Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2022, 14:34   #31

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Toilets -- Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
We’ve been using desiccating/composting heads for 15 years full time and there’s no way I would ever go back to the standard holding tank system.

Ditto.
Old 26-08-2022, 15:53   #32

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

For the dessicating toilets, where do you dispose of the dessicated materials when in a city? I guess the basic question is sort of that I can see digging it into flower beds, as long as you can get the required 10" (.25 m.) of depth, but where people ashore don't provide you with forests or flower beds, what do you do with it? Where do you put it?

And for Dockhead, the reasons why I'd prefer a manual toilet are part of the "if it is mechanical and simple, I can figure it out and fix it" nature. The minute you introduce electricity as a necessity for a toilet you give up a whole lot of control relative to keeping it in working order. I'm amazed Lavac are offering an electric flush option. They are so simple, so direct, so easy to repair. I'll take it on faith that people want something more like "in a house", but simple and easy to fix seem to me very important on a boat.

Ann
Old 26-08-2022, 16:14   #33
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
For the dessicating toilets, where do you dispose of the dessicated materials when in a city? I guess the basic question is sort of that I can see digging it into flower beds, as long as you can get the required 10" (.25 m.) of depth, but where people ashore don't provide you with forests or flower beds, what do you do with it? Where do you put it?

And for Dockhead, the reasons why I'd prefer a manual toilet are part of the "if it is mechanical and simple, I can figure it out and fix it" nature. The minute you introduce electricity as a necessity for a toilet you give up a whole lot of control relative to keeping it in working order. I'm amazed Lavac are offering an electric flush option. They are so simple, so direct, so easy to repair. I'll take it on faith that people want something more like "in a house", but simple and easy to fix seem to me very important on a boat.

Ann

Come on Ann, you know where the dessicated materials are disposed? Only about 1000 threads on this, in a dumpster of course, along with the diapers from children, adults and the pet poop.
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2022, 16:41   #34

Boat: Hylas 54

I'm a fan of the Jabsco Deluxe Electric toilet (58020-1012). Comes in fresh and salt versions. Loud but powerful, four years of full time use and never a clog. Joker valves are easily changed. The only thing I've had break is the plastic seat hinges. Very solid all porcelain base/bowl. Mine have a four button panel (fill, empty, big flush, small flush) but I think there is also a two button panel. I don't know why these aren't more popular.
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2022, 16:42   #35

Boat: Columbia 9.6, Hunter Cherubini 37, Jeanneau 57

I can confirm Lavac is pretty bulletproof. That said I do wish someone made a head with a bowl big enough for an adult man to use... some of us have a deeper draft than others and we need a slip that we can get the whole boat into without scraping into things...
Greatest Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2022, 18:24   #36
CLOD

Boat: none

Lots of heads have full size house size seats

Like Rattan Elagrace
Old 27-08-2022, 16:56   #37

Boat: 1978 PS Mariah 31, #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Ditto.

Going on five years for me. No complaints!
LarryDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2022, 12:02   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I'm liking everything I hear about the Planus toilets. They apparently have extremely powerful motors (like 600w) and powerful macerating pumps. They are used as original equipment in Princess motor yachts, a first class marque of motor yachts. I found a supplier in Europe.

The only question I have is whether it can actually be installed in my boat or not. Like the Raritan Marine Elegance, all the mechanism is enclosed in porcelain, with access only from the back, which is intended to be bolted to a bulkhead.

Will I be able to stick the output hose through a hole in the floor as I'm doing this, in order to make that connection, or does this work only if I have access through the bulkhead? Anyone install this type of toilet?

Click image for larger version

Name:	planus-toilet-_md_-9-30-20-eriogjpweorigjoperigjepriogjioewrgjeprg-6--scaled.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	253.9 KB
ID:	263585

I have no experience with this type; all the toilets I have had or messed with have the plumbing exposed. I'm not worried about the electrical or supply connections, just the output.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2022, 12:11   #39
CLOD

I can get to the hose on my Elegance head without taking the bowl out. And the bowl bolts to the floor, not a bulkhead. But for Elegance it probably doesn't matter because you would normally only do if you wanted to replace the joker valve and it is way less less trouble to just take out the 3 bowl mounting bolts out, leaving the mounting bracket attached to floor, and remove the whole unit to work on because you will want to replace the motor/pump seal at same time.

I can take mine out, remove the pump/motor, replace the seals and joker valve and reinstall in 30-45 minutes. That is the fat man working in the head labor time.
Old 28-08-2022, 12:32   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I can get to the hose on my Elegance head without taking the bowl out. And the bowl bolts to the floor, not a bulkhead. But for Elegance it probably doesn't matter because you would normally only do if you wanted to replace the joker valve and it is way less less trouble to just take out the 3 bowl mounting bolts out, leaving the mounting bracket attached to floor, and remove the whole unit to work on because you will want to replace the motor/pump seal at same time.

