Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 08:55   #1

I Cured the Smell from My Head

So, I have installed a new Jabsco head and waste piping and have still been getting a nasty odor every time it's flushed. I concluded, as others have, the odor must be coming from the inlet hose. Nasty! So a couple of days afo I was looking at the installation and thought to my self " self, why not remove the small plastic valve from the inlet anti syphon loop and put some bleach down there?". This I did, using a small funnel and let it soak for a short while, and then I flushed and guess what, NO BLOODY SMELL! It was easy to do and will be a regular job when the odor comes back. I think the problem is not so much in the inlet pipe,but the area around the inlet valve on the head.
Bazzer
bazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:18   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Re: I cured the smell from my toilet

It has been suggested previously on this forum that Chlorine bleach may not be good for the head.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:39   #3

Re: I Cured the Smell from My Head

I believe vingar will do the same job and not damage anything
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:40   #4

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser

Im not sure its a good idea for the impeller and seals to be in contact with bleach.

Im not as impressed as I once was with my Jabsco head, its certainly not as hygene friendly as a regular domestic flush loo
Old 12-10-2011, 10:06   #5

Chlorine is commonly used in toilets, I can't believe that it can be bad for them. If it was surely Jabsco would put a warning on there products? It's certainly good for my head. Pun intended lol
bazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:25   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

vinegar is better for getting rid of salt build up and stagnant sea water, which reeks of hydrogen sulfide/rotten eggs... chlorine bleach hurts the rubber thingies in the head which are not found in household toilets.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:56   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
vinegar is better for getting rid of salt build up and stagnant sea water, which reeks of hydrogen sulfide/rotten eggs...
I think the characteristic rotten egg stink may actually be attributed to dimethyl sulfide (DMS); being a sulfur compound like hydrogen sulfide.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:30   #8

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Gord' you continue to amaze! Cheers, CP
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 13:30   #9
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Chlorine is commonly used in toilets,"
Surely you mean the porcelain toilets used on land. Connected mainly to sewer systems.

Chlorine does in fact come with many warning lables on it, and chews apart all sorts of plastics and "rubber" parts, including the critical valves in marine heads. It also sterilizes everything, which is why it will kill the bacteria that are necessary for any septic tank or holding tank to work properly.

In limited doses for short times? It does little damage. It still does some damage, every time, every use. That's what chlorine is supposed to do--damage all life forms, so it sterilizes things.

Good in porcelain toilets. Good for washdown after rebuilding head. Not something you want to put in your marine head system, except for limited purposes. Like, perhaps, cleaning ordure out of a vent valve.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 13:47   #10
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

chlorine does not sterilize anything. it does not kill bacteria, there are many in hospital studies to that effect and i was privy to seeing these in my career. donot fool yourself.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 14:03   #11
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

zeehag, I know there are many critters resistant to being killed, including some that plague hospitals and resist bleach. But by and large, most life forms die when exposed to some concentration of chlorine substantially shorter than pure chlorine gas. Which is also easy enough to accidentally liberate in the home.

Chlorine, ammonia, steam...won't kill everything but sure will kill more than tapwater does. And often will kill everything found in the home or boat environment.

Hospitals? No, those are just incredibly dirty places, usually run by people who really don't give a damn. (Nothing personal there--I know you didn't RUN one.)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 14:04   #12
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzer View Post
Chlorine is commonly used in toilets, I can't believe that it can be bad for them. If it was surely Jabsco would put a warning on there products? It's certainly good for my head. Pun intended lol
They DID PRINT A WARNING. Page 6 of the manual, under cleaning and maint. But we never read manuals.

http://www.ittflowcontrol.com/files/itemdoc142681.pdf

Home toilets are made of ceramic and drain into iron pipe. No incompatibilities. Marine heads have elastomer valves and rubber hose. Very different.

Bleach also works against most holding tank chemicals.
Old 12-10-2011, 14:21   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
chlorine does not sterilize anything. it does not kill bacteria, there are many in hospital studies to that effect...
Bullroar!

It’s important to distinguish between sterilization* and disinfection. Whereas sterilization* results in destruction of all forms of microbial life, disinfection results in destruction of specific pathogenic microorganisms.

Chlorine effectively kills a large variety of microbial waterborne pathogens, including those (particularly gram-negative**) that can cause typhoid fever, dysentery, cholera and Legionnaires' disease.

Chlorine is widely credited with virtually eliminating outbreaks of waterborne disease in the United States and other developed countries.

* Sterilization is a term referring to any process that eliminates (removes) or kills all forms of microbial life, including transmissible agents (such as fungi, bacteria, viruses, spore forms, etc.) present.

** By definition, gram-negative bacteria possess cell walls that consist of an outer membrane and a cytoplasmic membrane. The outer membrane, being the outermost region that has direct contact with the organism's environment, functions as a protective barrier; which chlorine attacks.

I'd be very interested in seeing (and surprised should they support the thrust of your argument) any such studies as zeehag describes.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 14:29   #14

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Vinigar is what is used in airplane heads. Same problems as boats.
Old 12-10-2011, 14:37   #15

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

bleach kills a lot of microorganisms.
Though it wont kill raccoon roundworm which is fairly deadly to humans and most raccoons are infectious.

CDC - Raccoons and Pools - Animals and Pools - Pools & Hot Tubs - Healthy Swimming & Recreational Water - Healthy Water

Quote:
How do I clean my pool if it has been contaminated with Baylisascaris?
Because Baylisascaris eggs are particularly tough, adding chlorine to the water will not kill them. If a lab test has confirmed that the raccoon was infected with Baylisascaris or you don’t know if the raccoon was infected because the raccoon’s feces were not tested, there are two options for cleaning your pool.
one solution is drain the pool!

this parasite is so deadly that their have been fears terrorists will contaminate the water system killing a lot of people.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head