Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2015, 15:28   #1

Raritan Marine Elegance Head Installation

Looking to switch out an older Raritan PHEII Electric Head for a new Raritan Marine Elegance Head. I am assuming that since it is the same manufacturer it should be simpler than going with a different manufacturer. Does anyone have experience with this installation? If so, any tips or problems to be aware of?
Dan in SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 16:29   #2

Boat: Menger 19' Catboat
Re: Raritan Marine Elegance Head Installation

I installed one in my little catboat -- believe it or not -- about a year and a half ago. I chose it over a manual head because of the minimal water use so that my small holding tank doesn't fill as fast.

It's the best head ever. Uses only .6 liter of water per flush in the "water saver" mode (which works fine for anything but major deposits). It's lightweight and simple in design. The built in macerator allows use of a more flexible 1" ID discharge line. It is very quiet. Installation was dead simple. Totally reliable so far.

Peg Hall recommends it, and she knows what she's talking about.

Go for it.
Ukeluthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 18:04   #3

Thanks Ukeluthier. I'm hoping to use as much of existing plumbing and fastening points from the older Raritan installation as possible. I have a seawater/freshwater Y valve that I intend to keep. Hoping someone has done the exact head switch and can provide a little detailed insight. I haven't bought the Elegance yet, but your and Ms. Hall's recommendations make me feel comfortable with the decision.
Old 23-06-2015, 20:28   #4
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in SB View Post
Thanks Ukeluthier. I'm hoping to use as much of existing plumbing and fastening points from the older Raritan installation as possible. I have a seawater/freshwater Y valve that I intend to keep. Hoping someone has done the exact head switch and can provide a little detailed insight. I haven't bought the Elegance yet, but your and Ms. Hall's recommendations make me feel comfortable with the decision.
You'll love the Elegance...

Step 1. Read and follow the directions BEFORE all else fails and you have to call Raritan to bail you out of trouble (they aren't available on weekends).

Check the electrical specs for both the PHE II and the Elegance to determine whether you can keep the same wiring. Whether you can or not, if your toilet isn't already on its own dedicated circuit, shared by nothing else--not even cabin lights--that can pull power away from the toilet if it's on at the same time, it needs to be...low voltage is the fastest way to destroy a toilet motor (any electric motor actually).

If you're gonna buy a nice shiny new toilet, replace the hoses too...keeping 'em would be like taking a bath and putting your dirty clothes back on.

A tip that's a good idea when installing any toilet designed to be connected to the onboard fresh water system: use a shut-off valve to connect it to the fresh water line. That will allow you to shut off the water ONLY to the toilet instead of the water pump or the whole boat if/when you need to do any work on it.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 21:33   #5

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

I just installed one. It's pretty simple. Go for it.

Oh wait... I have a tip...

They give you the mounts on a nice template for mounting... I was a moron and peeled them off the template before mounting... because boat projects are too easy without a little challenge... LOL
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 10:04   #6

Thanks for the advice and tips. Will start the installation within the next two weeks and post as to how it went.
Old 24-06-2015, 11:33   #7

Boat: Pearson 530

We installed them 3 years back for the above reasons and ease of use. Some people understand press the button more than pump the handle, turn valve, and pump dry. The hose can be either 1" or 1 1/2" to the tank, I couldn't go smaller without a lot of cabinetry removable.

Good choice.

All U Get
Old 24-06-2015, 13:38   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Dan, If you haven't bought the toilet yet I'd love to quote you on it.
Toilets, Macerator Pumps & Parts

I think Peggie would agree with me when I say the PH is a great manual toilet but a not very good electric toilet. You'll like the Marine Elegance.

Oh yeah, buy Peggie's book!
Get Rid of Boat Odors by Peggie Hall
Old 24-06-2015, 15:39   #9

I have both a Marine Elegance and a Sea Era. Both fresh water flushers, both purchased new and installed by me 4 years ago, both in daily (constant?) use by a family of 7 ever since. As a user I prefer the Marine Elegance, it is indeed elegant, but as the plumber I think the Sea Era is better.

