Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2022, 14:23   #91

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: What off-the-shelf refrigerator are you using?

I got this beauty!!

2 amps per hour thanks to super efficient compressor.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Elect...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2022, 20:01   #92

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
2 amps per hour thanks to super efficient compressor.
Ampere is already a per-time unit.

2 amp-hours per hour makes sense. 2 amps per hour does not.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2022, 21:11   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
Ampere is already a per-time unit.

2 amp-hours per hour makes sense. 2 amps per hour does not.
That’s not how we speak colloquially. And I’ve noticed if I speak like the trained physicist that I am, people are pretty put off and think I’m a jerk.

You shouldn’t make points like that. It doesn’t make you look good. And it doesn’t make people like you. Trust me. I had to change.
Old 28-11-2022, 21:50   #94

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
That’s not how we speak colloquially. And I’ve noticed if I speak like the trained physicist that I am, people are pretty put off and think I’m a jerk.

You shouldn’t make points like that. It doesn’t make you look good. And it doesn’t make people like you. Trust me. I had to change.
If I were ranting about how we should be using coulombs instead of amp-hours you might have a point. That's just pedantry.

But amps per hour makes no more sense than knots per hour.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2022, 21:51   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
If I were ranting about how we should be using coulombs instead of amp-hours you might have a point. That's just pedantry.

But amps per hour makes no more sense than knots per hour.
Maybe to an inflexible person with no social skills, yes.

To the rest of the world, everyone understands and in fact, speaks that way.

You’d do better to join them in their own language when having simple conversations.

We aren’t in a lab here. We are speaking informally.

The more intelligent person doesn’t make these types of “corrections.” They learn to speak the language of those around them while knowing the correct facts inside themselves. They are able to operate in both worlds.

Who/whom is a great example of something similar.
Old 28-11-2022, 22:32   #96

Boat: Island Packet 40

Who/whom is being a bit pedantic but correcting amps per hour is pretty mild and not deserving of censure.

Amp hours is generally only used to indicate battery capacity and amps is also fairly meaningless for a refrigerator unless you also specify the voltage.
Old 29-11-2022, 01:37   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Who/whom is being a bit pedantic but correcting amps per hour is pretty mild and not deserving of censure.

Amp hours is generally only used to indicate battery capacity and amps is also fairly meaningless for a refrigerator unless you also specify the voltage.

Oh yeah. Ok. My 120 volt battery bank is using 2 AMPS with this refrigerator.

You guys sure know how to make everything suck with idiotic minutiae. Just like that moronic screws or rivets thread ending.

Another thread on ignore because it’s devolving into sheer idiocy.

Seriously considering quitting this forum and just sending private invites to the helpful people from the past that are on the list for trying the boat out.

Where did we get this current active crop from anyway?

Can’t have a simple discussion about refrigerators without the word police coming in to “correct “ the follow up post showing success?

I know why. You have none of your own.

Thread on ignore. If this happens again, it’s 3 strikes and I’m out. I can see why a lot of people have left or don’t post much anymore
Old 29-11-2022, 03:52   #98

If it's an AC fridge 120 DC is not going to get it going. Sealed unit fridge compressors employ brush free induction motors, if they used brushed motors the carbon residues from the brushes would tend to clog up the cap tubes or orifice in the TX Valve.

The Australian colloquial for your response is "spitting the dummy".
Old 01-12-2022, 05:34   #99

Does anyone have experience with VEVOR 12 Volt Car Refrigerator Portable Freezer 63Qt Dual Zone?

Off the shelf
richrd westin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 05:38   #100
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
What off-the-shelf refrigerator are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by richrd westin View Post
Does anyone have experience with VEVOR 12 Volt Car Refrigerator Portable Freezer 63Qt Dual Zone?

Off the shelf

The Vevor appears to be an exact replica of our Alpicool, maybe exact same unit just rebranded?
We’ve owned 3 Alpicool’s and have been very happy with them.
Just to clarify, we have no experience with the dual zone.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 05:26   #101

Boat: Freedom 32

I am happy with my Alpicool K25. Cost me $280 and has pretty low consumption. It has a 45W motor and will use about 24 amp hrs per day. I have 100W solar and 2 x 100w batteries which do the job.

I have put a half inch thick closed cell foam jacket over it and fill the free space with cans. The fridge cycles on considerably less when it is full. This is a good solution for a small boat with limited space for solar.
Craig Cape Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 06:47   #102
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Cape Town View Post
I am happy with my Alpicool K25. Cost me $280 and has pretty low consumption. It has a 45W motor and will use about 24 amp hrs per day. I have 100W solar and 2 x 100w batteries which do the job.

I have put a half inch thick closed cell foam jacket over it and fill the free space with cans. The fridge cycles on considerably less when it is full. This is a good solution for a small boat with limited space for solar.
Power consumption is expressed in Wh or kWh. When you use Ah it is meaningless without stating at which voltage.

I have tested with the insulating jackets and found there is no measurable difference in energy consumption. It does protect the box though.

Filling the free space does help a lot; I never did any measurements but like you, noticed the reduced runtime which was significant

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 10:25   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Power consumption is expressed in Wh or kWh. When you use Ah it is meaningless without stating at which voltage.

I have tested with the insulating jackets and found there is no measurable difference in energy consumption. It does protect the box though.

Filling the free space does help a lot; I never did any measurements but like you, noticed the reduced runtime which was significant
There's a thread by Ozepete where he presents data on the results of tests by his company Ozefridge comparing the performances of their eutectic system and a fairly standard arrangement with similar volumes of containment and condensing units. From memory it was documented that the eutectic system used about 40% less power than the non eutectic.

The lower power use was attributed to the number of condensing unit start ups required by the continuous cycling system versus the once a day or so for the eutectic. By loading the enclosure with liquid, which would tend to store cold one probably reduces the number of start ups and gains the power saving thereto.
Old 03-12-2022, 14:33   #104

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
What off-the-shelf refrigerator are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

…..

Ahr is a perfectly acceptable unit to express energy use when discussing electrical use on recreational boats.
While there are boats that have systems that have nominal voltages other than 12v, the vast majority are 12v nominal.
If power use is discussed in terms of amps or amp-hours then:
A. There are less likely to be conversion errors when sizing wiring where you could undersize the wire which might result in a fire or oversizing the wiring which would be costly.
B. Easier top of the head estimations of battery use and charging requirements. Ahr in is about the same as Ahr out, differences in voltage mostly account for entropy & charging losses.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 15:51   #105
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Ahr is a perfectly acceptable unit to express energy use when discussing electrical use on recreational boats.
While there are boats that have systems that have nominal voltages other than 12v, the vast majority are 12v nominal.
If power use is discussed in terms of amps or amp-hours then:
A. There are less likely to be conversion errors when sizing wiring where you could undersize the wire which might result in a fire or oversizing the wiring which would be costly.
B. Easier top of the head estimations of battery use and charging requirements. Ahr in is about the same as Ahr out, differences in voltage mostly account for entropy & charging losses.
I do not agree with you. Ah is meaningless when you do not specify the voltage. We have many, many 24V boats, 36V and now more and more 48V boats.

Wire sizing has nothing to do with energy consumption. Wires need to be sized for maximum amperage, which is very different from Ah. This is a major error to make when determining wire size requirements.

Wh and kWh is much easier when battery capacity is expressed in kWh as well. My main house battery is 10.5kWh; I doubt many can tell how many Ah’s. Ah is only meant to be used for batteries, not appliances.

It’s all well to use a flawed unit as long as it it usable by specifying the system voltage. Why would you argue to use Ah and resist stating the voltage? That’s so illogical

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator