Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2018, 15:54   #31
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Proposed human cycle powered watermaker

The video and if you google related discussions will show generating electricity is a silly non-starter idea.

Just objective reality, can't argue with physics.

But taking a quality hand-operated watermaker, and adapting it to work off stronger leg muscle power would be eminently practical, and ciuld perhaps even be made reliable enough to depend on.

The fact that long passages are so exhausting you won't want any exercise is a different factor.

As is the gal/hr production rate.

Nothing wrong with realism, makes a fun experiment more likely to actually be productive.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 15:54   #32
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Actually the most energy efficent 12V watermaker known is a Spectra Cape Horn Extreme with one pump running 7-8amp/hr. roughly 85 to 100 Watts
The real test of efficiency is AH per gallon.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 16:03   #33

Boat: Leopard 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Actually the most energy efficent 12V watermaker known is a Spectra Cape Horn Extreme with one pump running 7-8amp/hr. roughly 85 to 100 Watts
The spec sheet says 19 amp at 12v
swampbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 16:03   #34

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

A great idea if you can make it as an attachment to a typical bike. I'd be interested and I think it would sell even if a days supply takes half an hour.
Old 04-03-2018, 16:10   #35
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
Unfortunately this thread has degenerated with negativity and contemptuous comments to the point that it is not worth replying to anymore. There seem to be a fair number of these types in every crowd who instead of looking for solutions, are only content to ridicule and heap scorn, imply ignorance, and stupidity. Constructive and useful comments are in the minority as usual. I've been designing and building equipment for various purposes for many years.... basically a lifetime. If I'd listened to the nay sayers, I would have sat in front of the TV like a vegetable instead of doing things. I can only assume that some folks here are projecting their own incompetence and poor judgment, and assuming that it is universal.
This is exactly the sort of thing I do. I have been building and repairing things since I was a child and I'm 62. It's how I make my living. It starts out with an idea, then progresses to some basic reading to determine feasibility, then serious research, and finally to the design phase and then construction. If I were as ignorant and foolish as some people seem to be suggesting, I wouldn't have made it past 20, much less to retirement age. Every internet forum seems to have these kinds of people. Fortunately my community and my customer base seem to be different. They bring me challenges, because they know I'll solve them, and that's paid my way nearly all my life.

There really isn't any more to say, accept to thank those few who have provided positive input.

H.W.
Unfortunately in today's age growing a thicker skin seems to be a necessity. But I've actually seen several attempts by people trying the same type of watermaker set up. The only one I found that actually worked was a guy who strapped two EBay bought PowerSurvivors35's to a home made hinged 2by4 step master. Unfortunately I laughed, he got mad at my obvious Rube Goldberg insurrection and wouldn't let me take a picture of it. Always regretted that. Sorry Tornado Bill, wherever you are.

J.T. (aka Tellie)
HaldenMarineService@yahoo.com
(954) 515-7077
Spectra Watermakers
BlueWater watermakers
RainMan watermakers.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 16:11   #36
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post

One per gallon made.
Old 04-03-2018, 16:17   #37

Boat: Fortuna, Island Spirit 400, 40ft. Catamaran - S/V One White Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampbush View Post
The 19 amps is running both feed water pumps and produces ~55 liters/hour (16 gals/hour). With one pump running you get Tellie's numbers.

The arrangement the OP talked about didn't include a Clarke Pump (~$5000 and weight) so we're really talking about the old days when one needed about ~60 amps at 12 volts or 720 watts.

I agree with the poster who suggested a bicycle arrangement driving a small manual water maker if you want to get the exercise and make water. I think this would be a fun experiment and the OP should go for it.

I've got 1250 watts of solar, a Spectra Cape Horn and tankage of 900 liters which is full before each passage. We've crossed the Pacific and had no water worries.

Regards,
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 16:18   #38
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampbush View Post

That's running both pumps. Then the energy use per gallon made goes up slightly but still the most energy efficient system there is.

J.T. (aka Tellie)
(954) 515-7077
Spectra Watermakers
BlueWater watermakers
RainMan watermakers.
Old 04-03-2018, 16:22   #39

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
...There is a problem of exercise...You get your exercise, and at the same time reduce water tankage...
I am reminded of the saying:
"Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 16:22   #40
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olorin View Post
The 19 amps is running both feed water pumps and produces ~55 liters/hour (16 gals/hour). With one pump running you get Tellie's numbers.

The arrangement the OP talked about didn't include a Clarke Pump (~$5000 and weight) so we're really talking about the old days when one needed about ~60 amps at 12 volts or 720 watts.

I agree with the poster who suggested a bicycle arrangement driving a small manual water maker if you want to get the exercise and make water. I think this would be a fun experiment and the OP should go for it.

I've got 1250 watts of solar, a Spectra Cape Horn and tankage of 900 liters which is full before each passage. We've crossed the Pacific and had no water worries.

Regards,

After a few years of dealing with Spectra they were very generous and told me to pick any watermaker in their line for my boat. I chose the CHE. Out of all the watermakers made, even in Spectras line, Still my all time favorite is the CHE.

J.T. (aka Tellie)
(954) 515-7077
Spectra Watermakers
BlueWater watermakers
RainMan watermakers.
Old 04-03-2018, 17:47   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
or rather, Watts/litre (since Amps is dependent on actual system voltage).

Which Spectra give as 4.2 for their dual pump Spectra Cape Horn 330 (I can't find figures for Tellie's "one pump" version. (Most 12V watermakers seem to run around 6-8 W/l)

(And I won't say anything further about his 7-8amp/hr )
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 17:52   #42

Boat: Liberty 458

Humans are fairly poor power producers. 700W for a good athlete is all you'll get of your legs. Go solar.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 18:33   #43

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

A few thoughts:

1. Indeed, the Spectra 150 runs 9 A @12v to produce 6 gallons/hr. This is 108 watts. At 750 W/HP, then about 0.14 HP to produce 6 GPH. Consider, through that the Spectra HP pump is very efficient, so expect to halve the efficiency with a home-built system. On the other hand, the electrical pump of the spectra is low pressure (on order of 80-100 psi) so one "could" take a spectra WM, and use a pedal-powered water pump to drive it. But, it takes a bit of time to run before good product is obtained, and a few gallons to flush at the end, so "plan" to pump for a while at a time.

2. Certainly feasible (and probably preferable and certainly less expensive) to take a manual WM (available on EBay from surplus) and convert it to pedal power, especially if not concerned with throughput. We had one as an emergency ditch bag item, and it was certainly hard work to run it by hand, but by leg???
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 18:47   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhass View Post
A few thoughts:

1. Indeed, the Spectra 150 runs 9 A @12v to produce 6 gallons/hr. This is 108 watts. At 750 W/HP, then about 0.14 HP to produce 6 GPH.
Presumably, that's the Spectra Ventura 150? For comparison with the figures above, they are rated by Spectra at 4.5W/l which is slightly more power hungry than the CHE (4.2W/l) but still very good in comparison the other brands.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 19:23   #45

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Tellie,

My Spectra 180 is working fine, but what the heck is a CHE?
I couldn't find it on spectra's website.

Steve

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker