Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2022, 13:10   #31

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389
Re: Raw water to galley sink

I call it feeding the fish. Sit on the swim platform.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2022, 08:11   #32

Yup, I had one sea water intake. From that I fed it to the engine cooling , heads and galley pumps. It worked just fine.
Leighpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2022, 08:40   #33

Boat: Rival 34

I have just fitted a salt water supply for my galley using heater hose. I plumbed in to an existing seacock and installed a separate stop cock close by. I installed a salt water filter and foot pump. I am still out of the water so have not tried it out yet.

I’m surprised no-one has yet mentioned the following point - Chose a seacock on the opposite side of the boat to the head outlet or you may need to clean your teeth more frequently……
Jeffrey1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2022, 10:32   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
I appreciate all of the responses! The main reason I wanted to do this was to preserve a little extra fresh water so that I wouldn't have to take on water as frequently.

It makes much more sense to plumb a standalone spigot for the seawater to the galley sink. I already have a raw water washdown pump with a filter so I was just going to split the output and plumb one side to the galley sink and the other to the washdown.

For all of the reasons everyone has commented, I will keep a dedicated raw water line to the sink, and a single spigot just for wrenching off the crusties and then finish the dishwashing in freshwater.

When you were talking about the warm water going to the underwater diver, I was afraid he was going to get scalded by the hot water. Never thought about the jellies! That must have been brutal!

Thanks again, everyone! We have such an amazing community!

Ben
Good that you are planning on a separate faucet. To prevent a disaster, The pump switch should be momentary contact. Added protection can be given by wiring a timer to your pump circuit to limit run time in case of a leak, or if the switch gets stuck on and forgotten. If his is an annoyance for doing wash down out on deck, the timer can be wired only to the galley switch. And the switch circuit for deck wash down use left as is. Suggest that a vertical loop that extends above the water line be plumbed in close to the pump to prevent leakage into the boat if pipe leading to the sink leaks. I'm sure that you are already planning an isolation valve in the line positioned close to the pump. If you want to do the extra, you can also fit a solenoid valve next to the pump that is wired to open when the pump turns on.
Dieseldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2022, 10:03   #35

I had a drain to a thru hull from my freezer which went under the sink. I just got rid of the drain function and used the thru hull to suck water to the saltwater foot pump at the sink. It works just great and we save ample freshwater which was the original goal. We mostly sail in clean water and can use a bit of fresh if the admiral decides we need to have a freshwater rinse.
mark lennoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2022, 10:28   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Roberts V495

Using the wash down pump on a separate tap is a brilliant way of doing it…..wish I’d thought of that myself……my washdown pump was even beneath the sink!
nofacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2022, 04:48   #37

Boat: Beneteau 423

I wanted to plumb a salt water spigot to the galley but ran out of time before it was time to leave on our trip to the Bahamas. Instead we have a 2 gallon bucket that we bring up 2/3 full each time we need to wash dishes. It works quite well. We rinse with a bit of fresh.

Harry
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galley, raw water, water