Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2011, 15:40   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50
Adler Barbour Refrigeration - Evaporator Clearance

I installed a new SCM into an 7 or 8 cu ft fridge. Using the large horizontal evaporator.

The fridge will (someday) be torn apart and rebuilt but till then I have only about 1/2" clearance on the sides of the evaporator.

How much will this limit the cooling capacity? What is the recommended side clearance?

THe bottom is free and clear. I had thought that I could put a fan if needed to draw air past the top and sides.

Regards, Ethan
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 16:17   #2

Boat: Seafarer 38
Re: Adler Barbour Refrigeration - evaporator clearance

I can't recall, but I seem to remember the manual mentioning clearances in it. We installed ours with a cold plate and didn't have the spec'd clearance on the sides, but did on the bottom. It works well for us. I do think that because the unit can cool a 15 cu foot fridge, it would likely work. It might not be as efficient, and your fan could be a good idea, but it will keep your box cold. Try it without and see how it goes.
engele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:56   #3
Marine Service Provider

Re: Adler Barbour Refrigeration - Evaporator Clearance

Because you have the large evaporator and it is not up against box liner 1/2 inch is not going to stop natural air movement needed to transfer heat into refrigerant. What will happen if there is a little less heat transfer is an improvement in delta T temperature between evaporator freezing chamber and refrigeration section by lower freezing chamber temperature without lowering refrigerator section temp. I am assuming evaporator is mounted high in box, if not a 10 cfm fan in box running all the time will force warm air to bottom of box normalizing overall box temperatures.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:03   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Adler Barbour Refrigeration - Evaporator Clearance

You can take Richard’s advice to the bank.

See the Instructions ➥ http://www.raycotechnologies.org/adlerbarbour.pdf

“... Locate the evaporator vertically, as high as possible on any sidewall in the icebox. Template, standoffs (1”) and mounting screws (1-3/4”) are supplied ...”

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigeration