Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2019, 09:15   #1

Boat: Hunter 34
Westerbeke 21 Oil Drain Plug Leak

perhaps someone has run across this problem before. My oil drain plug was leaking. The plug is inserted through a drain hose which has a banjo fitting on the end where the plug goes through up into the engine. I wasn't sure if the leak was the plug or the hose fitting. So I decided to replace both. Problem is, a prior owner had stripped the flanges on the bolt head, and that plus because of where it is (under the engine and almost completely inaccessible). Anyway, had to pull the engine to get the plug out. Bought a new plug, hose, and washers. Reinstalled no problem. Snugged it down with a little loctite on the plug thread like the manual calls for. Reset the engine, aligned it, and put new oil in. And....it still leaks. Worse than before. About 1/2 quart a day. So either there is a crack in the oil pan right around the bolt hole (don't think so and I didn't see one), or the new plug and banjo fitting are not quite right. The hose was definitely the incorrect length. I matched the part #'s from the manual, but they had all been superseded by new part #'s. That has been a problem with Westerbeke in my experience. Besides being way expensive, they supersede parts and contract them out to China and they end up being low quality. That happened with the seawater pump and impellers.

Anyone have any ideas? Westerbeke tech support was clueless and no help. Still waiting on their area dealer tech support to get back to me. My next plan is to buy just a regular oil drain plug (no drain hose) and put that in. Of course changing the oil will be a messy bitch but hopefully it would fix the leak.
jackheape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 09:43   #2
running down a dream

Boat: CD30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Re: Westerbeke 21 Oil Drain Plug Leak

the automobile oil drain plug washers have a black rubber edge that seals the opening.

gonesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 09:49   #3

Boat: Hunter 34
Re: Westerbeke 21 Oil Drain Plug Leak

Thanks. I saw that on the pic at the auto store website. The Westerbeke plug calls for a washer, but it is a hard neoprene one.
jackheape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, plug, westerbeke