Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2014, 15:57   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Raritan fresh water conversion

Anybody done this? My head needs the whole pump body replaced really, but I can convert ot fresh water flush for less money, I figure I can leave one as salt water capable if for some reason I need to save water
Raritan Fresh Head Retrofit Kit
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 16:31   #2

Boat: Catalina
Re: Raritan fresh water conversion

I put in a new one and plumbed it to fresh water. Was told that is would smell less that way. If you ran out of fresh water, could always dump a bucket of salt water in it and it would work.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
ctsunsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 16:36   #3

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

How about a header tank mounted above the head. No lines to your potable. Don't want you to get Ebola.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 17:09   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

See I can do the conversion for less money than replacing the pump and keeping what I have,
The conversion has a vacuum break and surely if cross contamination were possible the lawsuits would bankrupt Raritan, so I doubt they would build something not well though out. I like it as it's freshwater without having to be electric.
Yes I could do a water closet, but this is cheaper, factory made and less work to say nothing of not taking up any room, which a water closet would.

ctsunsailor, when you say you put in a new one, what does that mean, a PHII fresh water unit?
Old 29-09-2014, 17:17   #5

Boat: Catalina

Just a regular Raritan macerating head that I plumbed to a fresh water line with a check valve to prevent any back flow. Cost about $300.

Cherry pits have to be manually removed.......

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
ctsunsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 08:25   #6

Boat: Menger 19' Catboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsunsailor View Post
Just a regular Raritan macerating head that I plumbed to a fresh water line with a check valve to prevent any back flow. Cost about $300.
I really don't think bacteria are too impressed by check valves.
Ukeluthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 08:40   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well I went ahead and ordered the thing, price was $179 as opposed to $224 to replace my mechanicals, as we use strictly fresh water to flush with from a milk jug as long as it works as advertised I doubt we will miss the jug.

The possible ramifications of the check valve allowing something into the drinking water, and both of us getting horribly sick, especially if on a passage just isn't worth the risk to me.
Old 30-09-2014, 14:07   #8

Boat: Dufour 310

I have had one for 2 years and I am very impressed
It never smells and I have had no problem with contamination. Some idiot put a paper towel down and blocked. I pulled it apart and found that the bolts were corroded. I would assemble with extra grease. I also have the electronic controller which is fantastic also. Hope this helps.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
ben373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 14:26   #9

Why not put a "Y" valve in switch from sea water to fresh water with a single turn?
Les Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 15:40   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Raritan fresh water conversion

It requires I believe pressurized water, so it doesn't have a pump to suck water like a regular head so unless you had pressurized salt water I don't think a Y valve would work.
If it works like I think it does, you open a valve to let water in the bowl, but still manually pump out the bowl, so no electricity involved and you get to determine the amount of water used. Truthfully I have started being extremely wasteful with water, using far more than needed and pumping out regularly, since I started that there is no detectable odor in the boat after being closed up for five days.
I need to replace the whole pump assy anyway as mine is 27 yrs old, plastic has turned a little yellow and las weekend the plastic part of the pump handle broke
Old 01-10-2014, 10:20   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Crawford View Post
Why not put a "Y" valve in switch from sea water to fresh water with a single turn?
You guys are just beggin' for dysentery aren't you?

Bacteria don't respect valves of any sort -- be they Y-valves or check valves.

I have fresh-water flush and it's great, but with an independent tank. No way am I going to make any physical connection between my head or sea water and my potable water supply.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:50   #12
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Did anyone follow the OP's link? The Raritan unit is an engineered unit, like that found in public rest rooms, with break and double block. I don't think backflow is possible.

Nope don't know about the unit, but it sure seems plausible. I've never heard of a reason why contentional restroom gear would not work, though many suggest it is either overkill or a simpler method. Me, I'm just listening.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:53   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Read the link guys, this isn't some mod I'm doing on my own, Raritan has a kit that converts their PHII head as well as others to pressurized fresh water flush
http://www.defender.com/pdf/503404.pdf
What I think this gives me is I get to keep my nearly bullet proof PHII, but get fresh water flush with no chance of it making us sick.

Weird thing is, I can't find it on Raritan's web site?
Old 01-10-2014, 10:57   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sorry, I'm so slow in posting I miss things, like thinwaters post
Old 01-10-2014, 11:14   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Did anyone follow the OP's link? The Raritan unit is an engineered unit, like that found in public rest rooms, with break and double block. I don't think backflow is possible.

Nope don't know about the unit, but it sure seems plausible. I've never heard of a reason why contentional restroom gear would not work, though many suggest it is either overkill or a simpler method. Me, I'm just listening.
I wasn't referring to whether Raritan's engineered system was a risk; I was referring to all the posts I've seen here and in other similar threads where it is suggested that a simple Y-valve between sea and potable water supplies or a check valve between the potable water supply and a head not engineered for potable-water flush will suffice to prevent bacterial contamination.

In the very act of operation, a valve will carry bacteria from one side to the other on its seats, ball or gate.

I'm not a germophobe... far from it. But I am speaking as a former liveaboard who once got hepatitis A from accidentally ingesting seawater in a marina. Not an experience I'd like to repeat...

Tags
raritan, water