Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14-10-2011, 16:06   #11

Boat: Hopefully a cruising Catamaran about 40'.
Re: I Cured the Smell from My Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
chlorine bleach after it reacts with organic matter , neutralizes into harmless salt water

HowStuffWorks "How does chlorine bleach work?"

The tiny amount of bleach from a holding tank when discharge, does not do anything, does not enter the food chain and quickly becomes plain old salt water again.

Clorox Bleach Facts

Bleach does not harm the environment
Household bleach begins and ends as salt water in a fully sustainable cycle. There's a significant difference between "bleaching"-- the name often associated with the manufacturing of paper products -- and household bleach.
Tiny amounts add up when there are millions of people using bleach products that run down stream or is added to holding tanks (only two of thousands of uses), even when 95% of it is breaks down quickly, there is 5% that doesn't. The .2 % per billion of Mercury also found in Clorox bleach (possibly higher in other brands) adds up along with the other sources in our waters and food, even in 'tiny' amounts. The 2-5% bleach that doesn't fully break down and would be usually treated by a municipal water treatment plant, doesn't when in a holding tank and later released out in blue water (I would hope blue water). Bleach may not be the worse of all the chemicals out there people may use, its still something we should use in small amounts and for a good reason - disinfectants are one of them until we find something better. Trying to get rid of a smell that could be taken care of with proper ventilation, various natural products (vinegar) etc., isn't a good enough reason in my opinion based off all the information I have had to read and wanted to read on the subject of pollution in our oceans. The world can only handle so many pollutants, the 2-5% every drop of all the bleach that still contaminates the water along with the huge amounts of every other toxin being released into the water adds up to a big problem down the line. This is similar to how we can only handle so much pollutants until we more than likely get cancer or other medical problems - a cigarette once in a while wont hurt, but many of them all the time (even in small amounts) makes a huge difference. Using any pollutant out in open waters wouldn't be as damaging as when done so in a more heavily populated area where you have to deal with everyone polluting and having it add up to higher levels in that region, nature doesn't have the ability to break down so much at such a rate quick enough for it not to be harmful to use in some way or another. Out in blue water away from any dense population at a moderate use, basic household chemicals should be fine.

Now of course there isnt anything that can work available, then do what you need to do - bleach, whatever.

I'm trying to find the journals and articles on this subject I had from classes a couple years ago (Bio and all that, when it came to Oceanography I mostly studied the waters of San Diego and Mexico). At least one of them covered the use of chemicals with everyday boat use also. Not sure if I have them still, if I do or can get a hold of my professor I'll post them up in another thread on water pollution and what else we can use if available later. Knowing is half the battle. Go Joe!

If chlorine bleach is so safe to the environment then drink a glass of pool water (not the kiddie pool, too much pee) everyday and see what happens down the line. Just kidding, please no one drink pool water.

Sorry didn't mean to go on and on. If you read all this and hated it, I'm sorry.
DazeAtSea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head