Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2024, 21:13   #16

Boat: 1991 Caliber 33
Re: What is this sink drain part?

Based on all the varied input, which is appreciated, it appears obvious that what I have is not a commonly used item in marine plumbing. Based on, if it ain't broke don't fix it, I should leave it alone, but I'm replacing my sanitation hoses and plan to set up a fresh water system flush using water from the sink. Since I need to tap into the sink drain, I may as well install a standard drain fitting to the sink. Or not.

DD
DoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2024, 06:35   #17

DoubleD:

sez: "...plan to set up a fresh water system flush using water from the sink. Since I need to tap into the sink drain, I may as well install a standard drain fitting to the sink..."

How, exactly are you planning to do that? What do you hope to achieve?

The system in the Caliber 33 is probably perfectly sound and accommodates the legal requirements for waste disposal that obtain in the Salish Sea.

The hose from the hand basin (let's be precise about the terminology. the "sink" is in the galley) is unlikely to need changing. If there's a smell in your heads, it's likely to come from the hose leading from the toilet to the holding tank, from the hose leading from holding tank to the "through hull" or (less likely) from holding tank to pump-out fitting in the deck. So change them and nowt else.

The water in a full hand basin is NOT enough to flush the head after a "number 2" and in any event you don't want soap/detergent contaminating the contents of the holding tank.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2024, 22:51   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
DoubleD:

sez: "...plan to set up a fresh water system flush using water from the sink. Since I need to tap into the sink drain, I may as well install a standard drain fitting to the sink..."

How, exactly are you planning to do that? What do you hope to achieve?

The system in the Caliber 33 is probably perfectly sound and accommodates the legal requirements for waste disposal that obtain in the Salish Sea.

The hose from the hand basin (let's be precise about the terminology. the "sink" is in the galley) is unlikely to need changing. If there's a smell in your heads, it's likely to come from the hose leading from the toilet to the holding tank, from the hose leading from holding tank to the "through hull" or (less likely) from holding tank to pump-out fitting in the deck. So change them and nowt else.

The water in a full hand basin is NOT enough to flush the head after a "number 2" and in any event you don't want soap/detergent contaminating the contents of the holding tank.

TrentePieds

I should have been clearer in describing my plans. I plan to plumb my sanitation system to use Salish Sea water from the thru hull, for flushing the #1’s and 2’s into the holding tank, or overboard where legal. The “fresh water flush”, is to clear out the sea water from the inlet hose, toilet and discharge hoses when putting the boat away for the day. Per the Head Mistress, sea water in these areas can be a source of odor. I’ve attached a diagram of this system. Steps are, close the sea water inlet and above water “hand basin” drain thru hulls, open the “hand basin” line valve, fill the “hand basin” with fresh water and flush. I’ve already removed all the old stinky sanitation hoses and toilet, and will be installing a new Raritan manual toilet and Sani/flex hoses. A fresh start so to speak.

DD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-16 224118.png
Views:	46
Size:	341.9 KB
ID:	285880  
Old 31-01-2024, 23:08   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post
The “fresh water flush”, is to clear out the sea water from the inlet hose, toilet and discharge hoses when putting the boat away for the day. Per the Head Mistress, sea water in these areas can be a source of odor. DD
Yes, but the Head Mistress is assuming you are going to use clean fresh water to do the flushing. The water from the sink is anything but clean. It will have food particules and grease in it. Far from flushing, you would create a lovely biological soup out of sight for things to breed. Leave it a few days and the pong from seawater will be nothing compared to this peri dish.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 00:01   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Yes, but the Head Mistress is assuming you are going to use clean fresh water to do the flushing. The water from the sink is anything but clean. It will have food particules and grease in it. Far from flushing, you would create a lovely biological soup out of sight for things to breed. Leave it a few days and the pong from seawater will be nothing compared to this peri dish.

Pete
The plan would be to use fresh water from the faucet to fill the hand basin. But if the assumption is that the basin drain hose and/or contraption under mine, is contaminated with food or grease, then there is more reason to replace with new hose. I don’t use hand basin in the head for much other than rinsing my hands. It’s too small for much else.

DD
Old 01-02-2024, 07:29   #21

DoubleD sez: "I don’t use hand basin in the head for much other than rinsing my hands. It’s too small for much else."

Quite!

As another Salish Sea sailor sporting a five tonner, I can only concur :-)! But I think you are shooting sparrows with cannon!

The quantity of fresh water you'll need to maintain "stink-free" hoses by this means is far, far greater than your FW tank capacity will tolerate.

Being in Bellingham is a bit of a PITA, of course, sanitation-wise, since there is no way to conveniently and speedily get yourself 3 NM of the nearest land. But there are excellent pump-out stations in the Port of Bellingham, so use them. There is no charge for the service as I recall.

"Normally", with a Raritan pump head and Salish Sea flushing water, we Canadians would just get ourselves three miles off the nearest land, on a falling tide and going more than four knots, then pump the bejabers out of it.

Can't do that in B'ham, but what you can do is pump out your holding tank, then, via the Raritan, pump it full if seawater (which now becomes "black water") and go to a pumping stating and empty the tank. After all, the service is free :-)

But IMO you will not be bothered with "boat aromas" if you keep your boat well ventilated at all times and if you replace permeable hoses at some reasonable interval s.a., say, every third year. Half hour job at the most.

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote