Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2008, 05:42   #1

Boat: Endeavour40 - MOBETAH
Unhappy Stupid Question!

I'm still rebuilding my watermaker and the Cat pump (2sf05seel) I'm installing is supposed to be installed with "forward rotation". I am assuming that forward rotation is .... if looking at the motor from the rear (the fan end, NOT the shaft end) the fan and therefore the shaft would be turning clockwise the same as a drill would be turning if drilling a hole. Am I corrrect?

Thanks, Bill A.
mobetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:42   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobetah View Post
I'm still rebuilding my watermaker and the Cat pump (2sf05seel) I'm installing is supposed to be installed with "forward rotation". I am assuming that forward rotation is .... if looking at the motor from the rear (the fan end, NOT the shaft end) the fan and therefore the shaft would be turning clockwise the same as a drill would be turning if drilling a hole. Am I corrrect?

Thanks, Bill A.
This may be a stupid response. Since you are "rebuilding" the system why don't you put it back the way it came off? Which motor make are you refering to? Check the plate for rotation reference. Most Cat pumps can be run in either direction but yours is a direct drive and there's only one way to attach it. But you're not quite clear as to why you question the rotation. Is it because of wiring voltage or it's not clear to you how your pump is attached to the motor?
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:01   #3

Thanks Tellie,

My watermaker is homemade and I am installing a different motor and pump. The Cat pump can be operated in forward or reverse rotation however Cat recomends forward rotation because it oils the inner workings better (reverse rotation requires a higer oil level in the pump). The motor is a Baldor explosion proof 1/3hp. True, there is only one way to attach the pump to the motor however there is still two directions the motor's shaft can spin (depending on the wiring). I assume that is what Cat is refering to as forward or reverse rotation. As I asked earlier, when the motor's shaft spins in the same direction as a drill would when drilling a hole is the motor operating in forward rotation?

Thanks again, Bill A.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:31   #4

Boat: Privilege 37
This is a question I would be asking the pump manufacturer
Old 06-08-2008, 18:14   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks Tellie,

My watermaker is homemade and I am installing a different motor and pump. The Cat pump can be operated in forward or reverse rotation however Cat recomends forward rotation because it oils the inner workings better (reverse rotation requires a higer oil level in the pump). The motor is a Baldor explosion proof 1/3hp. True, there is only one way to attach the pump to the motor however there is still two directions the motor's shaft can spin (depending on the wiring). I assume that is what Cat is refering to as forward or reverse rotation. As I asked earlier, when the motor's shaft spins in the same direction as a drill would when drilling a hole is the motor operating in forward rotation?

Thanks again, Bill A.

So what you really need to know is the Cat pumps forward rotation not the motor rotation. Once you have that the motor rotation is easy.

What is the direction of operate for CAT PUMPS?For optimum performance, CAT PUMPS piston and plunger pumps should be operated in a forward rotation with the crankshaft turning towards the manifold. This takes full advantage of the oil bath, splash lubrication and assures the cross heads of the plunger rods are fully lubricated. Reverse rotation is acceptable,however, the crankcase oil level should be slightly higher. For normal forward rotation, fill to the center dot on the rear cover Bubble Oil Gauge. For reverse rotation, fill to halfway between dot and the top of the Bubble Oil Gauge.

Just for further confusion, your motor should be labeled as such...

LabelDescripitionCCW / LE or CCWLECounter clockwise from the lead endCCWSECounter clockwise from the shaft endCW Rotation OnlyShaft can only rotate in a clockwise positionCW / OLEClockwise opposite lead endCWLEClockwise from the lead endCWSEClockwise from the shaft endDouble Shaft / CCWLESpins counter clockwise on a double shaft from the lead endDouble Shaft / CWSESpins clockwise on a double shaft from the shaft endCW / CCW or ReversibleClockwise or counterclockwiseECWEither clockwise or counterclockwise, connected for clockwise rotation at factoryECCWEither clockwise or counterclockwise, connected for counterclockwise rotation at factoryReversing PlugSwitching the reversing plug changes the rotation of the shaftCW or CCWThe real meaning of these labels is dependent on the manufacturer.

PS Please send me pics of your homemade watermaker.
Old 06-08-2008, 18:29   #6

Thanks Tellie,

That all makes perfect sense. Now tell me, when the shaft of the pump runs parellel to the manifold doesn't the top of the shaft turn toward the manifold and the bottom of the shaft turn away from the manifold or visa-vera if the shaft rotation is reversed? So, should I go with the top of the shaft turning toward the manifold or the bottom of the shaft turning toward the manifold? It's all so confusing.

Thanks, Bill A.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:46   #7
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks Tellie,

That all makes perfect sense. Now tell me, when the shaft of the pump runs parellel to the manifold doesn't the top of the shaft turn toward the manifold and the bottom of the shaft turn away from the manifold or visa-vera if the shaft rotation is reversed? So, should I go with the top of the shaft turning toward the manifold or the bottom of the shaft turning toward the manifold? It's all so confusing.

Thanks, Bill A.

Run with the top of the pumps shaft turning towards the manifold like if you were rolling a bar on a flat surface towards the manifold. Then of course wire the motor to run the pump in that direction. Just another aside, remember to run your boost pump for awhile first to make sure your Cat pump has water in it before you start the motor/pump. Cat pump ceramic plungers can heat up quite quickly without water running through them and if they get a sudden in rush of cold water they have a tendancy to crack often.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:09   #8

Thanks again Tellie,

That answers my question. Also a good thought about flooding the high pressure pump prior to running (my Cat pump and booster pump are wired to the same switch so they come on at the same time .... I'll work something out so the booster pump will run awhile before the Cat pump).

Again, Thanks Bill A.