Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2024, 07:54   #1

Pickling Watermaker - Bypass HP Pump or Not?

I have a new CruiseRO watermaker and I'll be laying-up my boat for a few months so pickling for the first time. The CruiseRO instructions show the high pressure pump is bypassed so only the membranes are pickled (see attached picture). They are also explicit to NOT turn on the high pressure pump during pickling. SeawaterPro video shows no such bypass and says it ok to run the HP pump during pickling. .

https://youtu.be/4VLB9l7210o?feature=shared

I would think the pickling solution should be run through the High Pressure pump as the SWP instructions show. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance -
Click image for larger version

Name:	CRO PIckle Bypass.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	287724
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2024, 09:02   #2

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Re: Pickling Watermaker - Bypass HP Pump or Not?

While I keep the HP pump in line I use only the fresh water pump pressure to flush pickling solution through the system. Pump and membrane are 10 years old and I'm still making less than 200ppm product water. Note that I only pickle using product water from the tank and then still run it through a carbon filter in case there is residual chlorine in the system from previous city water fills. I usually have done several water making runs before pickling so there is not much original tank water left in the system.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2024, 18:18   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I pickle my whole system from the SW pump on. Both pumps, filters, etc. My plumbing is setup to be able to feed FW to the SW pump. My system always rests in FW. When I pickle I mix 5 gallons and feed to the SW pump so everything is pickled. When making water I run for 15 minutes or so before sending the product to the tanks. Usually a taste test, too. Recently changed 10 year old membranes because they were old but still had good numbers. I make water year round so don't pickle too often.

I have a homemade 40+gph (in 77°F water) somewhat similar to Cruse RO. After mistakes and learning it would have been cheaper to buy one of their systems.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2024, 23:52   #4

Boat: Riva 48

It makes no difference if you switch the high pressure pump on or off as long as you do not create pressure in the system with the needle valve. Water will just run through the system at no pressure with the needle valve fully open. Many water makers have just one high pressure pump and no feed pump at all.

I am against pickling in general though... the cleaning agents run $80-90, plus the hassle while a new membrane is $189. I would just use the old membrane until the quality of the water decreases then replace the membrane.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, water, watermaker