Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2022, 07:14   #16

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5
Re: Raw water to galley sink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrace View Post
Chipped nail polish could really cause issues. I’m happy I don’t have one.
So are you going to isolate the fresh water line with a separate facet?
I know what you mean, but I don't paint my toenails. I just hate stubbing my toes so the floor pump is out. Yes, I'm going to add a separate faucet. Easy enough to do.

Thanks,
Ben
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2022, 07:19   #17

Boat: Camano Troll

If you have a separate faucet, you can do this. If you have a single lever mixing faucet, you should not. You will be mixing potable and sea water and possibly contaminating the potable water with sea water.
Old 17-04-2022, 10:53   #18

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV

Don’t draw your inlet water from the engine supply. If there is an air leak on your Inlet line which is under significant vacuum at high rpm your engine impeller will suck air and you will damage the impeller.

On my larger catamaran, I drew water after the sea water filter that is normally used for the water maker. I had a switch for the water maker and salt water supply we’re not both simultaneously in use. I delivered the filtered salt water to rinse hose identical to you those used at home and connected it through a dedicated hole in the counter just behind the sink. The rest has came with a nice chrome basil so the whole project looks like somebody else did it.

The unit was normally switched in the rinse position and the pressure cut off on the pump kept it from cycling.

Since 100% of our water was made by the water maker we knew fairly accurately that the salt water hose reduced or wash water by about 1/2 . For sanitary reasons we still soaked and rinsed in fresh water to make sure none of the salt water was carried into the dry dishes.

The unit was completely satisfactory. When guest came on board and offered to wash dishes we just told them to use the rinse house first to get the heavy crud off and then wash them normally. Very few people were even able to guess they were sick with salt water .

Since the filter was made for a water maker there was no problem with Crawley things getting into the rinse water.
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2022, 12:45   #19

Boat: Hunter 340

I installed a hand operated pump at the sink. Installing the pump required a new hole be made in the counter top (Corian) as well as a hole in the hull. I have used it for several years in salt water and fresh water in the great lakes with no issues. I also installed an in-line charcoal filter. I would definitely purchase a new tap and not tie in to your existing tap.
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2022, 18:01   #20

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Thanks everyone!!! I appreciate all of the cautions and suggestions!
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2022, 04:09   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Should work. Just remember water in hoses skunks quickly.
This has been my experience as well. Saltwater laying static in plumbing can become very smelly.

We tried it but eventually removed the entire salt water to galley sink completely.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 09:43   #22

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
I want to bring raw water to my galley sink but I am always reticent to drill holes in my boat. Has anyone ever connected raw water via pump to the hot water outlet of the galley sink? I don't like to waste hot water so I don't use it at the galley sink when I do dishes, therefore the hot water faucet goes unused. I already have a wash down pump and I'm going to split the raw water from the wash down pump to the galley sink. Would this be a reasonable option?
How confidant are you that your faucet would be compatable with corrosive seawater?

Install a filter, as well.
https://www.amazon.com/SAILFLO-Press...a-987720771253

Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 11:15   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Salt water in the galley is an important feature for an offshore yacht. Even with good tankage, a water maker and an efficient rainwater collection system (all of which we have), salt water provides added functionality and redundancy. If you have a 316 SS sink there are no corrosion issues.

The best system is a foot pump. This provides precise delivery of the water (important as you do not want it spraying and splashing everywhere) and leaves both hands free. The latter is particularly important offshore, where the salt water system is often helpful. One hand should be available to hang on.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 12:35   #24

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Great Lake boater with a few weeks in salt water, so dumb on the subject.
Rinsing dishes is the only use I can thing of.

Several ppl have asked me for the 3D data for the new improved European thread water fill. I will post it here as a thread.
One person said they were going to print it in PETG. I use ASA due to strength and UV resistance and maybe overkill. I’m interested how the PETG stands up.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 13:42   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrace View Post
Several ppl have asked me for the 3D data for the new improved European thread water fill. I will post it here as a thread.

Be mindful of the fact that any deck fill connected to shore water needs a large amount of ventilation and/or some pressure reduction to be safe.

It is easy to destroy a boat tank with the pressure from a mains supply.

There is also a risk a sinking the boat with any sort of semi-permanent connection.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 14:38   #26

My deck fill has for vent galleys. Works great. In fact my fill gets more air available than any other method. It’s an air vortex in the middle and a water ring. I’ve printed them in orange and white. Snaps on to a Home Depot quick release. So you can add it to any hose. The European spout is a touch smaller than domestic.
The cut off the end of the hose and drop in 2’ only to have the back pressure push it out is gone away. The vents give some warning but not much.
I printed a carbon fan for the cabin also. Kills cooking orders. 80mm pc fan. Runs during winter stowage also. 4” cube. I use fish tank carbon and the filter tea bags.
Old 19-04-2022, 17:24   #27

It’s a hub which focuses the water with 4 spokes which support it to the treaded ring.
The spokes extend past the surface as easy thumb turns and take up the weight of a hose off the neck pipe. You just print and add an or ring to the neck in the channel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B2456B47-46A5-424C-B318-CF47E05864FB.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	370.7 KB
ID:	256278  
Old 19-04-2022, 17:33   #28

I’m going to add lettering next and likely make domestic Yellow and Euro Orange with the thread.
I working on some floating key fobs. One say Loo it’s translucent yellow for the pump out key. ��
Old 19-04-2022, 18:19   #29

It is not a city water fill. It’s only for filling tanks. It’s mate with be a translucent soft blue plastic “ H2O” for the water cap key.
Old 19-04-2022, 20:04   #30

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

So for another angle on it, are we only talking about washing dishes? I used to have salt water faucet on my old boat and I don't have one now. I am just coastal cruising, and my boat (and sink) are not very big, and I do not miss the salt water tap at all. I too resist any temptations to drill a hole in the hull. I do all my dishwashing out in the cockpit, including the freshwater rinse, and I usually let them dry in a rack in the sink. If and when I plan to travel farther afield, I doubt I'll change that habit.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galley, raw water, water