Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25-08-2022, 09:20   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Toilets -- Again

Some years ago, I bought two Raritan Sea Era toilets for my boat, one fresh water flush, one seawater flush, intending to change both toilets in both heads compartments.

Well, I wasn't able to install the forward one without cutting up fiberglass, so I kept on using the Jabsco electric conversion there, and installed the sea water flush Raritan aft.

I never liked it much -- unlike the Jabsco, you have no separate control of in and out, and the whole thing is just so light and flimsy and not powerful. It seemed a step backwards from the Jabsco, with the sole advantage being less noise.

And it died pretty quickly -- due to flexing of the very flimsy assembly, the macerator blade contacted the pump and shredded it.

I cannibalized the stored fresh water flush one for those parts, and kept using it.

Now that one has died -- motor bearing is apparently shot.

That's it for me. Never again Raritan Sea Era.

So what do I do now?

I could go back to the Jabsco electric conversion. I have now 13 years of experience with this. I had priming problems with mine the first couple of years but never again since. It's a reliable heavy duty unit. I don't much like how it seals or comes apart, and if you get one of these, be sure to put anti-seize on the metal studs!! Don't ask me how I know. The main disadvantage however is the tremendous noise.

But that is sea water only. I'd like the option of flushing with fresh. Maybe Raritan Sea Elegance?

Johnson Pump make one which looks decent: https://www.svb24.com/en/johnson-pum...v-comfort.html

Grateful for any tips!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, toilet