Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 17:41   #1

Boat: 51' Formosa Cutter Rigged Ketch
Raritan elegance with smart panel

I am considering the flush able toilet option and like the simplicity of the smart panel operation. The big question... Is the panel waterproof. I can't find any info in the owners manual or installation guide. My head also doubles as a stand up shower and want to be sure that if the panel is mounted on the head front counter surface where it will get wet and spray on it when showering that it will continue to operate.

I look forward to your specific experience for those that have this head.
glhotka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 17:51   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Raritan elegance with smart panel

Our switch from Raritan is water proof and exposed to our shower. However on the inside it is not waterproof. That's not really a problem unless the water level gets to about 2.5' in the head. Makes me think of Capitan Ron.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 19:23   #3

Boat: 51' Formosa Cutter Rigged Ketch

great scene with the water in the shower scene, but the face of yours gets wet and you have not had an issue. I would worry about the inside getting wet, only from humidity or moisture in the air that may carry into the sliding doors that provide access to the plumbing and ultimately the back side of the panel would be in there as well.
glhotka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 19:34   #4

Boat: Seafarer36c

Well thats true for almost everything on your boat. No worries.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 20:18   #5

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

We have a Jabsco electric toilet with a flush panel (pardon the pun) in our shower/toilet compartment. the panel is waterproof and we've had no problems after 6 years daily use.
One point worth mentioning is that electric toilets are very susceptable to human hair which gets itself wound around the electric motor shaft seals, destroying the seal (and motor). Some ladies use a hairbrush and then a comb to clean the hairbrush and throw the hair in the toilet = disaster ! place a small bin in the toilet for such items and educate any visitors. In hard water areas toilets and discharge pipes can become blocked over a period of time with limescale or Urea acid scale. To remove any deposits pour a quart of white 8% strength vinegar into the toilet,activate the pump slightly to allow the vinegar to reach the discharge pipe interior, allow to stand overnight and flush with clean water. Repeat every 6 months to keep toilet/pipework clean and free of scale buildup.
I hope you find this helpful.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 17:40   #6

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

I installed an ME last spring. It is the best marine head I have ever used. Mine has the straight back so it fits nicely against a wall.

Flush panel! I went with the simple switch which allowed me to use the same one that powered the older toilet. I just cannot bring myself to believe there are advantages of using a microprocessor and associated circuitry to flush a toilet! And yes, the simple on/off push button is almost idiot proof, it works well, inexpensive and that I believe is the way to go.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 18:09   #7

We replaced a jabsco Quiet-Flush with a Raritan ME and like the ME quite a bit better. We did like the separate bowl fill and flush controls of the QF so I installed two switches, one for fill and a separate one for flush. Manually does the same things as the flush panel but it is pretty easy for guests -- if one switch doesn't do what you want, push the other.
ocean40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:14   #8
Marine Service Provider

Ocean, unless you opted for the optional sea water intake, for $60 you can replace the single flush button with the "Momentary Control" that offers 3 flush choices--combined fill/flush, "dry" flush, water in only--which is very handy ahead of solids. The "Smart Flush" panel adds a 4th choice: more or less flush water. Both the Momentary and Smart flush options ONLY work on toilets that use pressurized flush water...won't work on sea water toilets.
peghall is online now   Reply With Quote