Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2010, 14:47   #1

Boat: Gulfstar 37 sloop
Galley Sink Drain

Final touches on my freshwater re-commission on my Gulfstar 37. My old drain for the galley sink was below the waterline and through the cockpit drains. I have a hunch that this was done sometime after the boat was built. My question is where is the proper location for the sink to drain? My only option for an above the waterline drain will be on the same manifold as the bilge pump. What is considered "standard", if such a standard exists? As always, thanks in advance to those who have an opinion.

Stirfryd
Stirfryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2010, 20:03   #2

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 38
If the level of the sink is below the waterline, then your safest bet would be to put in a vented loop and a pump (can be a manual or foot-powered pump) to get the gray water over the side. This method would allow you to drain to a through-hull either above or below the waterline.

I personally would not connect the sink drain to anything attached to a binge pump output for fear of backfilling the sink with bilge water.

Not really good for anything, but fun to push down the stairs.
rustypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2010, 22:52   #3

My drain is below the waterline and works just fine. I wouldn't want the stuff going down the drain to be getting spit out my topsides. It would be a gross stain of toothpaste, tomato sauce, and milk. Ugh.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2010, 23:19   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
With people environmental concerns I think its best to drain belwo the water line. Then the pover zealous harbour master can't see your tea water going into his nice harbour

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 01:01   #5

Boat: Warwick Cardinal 46
mid ship under water works just fine. No stains and not visible both of which are important cosiderations.
s/y spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 16:25   #6

Thanks all. I will plump her back the way she was...tee'd into the cockpit drain thru-hull.
Old 20-04-2010, 19:12   #7

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
The galley sink or any other sink should not be tee'd into a cockpit drain (scupper) system. It should have its own thruhull somewhere close below the sink and below the waterline.
- - Cockpit drains/scuppers are designed to empty a "pooped" cockpit (a wave coming aboard and filling up the cockpit. Cockpit drains/scuppers are normally located - above - the waterline on the sides of the boat. This is so that sea-life cannot normally get into the cockpit drain/scupper through-hulls and restrict the flow of the draining water from the cockpit. If you plumb the galley sink into the cockpit drain/scuppers then should the cockpit get "pooped" (fill with water from a wave) it is highly likely that the water may back up the galley sink drain and flood the inside of the boat.
- - Cockpit drains/scuppers should be kept totally separate from any other drain system on the boat.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 22:26   #8

Boat: Swan 56
A vote for osirssail's comments.

Also for spindrift's

Would just like to add that locating on the centreline also minimises the chance of a reverse flow.
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2010, 01:06   #9

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000
Echo Osirssail's comments...NOTHING should be plumbed into cockpit drains...they should only drain the cockpit above the waterline.
Sink drains should be on or close to the centre line so that they drain equally well on either tack.
If the sink drain goes to its own thruhull as it should there will be no reverse flow.
Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 12:25   #10

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA
Pearson 323 connects

Ive been looking at the P323 for months now and all of them seem to have the galley sink running to the port cockpit drain before emptying below the waterline near the engine. It appears to be the way it was designed.

austin

p.s. I see that the post is old but maybe there are more thoughts
theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 09:11   #11

Galley Sink Drain

Dear theway,
After looking at a few pics of other GS 37's my conclusion was the same: they designed it that way. Good or bad. I am hooking mine up the way it was. just with bigger hose. I'm sure it wont drain any faster than it used to. There is about a two foot fall from the bottom of the sink to the water line on my boat. Another thru hull at the waterline would not work well, since I have deep cockpit lockers on both sides of my boat. The hose would have to run thru the middle of a locker. The old drain obviously worked (not well) for 30 years. The new one will as well.

Stirfryd
Old 26-10-2010, 20:52   #12

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
I just found this post. My boat was built to Lloyds 1A standards and there are two two-and-a-half inch hoses that are connected from the cockpit drains to two seacocks below the waterline. Furthermore, the factory plumbed all of the bilge pumps into the cockpit drain hoses. But, then, what do the Dutch know about building boats?

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote