Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2022, 09:20   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Toilets -- Again

Some years ago, I bought two Raritan Sea Era toilets for my boat, one fresh water flush, one seawater flush, intending to change both toilets in both heads compartments.

Well, I wasn't able to install the forward one without cutting up fiberglass, so I kept on using the Jabsco electric conversion there, and installed the sea water flush Raritan aft.

I never liked it much -- unlike the Jabsco, you have no separate control of in and out, and the whole thing is just so light and flimsy and not powerful. It seemed a step backwards from the Jabsco, with the sole advantage being less noise.

And it died pretty quickly -- due to flexing of the very flimsy assembly, the macerator blade contacted the pump and shredded it.

I cannibalized the stored fresh water flush one for those parts, and kept using it.

Now that one has died -- motor bearing is apparently shot.

That's it for me. Never again Raritan Sea Era.

So what do I do now?

I could go back to the Jabsco electric conversion. I have now 13 years of experience with this. I had priming problems with mine the first couple of years but never again since. It's a reliable heavy duty unit. I don't much like how it seals or comes apart, and if you get one of these, be sure to put anti-seize on the metal studs!! Don't ask me how I know. The main disadvantage however is the tremendous noise.

But that is sea water only. I'd like the option of flushing with fresh. Maybe Raritan Sea Elegance?

Johnson Pump make one which looks decent: https://www.svb24.com/en/johnson-pum...v-comfort.html

Grateful for any tips!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2022, 09:32   #2

Boat: Tayana 58 DS
Re: Toilets -- Again

Instead of conversion, why not go for a Jabsco freshwater head?

Owning 3 of them (#37275), I can tell you what I find to be their shortcomings.

1. Like many marine heads, they will not tolerate well things that shouldn't go into heads. (I remember an guest explaining, "But the wipes said they were flushable!"). Even dental floss can render them inoperable.

2. Perhaps unlike many other marine heads, unclogging an impeller or replacing a joker valve requires both removal and disassembly of the head.

3. They function best when solids are mixed with sufficient quantity of liquids when flushed. Trying to conserve water or minimize holding tank use often results in a half day spent disassembling and removing clog.

4. Although they can be configured to draw sea water in an emergency, eventually this will produce scale within the head. There are descaling products (? vinegar) that can help.

On the plus side, they do have separate control of in/out, are solidly made, and do not feel flimsy or anemic. Also, they are not as bad looking as many marine heads.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2022, 09:37   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
.....Raritan Sea Era toilets

............... you have no separate control of in and out
I know they have different style controllers. I have the board that offers water saving flush, 'normal' flush, and a separate button for "dry flush" and "Fill Only".

They have an analog switch that should be 'dry flush', 'fill' or 'both'. The entire button is the BOTH, while one side is 'Flush Only' and the other is 'Fill Only'.

I'm sorry to hear that you've had issues. We have not experienced that with our Sea Era.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2022, 09:41   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I know they have different style controllers. I have the board that offers water saving flush, 'normal' flush, and a separate button for "dry flush" and "Fill Only".

They have an analog switch that should be 'dry flush', 'fill' or 'both'. The entire button is the BOTH, while one side is 'Flush Only' and the other is 'Fill Only'.

I'm sorry to hear that you've had issues. We have not experienced that with our Sea Era.

You must have the model with the separate pump. I think that's for sea and fresh water flush. Mine is a sea water only where the same pump does both supply and discharge.

I am not the only person who has had the pump self-destruct. Glad you've had better luck than us.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 25-08-2022, 09:43   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by accomplice View Post
Instead of conversion, why not go for a Jabsco freshwater head?

Owning 3 of them (#37275), I can tell you what I find to be their shortcomings.

1. Like many marine heads, they will not tolerate well things that shouldn't go into heads. (I remember an guest explaining, "But the wipes said they were flushable!"). Even dental floss can render them inoperable.

2. Perhaps unlike many other marine heads, unclogging an impeller or replacing a joker valve requires both removal and disassembly of the head.

3. They function best when solids are mixed with sufficient quantity of liquids when flushed. Trying to conserve water or minimize holding tank use often results in a half day spent disassembling and removing clog.

4. Although they can be configured to draw sea water in an emergency, eventually this will produce scale within the head. There are descaling products (? vinegar) that can help.

On the plus side, they do have separate control of in/out, are solidly made, and do not feel flimsy or anemic. Also, they are not as bad looking as many marine heads.
That doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement!

Actually I doubt if your Points 1 and 3 are different from other toilets.

But I don't like the sound of 2. None of my toilets have been like that. Joker valve is a 3 minute job, and getting at the macerator just requires popping the motor out (4 bolts) or popping the bowl off (ditto). But anyway I'll look at the manual.

God, I hate toilet problems on boats.
Walt Whitman
Old 25-08-2022, 09:48   #6

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
But I don't like the sound of 2. None of my toilets have been like that. Joker valve is a 3 minute job, and getting at the macerator just requires popping the motor out (4 bolts) or popping the bowl off (ditto). But anyway I'll look at the manual.

We had a Jabsco Quiet Flush freshwater electric toilet #37045. Experience like yours. 3-minute joker valve change. 4 bolts to remove the motor/pump assembly.

FWIW, it got quiet -- again -- after we replaced the motor/pump assembly at about the 10-11 year old mark...

But I do also often see the Raritan Marine Elegance recommended by users.

-Chris
Old 25-08-2022, 09:49   #7

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Get a manual Lavac and you will never have to ask about toilets again.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2022, 09:53   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger58sb View Post
. .. But I do also often see the Raritan Marine Elegance recommended by users.

-Chris

I had an excellent Raritan manual toilet on my previous boat. But the Sea Era was such flimsy horrific carp I'm a little gun shy about the Sea Elegance. Also, it's not easily available in Europe.

You like your Jabsco?
Walt Whitman
Old 25-08-2022, 09:55   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Get a manual Lavac and you will never have to ask about toilets again.

I've used them on different boats and just don't like them. Personal preference . . . to each his own.

Nor did I find them trouble free. I spent some time on one Swan with these and we were fixing one of them.
Walt Whitman
Old 25-08-2022, 16:24   #10

Boat: Herreshoff 36

I can recommend the TMC brand. We have the electric version, it macerates everything with ease, been using it for years without problems, easy to get parts for it*.

*this side of the world anyway, not sure about Europe.
Old 25-08-2022, 16:32   #11

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I've had good luck with the Sea Era I put in, but I do wish I'd gone for the separate intake pump. Partly because the integral intake pump is rather loud.

As far as a next step up, the Raritan Marine Elegance is the higher end (and I think more powerful) unit. Not sure if the pumps are any more durable, but I'm thinking your Sea Era self destruction may have been a fluke. No personal experience with the Jabsco electrics for comparison.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2022, 17:55   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

There is probably not a sailor alive that hasn't had to deal with the "head". Reading thru' this thread, I thought I'd throw my 2c in, but then decided, no, I wouldn't.

You see, there is the "head gremlin" that lives on people's boats. This little chap is invisible and sleeps during the day. At night he awakens and inspects the heads on people's boat so as to decide what part of the head to mess with. The little feller is most devious and a master at screwing up some or other part of a head.

I've tried laying out cookies and milk to mollify the chap, but to no avail. I've even resorted to laying out a tot of rum on the toilet seat, but the the little f**ker drinks the rum and still messes with the head.

If you awaken at night and hear giggling emanating from the head, be sure to know that is the gremlin hard at work.

In short, there is little one can do. Fixing, replacing, modifying, etc, are only short term fixes as the gremlin will soon figure out what you've done and be back to his evil ways in short order.

Chanting, lighting joss sticks, music, prayer, food and drink do not sway this evil incarnation and one must learn to live with this lil' devil.

So you see, adding my 2c would be of no use......
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2022, 00:10   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
. . . I'm thinking your Sea Era self destruction may have been a fluke..

It's a known issue. I've met more than one other person who's had this problem.
Walt Whitman
Old 26-08-2022, 00:11   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
There is probably not a sailor alive that hasn't had to deal with the "head". Reading thru' this thread, I thought I'd throw my 2c in, but then decided, no, I wouldn't.

You see, there is the "head gremlin" that lives on people's boats. This little chap is invisible and sleeps during the day. At night he awakens and inspects the heads on people's boat so as to decide what part of the head to mess with. The little feller is most devious and a master at screwing up some or other part of a head.

I've tried laying out cookies and milk to mollify the chap, but to no avail. I've even resorted to laying out a tot of rum on the toilet seat, but the the little f**ker drinks the rum and still messes with the head.

If you awaken at night and hear giggling emanating from the head, be sure to know that is the gremlin hard at work.

In short, there is little one can do. Fixing, replacing, modifying, etc, are only short term fixes as the gremlin will soon figure out what you've done and be back to his evil ways in short order.

Chanting, lighting joss sticks, music, prayer, food and drink do not sway this evil incarnation and one must learn to live with this lil' devil.

So you see, adding my 2c would be of no use......

. . .
Walt Whitman
Old 26-08-2022, 00:57   #15

Boat: TRT 1200 GT

15 postings and no one has recommended going with a desiccating/composting head? :-)

Paul
toolbar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, toilet