Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2014, 08:37   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: New fresh head from Raritan backordered... is it a sign?

Hadn't thought of the rope, can't hurt and may well be very helpful, thanks
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:49   #17

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Hadn't thought of the rope, can't hurt and may well be very helpful, thanks
You're welcome. Using rope or string when pulling wire or cable is another trick. Running cables for a windlass at two or three dollars a foot? Pull a piece of string or light rope through where the cables will be. Mark the other end and you have the length of cables you will need. Pull it through until the mark shows and cut it. You now have a piece to measure and another to pull the cables with once you get them.

I pulled a lot of wires and cables in my day.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:03   #18

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

The only time I used strong acid on a heavily calcified head exhaust hose, the loosened deposits clogged it and I had to mechanically clear it. I have had no problems once I started regularly (once very 2 weeks) using vinegar and letting it sit overnight.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:18   #19

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

The hoses are not really the issue. Ours are short runs, 3-4' each, so they are easy to remove and clean. I admit I've been battling head issue that were somewhat related to the hoses/thru-hull being clogged. The main issue I had with the electric head was how noisy it was. In the middle of the night and somebody flushes it sounds like a chainsaw attacking the hull! So in all my extensive troubleshooting I took 1' of the rise out of the vented loop, which means it's still high enough but much less pumping to clear it. We do have odor issues, but that's typically due to aim and lack of an easy way to wash down the head (a faucet upgrade with sprayer will fix this). So no more hose talk, please!

My reason from ordering from WM was to avoid shipping fees from Defender, since the price is about the same, it makes it easier to return versus having to ship it back if there was a problem, but for grins i checked Defender and they still have it in stock.

So we have the jabsco manual toilet - $150 (already own, about 1 yr old)
Raritan Fresh head manual toilet - $400 upgrade
and now I just saw the new whisper flush - $700 upgrade

Anyhow, not made of money, actually wife got laid off 6 months early because she gave them too much notice that we are leaving to go cruise, but having a nice toilet would probably be a justifiable expense. Anybody seen the new whisper flush first hand?

I've just always been a "go whichever way the wind blows" kind guy, and when something tries this hard to escape my purchase, I question why!
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:30   #20

Quote:

You do know of course if you simply turn off your salt water supply to your head and pour fresh water into it from a milk jug or similar, you have a fresh head.
Not really.

Head Pumps 101 Why just pouring water into the bowl is NOT a good idea Head Sea Water Shutoff Valve & Antisiphon question

An easier way to do it:

Head Odors 101.1 - "T" into sink drain: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5....html#msg38216
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 16:05   #21

Boat: CUSTOM BUILD, 50' ALUM. PILOT HOUSE CUTTER

I have a salt flush electric +Smart switch (fromNZ) will flush for a few of minutes if you want ie large volume of water goes thru system. Once a month fresh flush, and soak with Salt-X. No smells always works.
JAYEN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:42   #22

Boat: Brewer 12.8, 42'

We had a similar problem. Even after replacing plugged hose and vented loop we still couldn't pump there was so much back pressure. It turned out the holes around the rim of the bowl were plugged. These were cleaned by removing the bowl and soaking it upside down in Barnacle Buster. The out go hoses were also plugged but Barnacle Buster cleared them out, too. The head works great now!
jcdexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 16:08   #23

What about other Raritan fresh water heads like elegance and know a few are very happy and love them and sea era welled liked but i like the elegance best.
Nick
Seadaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 17:56   #24

Anyhow, I thought I'd give a final (hopefully) update to the toilet saga
I was debating..going back and forth... on going to WM to upgrade to a fancier toilet that would have been electric and $300-$400 more, but work got crazy and then the weather got crazy and it didn't happen. Happily though, somebody bought the electric jabsco toilet from us off CL. We have so much crap on the boat it's always a pleasure to see something go! As we're walking down the gangway putting the money in our pocket the phone rings... it's WM, the fresh head is in!

So I figure that must be the right choice, considering the timing of everything.

Going with the flow...
Old 10-01-2015, 16:17   #25

Finally got the head installed. It's very nice... much better than the jabsco it replaced. The pumping action is easier, the flush works great.

I ended up paying $350 for the Fresh Head and I got an elegance for the aft to replace the vacuflush for $611.

This is the 4th toilet I've installed in the forward head. The boat came with a Skipper 2, I rebuilt it, it still leaked, so I replaced it with a jabsco manual. Swapped that out with Jabsco electric. Put the manual back in, and now the raritan. One more to go, then no more toilet work for a while I hope.
Old 10-01-2015, 16:37   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Seeing as you have so much experience with several different ones, let us or at least me know what you think about it after living with it for awhile.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 11-01-2015, 07:10   #27

Quote:
Seeing as you have so much experience with several different ones, let us or at least me know what you think about it after living with it for awhile.
Since you asked, I'll share!

The jabsco manual you have to grab a handled and pull and push. If you use the head in the middle of the night I find it wakes you up too much. Compared to the raritan fresh head, which you work a slot machine type lever. It takes less effort to pump, and since the raritan pumps more per stroke, it takes fewer pumps.

The jabsco electric was less effort than the manual, obviously, but it sounded like a chainsaw, so it not only wakes you up in the middle of the night, but everybody else on the boat.

I fought plumbing issues through all the toilet changes, that were a result of calcification. So I hope not have that isue again, my only concern is how much water it will use. I'm still hoping to find a deal on a water maker.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:59   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It's going to use water of course, at least on my boat the odor is pretty much gone, I'll deal with the water use, but then I don't have to haul jugs of water either.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
head, raritan