Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2022, 05:48   #1

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5
Raw water to galley sink

I want to bring raw water to my galley sink but I am always reticent to drill holes in my boat. Has anyone ever connected raw water via pump to the hot water outlet of the galley sink? I don't like to waste hot water so I don't use it at the galley sink when I do dishes, therefore the hot water faucet goes unused. I already have a wash down pump and I'm going to split the raw water from the wash down pump to the galley sink. Would this be a reasonable option?
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2022, 06:59   #2

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49
Re: Raw water to galley sink

Your idea should work. Could use a spray nozzle in the galley and use the pressure wash down pump.

Personally wouldn't want to wash my dishes/pots/pans solely in sea water (especially from the Chesapeake) w/o a fresh water rinse. We also find the hot water cuts the oil/grease better.

If you only have a 6 gal. water heater and don't want to waste the water, how about a 5 gal. sun shower? Great for evening dishes. Just set it up on the cabin top over the galley port and drop down an extended hose w/a kitchen spray head on it. Easy on off and no pump noise. Fairly simple way to use solar to heat extra water.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2022, 08:19   #3

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Should work. Just remember water in hoses skunks quickly.
Old 16-04-2022, 08:54   #4

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Maybe Georgian Bay water and certainly the springs on all the islands yup. Anywhere else I’ve been no chance. Salt water no way.
I know it’s popular and my boat had a foot pump option which I’m happy it doesn’t have. You can add fresh water pump for toilets also.
I’d add another water tank or replace it with a larger one before I’d add another bronze slug of a throughhull sucking up cabinet space. The extra tank is cheaper.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2022, 09:10   #5

Boat: Norseman 447

Using salt water in the galley can be hard on the SS sink and particularly on the drain fitting unless you can dry them well all the time. A lot of SS silverware doesn’t like it either. But as far as health goes, detergent and salt water cleans as well as fresh water. Since you can’t get rid of germs with water colder than about 180*F, if you want to sterilize the dishes, you need a rinse with a germicide like bleach. I’ve washed dishes in salt water for years, even in places where I wouldn’t swim in the water. Followed by a rinse of fresh water and bleach.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2022, 09:22   #6

I've installed a salt water line to the galley for cruising in the Bahamas and Caribbean where you usually have clean water and it works fine. But I would recommend AGAINST doing it as you say, by plumbing into the Freshwater (hot) portion of your current system. ABYC strictly forbids plumbing anything but fresh potable water into your freshwater system. There is a risk of cross contamination, especially if you're talking about a single spigot with freshwater on one side and salt on the other. If you're going to do this run a new dedicated spigot and specifically label/mark it as salt water, keeping it distinct from your freshwater drinking system.
Old 16-04-2022, 09:30   #7

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishspearit View Post
I've installed a salt water line to the galley for cruising in the Bahamas and Caribbean where you usually have clean water and it works fine. But I would recommend AGAINST doing it as you say, by plumbing into the Freshwater (hot) portion of your current system. ABYC strictly forbids plumbing anything but fresh potable water into your freshwater system. There is a risk of cross contamination, especially if you're talking about a single spigot with freshwater on one side and salt on the other. If you're going to do this run a new dedicated spigot and specifically label/mark it as salt water, keeping it distinct from your freshwater drinking system.
Or at least put a check valve (one way valve) in your fresh water line.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2022, 10:50   #8

I’m a scuba instructor. I’ve dove in some dangerous temperatures and toxic waters.

True Story
A sister called her brother for sympathy. She’d been laid off from work. She asked how was his day.
Well he was a commercial diver in a dry suit in ice cold water welding. It will take him 3 hours to surface no matter his issue to decompress. He ran out of argon to keep his suit warm. He still had a water heater hose in the suit so the guys on the boat fired up the boats engine and fired him down some nice warm exhaust water.
Works great except the boat sucked up a man of war and shot parts of it on his back and ass 180’ under water.

I can tell you with experience it’s the little tiny things in the water which will get you. Sea fleas are active at night! I took two new diver on a night dive on the reef. I wore a full length suit despite the warm water at 50’. They wore shorties. Their legs got torn with bites and you cant see the fleas.
Just in you drain elbow you can grow stuff which will harm you.
Old 16-04-2022, 11:50   #9

I appreciate all of the responses! The main reason I wanted to do this was to preserve a little extra fresh water so that I wouldn't have to take on water as frequently.

It makes much more sense to plumb a standalone spigot for the seawater to the galley sink. I already have a raw water washdown pump with a filter so I was just going to split the output and plumb one side to the galley sink and the other to the washdown.

For all of the reasons everyone has commented, I will keep a dedicated raw water line to the sink, and a single spigot just for wrenching off the crusties and then finish the dishwashing in freshwater.

When you were talking about the warm water going to the underwater diver, I was afraid he was going to get scalded by the hot water. Never thought about the jellies! That must have been brutal!

Thanks again, everyone! We have such an amazing community!

Ben
Old 16-04-2022, 12:05   #10

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

We have a raw water foot pump at the galley sink.
Works fine.We always do the dishes this way and just rinse them briefly with freshwater at the end.

No problem for sink, dishes or cutlery.

The thruhull obviously has a secock.
Old 16-04-2022, 13:51   #11

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37

Sounds like you have seperate hot & cold taps over your sink, just cut & cap off the hot water line under the sink or disconnect the fitting from the tap u/neath the sink & cap that off, then connect the raw water line to the existing tap, that way it's standalone.Don't connect raw water to a combined hot/cold tap (a mixer) as you will get cross contamination & nasties in your f/water line. Another option & probably better is to leave your existing hot tap & install a new r/water tap over your sink if you have room to do it.
Bent Bugle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2022, 14:04   #12

I hear ya. I think we all do. My boat has a 200l tank and an optional 130l tank. The water heater is another 25l. Someone told me never keep an empty fridge so I fill it with 2l pop bottles full of water.
Because it’s a European boat it has an unique thread on the two fill necks.
I 3D printed a thread fill with vents and fits domestic quick release hoses. This saved standing beside your boat for ever or worse stinking a cut off hose down the pipe. As it turns out the little gizmo fits all European boats I’ve tried. I printed it in ASA so it’s like cast aluminum in strength.
I have the data if you want it to get printed locally. Eases the burden of filling tanks.
It takes 5 hours to print and used $2.40 in ASA.
I’ve refilled my tanks by hauling spring water in from Cedar Springs on Beausoliel Island. So natural water is a wonderful thing before life happens in it. There is a parasite which can survive in the tiny drop of moisture in your ear. The parasite can cause loss of hearing. Diver use a ear flush even after fresh water dives
Old 16-04-2022, 14:44   #13

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10....html?page=109
This is identical to the system offered on my boat. I think you’ll find them pretty common gear in the Caribbean.
Note they have a separate facet. The stainless sink should be attached to a brass elbow with a zinc nut.
Old 17-04-2022, 05:56   #14

Bent,

It is a combined hit and cold faucet. Rumrace, I always stub my tie on those foot pumps, and the admiral will, too.

I already have a second water pump (serves the washdown). I am going to split the outflow from that and will plumb a second, single faucet to the galley for the seawater. Keep everything separate.

Thank you both!
Old 17-04-2022, 07:00   #15

Chipped nail polish could really cause issues. I’m happy I don’t have one. We are out 4-5 days and then in some town for ice cream. 330l of water pretty much has us covered. The bar and fridge need restocking.
So are you going to isolate the fresh water line with a separate facet?

Tags
galley, raw water, water