribbean.

144V is very popular for electric propulsion. Example: https://www.emarineinc.com/Elco-EP-1...Electric-Motor

I think in Europe all 50’ boats and up that are built are 24V or higher.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 06:37   #122

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
Re: What off-the-shelf refrigerator are you using?

Chotu,
I have a 12v only fridge that was reasonably priced that is made by a Canadian company for the off-grid market. The brand is "Unique" and it uses the Danfoss Seacop Bd 35 compressor just like most of the big name brands so the only differences would be the cabinet and insulation. None of the off the shelf brands are going to be as efficient in the tropics as a well insulated box with a water cooled compressor but as with everything else they just need to be good enough and with enough solar they are. Cats can easily use stand alone fridges .I fully agree with you about the top loading ones being a pita to use. Everyone seems to think they are more efficient but i feel the same as you on that front.I considered going the 110v dorm fridge route but most of the ones i looked at in the size i could fit were more designed for maximum beer can storage than food storage.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator