Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2024, 02:32   #1

Boat: Islander Bahama 30
Stalok actual usage: Passing on info

Hi everyone,
I wanted to share some information that I got from Stalok today that may help others doing a DIY re-rig and who might search for this topic on here, which is probably not uncommon, but I haven't seen it discussed before.

I am re-rigging my boat (1984 Islander Bahama 30) with Stalok lower terminals and swaged t-ball uppers. I am doing all of my own work, having never done this before.

I've been planning out the re-rig for the last two years by doing a lot of research, watching many videos, asking for advice and receiving some good advice back. And practicing with different mechanical terminals. Two weekends ago I removed the chain plates on starboard, potted everything and put in the new ones. Last weekend I installed Stalok terminals on my four lower shrouds.

I added the Stalok terminals while at the dock by stretching out the old ones alongside the new ones. I then cut the wires and installed the Staloks to make sure they were the right size.

One thing I noticed is that it was either very easy or very hard to get the wires to distribute equally around the cone. I did two of four lower shrouds perfectly (with equal distribution all around, no wire in slot) and two that were so-so looking (no wire in slot but unequal distribution). The so-so ones were quite difficult to get to wrap around then cone correctly and I wasn't sure what was wrong. The most annoying part was that the wires would end up splayed out instead of coming together a bit, which makes screwing the cap with the eye onto the body of the terminal impossible.

So, since it was bothering me I called Stalok. I was told that it is ok if the outer wires are not evenly distributed when you screw the terminal together. It will not meaningfully weaken the terminal. The important thing is that there is no wire in the slot, that the wires are all wrapped around the back side of the terminal when you check it, and the clearance of the inner threads is right. That way, when you tension the cone it is pulled forward by the arms on the backside of the cone, and the bearing surface of the wires, caught between the terminal outer all and the con on the other, is sufficient to keep the wire in place. But as far as equal distribution around the cone, that is not that important, as long as it is not too bad. He did not define "too bad" here but I would imagine that as long as the wires are not entirely on one side or the other you would be ok. Finally, he said that if the wires are squirrelly you can actually bend them over terminal with pliers to them them started, the apply the terminal. That would have saved me a lot of work had I called them earlier in the week.

Anyways, I hope someone finds this useful. If you have other rigging tech tips I'd be interested in hearing about them!
zachduckworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2024, 12:06   #2

Boat: Islander Bahama 30
Re: Stalok actual usage: Passing on info

Wow, pardon my spelling. I fell asleep while finishing the top post and now I canít edit it.
zachduckworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2024, 12:45   #3
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachduckworth View Post
Wow, pardon my spelling. I fell asleep while finishing the top post and now I canít edit it.
No worries - it was understandable..

dj
dlj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2024, 14:31   #4

Boat: sailboat

> Wow, pardon my spelling.

There were typos??

Thank you for the info., I have Staylok fittings on board for emergency use, I'll make notes of your post and put it in the bag with the fittings.
Kello is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
USA