I find that my Marine Elegance has a less powerful flush than my Sea Era, probably due to the 1" discharge (it also has to lift about 2' higher to the tank). The slower flush reduces its ability to completely remove objects that are somewhat buoyant. I also find that it often leaves larger objects athwart the bowl. This necessitates additional water use in order to leave a clean wake for the next user. The Sea Era has no trouble with this and operates on less water in my boat.

I was not impressed with the ME's electronic panel. It began to malfunction after a year or two (flushing by itself and not when you wanted it to). It isn't quite waterproof, so you'll want to mount it in a dry place. I much prefer separate buttons for independent control of the solenoid and the motor, so I was happy to ditch the panel and go that route.

I've had the wonderful opportunity to take both units apart to clear obstructions. The ME's 1" discharge line contains less standing effluent than the 1.5" on the Sea Era, which is nice. Otherwise, I find the Sea Era much easier to work on. The Marine Elegance is designed to hide all its parts and so must be turned upside down to get at them.

Lastly, the Sea Era instructions specify that an atmospheric vacuum breaker (which Raritan supplies) should be installed after the freshwater solenoid and at least 6" above the toilet. I believe this is for health reasons, so nothing nasty can swim from the toilet back to your fresh water supply. Not sure if that's entirely effective, but it is a nice thought. The Marine Elegance has no such vacuum break, and the solenoid is located under the toilet.

There's $.02 from a lowly marine sanitation engineer.
JayH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 17:48   #10

Thanks JayH. Did some measuring and configuring today and may have to go with the Sea Era due to some space constraints, so your comments very helpful.
Old 24-06-2015, 18:25   #11
Marine Service Provider

You DO realize the Elegance comes in two sizes and with a choice of a vertical or slanted back? It actually has a smaller footprint than the SeaEra.

If you do actually have to settle for the SeaEra (which is a fine toilet, just not as elegant as the Elegance) you'll have to choose between a "full time" raw water or a pressurized water version.

If you opt for pressuized flush water, you can save some money by going with the "conversion" (everything south of the bowl), which available in boat sea water and pressurized water versions. You can also add an optional 3-way rocker switch that let's you add water to the bowl ahead of solids, dry flush or "combo" flush. That ONLY works with pressurized flush water.
Old 25-06-2015, 09:18   #12

Thanks. My issue with the size is not the overall footprint, but with the flat floor dimensions required for the Elegance, which is still my first choice. I'm installing in a forward head in the V of a Catalina 42 where there is good space and clearance overall just not much on the flat raised partial floor where the toilet is mounted. I created an Elegance template to determine more accurately if it's a fit. Thanks again.
Old 25-06-2015, 10:28   #13
Marine Service Provider

[QUOTE=Dan in SB;1855511]Thanks. My issue with the size is not the overall footprint, but with the flat floor dimensions required for the Elegance.../QUOTE]

Others have solved that problem--though not necessarily in the identical head on the identical boat--by putting a platform on the raised step that overhangs it enough to support the toilet. Put a block of wood or whatever you like in front of the step if the platform has to be cantelevered too much, then make a box/skirt to go around it and trim it to suit your head "decor."
Old 27-06-2015, 01:01   #14

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy

Yes the electronic control is not perfect. It is not very robust, and while installing one in a difficult to reach place, I broke off one of the electronic components. They do fail sometimes.
Instead of the electronic control, I installed two push button switches, one for water, one for flush. Much less expensive. But, note that the electronic control is designed to flush the bowl twice on each cycle. Fill, flush; fill, flush. So, if you go with the manual switches, be aware of the need to flush twice for No. 2. For No. 1 you will save water with the push button switches.
There are two joker valves, costing about $12 each. Get spares. If you do not flush enough water through, the second joker valve, having less pressure on it, can clog. They also get old and lose flexibility after 2 years or so.
If a child drops a lego or small piece of whatever in the toilet, it will jam the macerator. And its not fun to take the macerator assembly off.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:27   #15

Hello everyone,

As advised by Peggy, will buy Raritan Elegance.

Question: can I build a control panel myself with 3 regular (non Raritan) buttons? will it work or do I have to buy a Raritan panel?

Thanks
g550 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, installation, marine, raritan