Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2022, 18:56   #1

Boat: Southerly 480
Vetus WW80W waste tank drain leak

The drain connection on my waste tank has a leak, and I didn't have time this weekend to investigate after cleaning up.

Does anyone know if the drain connection on the Vetus tank can be replaced or re-set? It looks like there's a connector ring that can be unscrewed and then reset. I'm hoping I don't have to get a new tank. It looks like I should be able to unscrew and re-set.

pics attached

shimari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 20:16   #2

Re: Vetus WW80W waste tank drain leak

Looks like it is replaceable
https://www.defender.com/product.jsp...SABEgL0BvD_BwE
Old 11-10-2022, 13:48   #3

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

The replacement fitting in the link is described as being for a flexible tank, perhaps it's the same as yours, which appears to be a rigid tank?
Anyway, fittings such as you have are extremely susceptible to leaks if any but the slightest amount of sideways pressure are put upon them.
That VERY short hose connection, with that stiff hose will apply pressure to the fitting if ANY misalignment/torque is applied.
Some may doubt, but that connecting hose is a prime situation for a short section of molded radiator hose.
Nice and soft, will not apply untoward sideways pressure.
Easy to install, NAPA will have countless part#s to choose from, you'll have to get one longer than you need and cut out a section, but you'll have spares for years.
If further separation between those fittings can be arranged it's all to the better.
Old 11-10-2022, 14:35   #4

You're right. I did paste the wrong link. I did order the right one (out of stock currently of course) though.

I think Discovery was on to the fact that the slightest movement causes a leak as they glassed in a shelf to hold the hose and presumably prevent the sideways pressure.

The radiator hose is an interesting idea, and it definitely wouldn't create the sideways pressure. I'm planning on adding a ball valve immediately after the tank to prevent the discharge hose from gunking up (I'm in a NDZ) for the next year or two. So, I was thinking of using a piece of PVC, through the shelf to a mounted ball valve. I'd make sure the PVC couldn't move at all. The plan is still a work in progress.