I can take mine out, remove the pump/motor, replace the seals and joker valve and reinstall in 30-45 minutes. That is the fat man working in the head labor time.
OK, thanks, that's useful.

I guess the Planus is similar to the Elegance. The back of it seems to need to be flush with the bulkhead:

Name:	planus-wc-artic-24v-slika-89496287.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	263586

There are bolt holes in the back but maybe it's ok just to bolt it to the floor.

So you unbolt your toilet and pull it forward, then you can get to the hoses to disconnect them? Or to change the joker valve or whatever?

Another view of the Planus:

Name:	168_planus-art-72312_2.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	263587
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 28-08-2022, 14:24   #41

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

All the info/pics/pumping specs/appearance, of the Planus seem to be virtually identical to the Tecma.
Tecma, made in Italy.
Planus, made in Greece.
Go figure.
The first Tecma I installed was ~12 or so years ago at least, the owners live aboard. I'm in contact with them, and they've never informed me of any service work having to be done other than a replacement of the inlet water solenoid valve, (they use fresh water for flushing).
Be aware that the Planus/Tecma units do require a good "head of steam" for best operation.
IIRC, it's ~3bar, ~45psi, and you'll want a decent accumulator tank, although the Tecma will flush with lower pressure given shorter runs to the holding tank, or not a lot of vertical rise in the outlet.
They both advertise as "quiet", right, that's a subjective term.
The Tecma dosen't make as much mechanical noise, (I can't speak for the Planus,) as a Raritan Crown, but there is a "Niagra Falls" type of sound, it's not a "wimpy" flush action.
The last one I installed used "thru the floor" plumbing, it was easy enough to use one of those "Centek" 1-1/2" fiberglass elbows that are widely used for wet exhaust fittings, the inlet poses no problem.
Old 28-08-2022, 17:19   #42
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

So you unbolt your toilet and pull it forward, then you can get to the hoses to disconnect them? Or to change the joker valve or whatever?
I have the angled back, but even then the bottom is all the way aganist the hull. The curve of the hull still resulted in about 6: between back of head and hull. But otherwise yes, it is just bolted at the bottom to the mounting bars. Call up the installation manual and take a look.
Old 28-08-2022, 19:10   #43

I've had a Raritan Marine Elegance for eight years and it's been the most trouble free head I've ever had (I've owned many - starting with a Wilcox Crittenden - even owned a Lavac).

Changing the joker is simple as long as you've left enough slack in the hose to pull the head away from the wall. I only changed the jokers (yes there are two joker valves - in line) once in 8 years. No other maintenence. The motor and its seals have been fine. No leaks. Never clogged.

The thing uses very little flush water compared to any other head I've owned. This includes rinsing the stuff out of the bowl. I've never had a head that didn't leave tissue or #2 stuck to the bowl after the flush - requiring more flushes or a toilet brush. But this one somehow swirls the flush water around the bowl to encourage it in the right direction.

I got the Raritan Salt/Fresh switch but always use fresh since it uses so little water that I really don't notice the extra use - maybe I would if I didn't have a water maker. I think fresh water improves reliability - there's no crystal buildup.

I guess if the water maker failed I'd switch to salt but if the water maker fails I have bigger problems. And you could always flush using a bucket of water. Again, it's amazing how little flush water this thing uses to get the job done. A big help if you are using a holding tank - they take twice as long to fill.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2022, 19:37   #44
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I'm liking everything I hear about the Planus toilets. They apparently have extremely powerful motors (like 600w) and powerful macerating pumps. They are used as original equipment in Princess motor yachts, a first class marque of motor yachts. I found a supplier in Europe.

The only question I have is whether it can actually be installed in my boat or not. Like the Raritan Marine Elegance, all the mechanism is enclosed in porcelain, with access only from the back, which is intended to be bolted to a bulkhead.

Will I be able to stick the output hose through a hole in the floor as I'm doing this, in order to make that connection, or does this work only if I have access through the bulkhead? Anyone install this type of toilet?

Attachment 263585

I have no experience with this type; all the toilets I have had or messed with have the plumbing exposed. I'm not worried about the electrical or supply connections, just the output.
If in doubt - RTFM .
I haven't looked for the install manual but I reckon it will be available somewhere on the 'net.

The brochure says The high performances of the VORTEX pump placed inside the base of the ceramic bowl foot gives the greatest possible flexibility in planning the route of the discharge hoses.

The install manual is very likely to have more detailed info.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2022, 22:43   #45

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
If in doubt - RTFM .
I haven't looked for the install manual but I reckon it will be available somewhere on the 'net.

The brochure says The high performances of the VORTEX pump placed inside the base of the ceramic bowl foot gives the greatest possible flexibility in planning the route of the discharge hoses.

The install manual is very likely to have more detailed info.

I'm as guilty as others of not reading the manual, but in fact in this case I did that first of all There's nothing helpful, but answers here were very helpful, especially SailorBoy's
Walt Whitman

Tags
oil, toilet