Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2016, 13:47   #1

Boat: Frances 26
Question on locating raw water seacock near sink drain

I would like to add a raw water faucet at the galley sink. There is enough space in the cabinet below the sink to install a seacock. This would result in easy access to the seacock. My only hesitation is that if this inlet were placed there it would be only 3 inches upstream from the sink drain.

It would seem with that set up I run the risk of pumping in water coming out of the drain. I know the raw water isn't going to be super clean depending on body of water but it seems best to avoid this possible recirculation as I wash dishes etc.

Any thoughts as to whether the above presents the problem I described? If so how far should this new inlet should be from the sink drain?

Maybe I'm overthinking this a bit.

Thanks
summercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 14:07   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Question on locating raw water seacock near sink drain

I would be a bit more concerned from a structural standpoint, about having a second hole so close to the first throw hole. Three inches does not leave that much material between the two through holes. I might recommend having the new hole a bit further apart, just to allow more structure between the two penetrations.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 14:22   #3

Boat: Frances 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
I would be a bit more concerned from a structural standpoint, about having a second hole so close to the first throw hole. Three inches does not leave that much material between the two through holes. I might recommend having the new hole a bit further apart, just to allow more structure between the two penetrations.
Sorry for the incorrect measurement. The distance between the two holes for the thru hulls would be about 6.5 inches.
summercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 14:42   #4

Boat: Able 50

Those systems don't use much water so maybe you could add a T adaptor to another raw water hose. I don't know what you have available - possibly nothing. Perhaps the inlet for the head ?
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 14:50   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Yet another below the waterline seacock? One reason I built my own boat was all those seacocks in the usual boat - some in places you'd never reach in time if one failed. I even met a cruiser who owned an early 1980s Nordhaven, Nordhaven no less, who said that he had 23 seacocks below the waterline. I know it means long hose runs, but consider avoiding adding another source of sinking if you can.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 18:22   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

summercamp,

On our previous Insatiable, Jim teed into the engine intake hose for the salt water supply. We did not use it while motoring, to avoid possibly cheating the engine, but it worked well and did not add another through hull fitting.

I liked having salt water directly available at the galley sink. Using it for washing dishes (when the water's clean) saves a whole lot of fresh water, and there's a virtually unlimited supply of it.

Perhaps you can figure out a route for it like Jim did.

Ann
Old 25-09-2016, 18:47   #7

Boat: Able 50

It can sure be done Ann. My galley salt water shares a through hull with the AC. My diesel and generator also share one. The AC and galley pump can operate together but the diesel and generator cannot.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 22:43   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

If it was close to your head discharge would be concerned. You will only be using sea water for washing up and non cooking uses so wouldn't be too concerned about having the intake a foot or so away from the drain. Know I wasn't.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 08:59   #9

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
summercamp,

On our previous Insatiable, Jim teed into the engine intake hose for the salt water supply. We did not use it while motoring, to avoid possibly cheating the engine, but it worked well and did not add another through hull fitting.

I liked having salt water directly available at the galley sink. Using it for washing dishes (when the water's clean) saves a whole lot of fresh water, and there's a virtually unlimited supply of it.

Perhaps you can figure out a route for it like Jim did.

Ann
I concur that a T in a hose is preferable to a hole in the hull. I may be influenced by having a standpipe.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 10:35   #10

Boat: Catalina 30

Our 1985 Catalina 30 has two OEM seacocks in the galley, one raw water input for a sink and the sink drain. They are about 1 foot apart. The drain is closer to the centerline and therefore a little deeper than the intake. I have never noticed any suds coming back up the intake when washing anything in the galley sink.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raw water, water