Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2013, 16:13   #1

Unhappy Holding Tank Hose

It's been about 7 years since I replaced hoses between the toilet, holding tank and pump out fitting and I noticed last year that familiar unwanted odor. From what I've heard before you only get about 5-6 years out of a good hose. That's probably why the hose manufacture warrents for 5 years.

This spring I plan on replacing all the hoses on this system. I figure if I going in to this "stuff' I should replace everything at once and be done with at least for a while again.

I also have heard of using hard PVC pipe that will not permeate odors. Since everything will be replaced now is a good time to switch to the hard pvc if this is doable. I think I can make any sharp turns out of 45's and not use hard 90's to keep pluggage to a minimum.

Question has anyone done this? Issues, problems, how long has it lasted? If you were to do over again what would you change?

Thanks for your comments.
gulfstar37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 16:30   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Holding Tank Hose

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfstar37 View Post
................ Question has anyone done this? Issues, problems, how long has it lasted? If you were to do over again what would you change?

Thanks for your comments.
I've had the same boat for about thirty years and after some time (5 to 7 years) I notice an odor when I wipe a damp cloth across my hose and give it a sniff test. If I do something different it will be because I hear of your report about the results of your PVC replacement. Yes, do this and let us know! Will the run be long enough to absorb some vibration and movement? Will you keep a short piece of hose for the connection to the through hull? Will you be using this from the head to the tank and from the tank to the pump out....to the through hull discharge? I can't wait!... you will be the guinea pig. It's like the old cereal commercial,- "let Mikey try it!"
Old 17-02-2013, 16:32   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

The problem with PVC is over time it gets hard and brittle. The solid will last longer per se but I think I would go with the schedule 80 vs 40 just because the 40 cracks easier.

Also the problem with solid is getting the larger pieces in place and/or joint connections in tight spots. You only have one chance to get it sealed or you'll have to cut it and modify to repair.

In my case I have too many bends to justify all the joints.
Old 17-02-2013, 16:36   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Use hose, it is so much easier to route. I know PVC is cheaper but for this I don't think it pays to go the cheapest route. With hose you also don't have to push sewage through sharp 90 degree bends

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 17:04   #5

Boat: Irwin 40

The PVC pipe does work well and lasts a long time if you can get it in. There are some good slip connections you can use. Check what is available at your local hardware or home improvement store. Use the sweep turns and not the sharp 90s Use hose in short runs when you have to, I drop down to 1-1/4" to make a hose barb and double clamp. i have installed systems with as little as 12" of hose total.
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 17:27   #6

Boat: Swarbrick 40

I think its a great idea. I have had a bit of experience with gluing all sorts of shapes and fittings together while building my marine aquarium. Might not sound like much but it had allot of design changes and complex plumbing.
The PVC was cheap, abundant, had hundreds of readily available fittings and above all, was easy to work with. If you made a mistake you just cut out that piece and glued in a new piece.
With a little bit of practice you can heat it and bend it. Although I never did attempt it.
The only thing would be working out the best way to attach to the sea cock?
Old 17-02-2013, 18:22   #7

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I wonder how, lets say 1 1/4" solid back ABS would work and adapt the ends to hose of a few inches?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 18:44   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Other then that ABS can be dissolved by solvents and fuels, it would work ok in a marine envoroment. PVC is a lot more inert then ABS (that is it can handle solvents better to a point anyway, but structural properties are similar. In thinking about it I would not put ABS anywhere where flooding would be an issue...
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 21:20   #9

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Hmmmm...solvents and fuels in the head? Not on my vessel. I am referring the the 1/4" wall thickness ABS used as plumbing waste pipe. The rigid stuff with the black glue. Flooding an issue?...hmmm
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 22:19   #10

Boat: Skookum 53 ketch

Delmarrey - if PVC is outside, its get hard and brittle. But, I had to liberate some wiring from PVC in my engine room that have been there for 25 years, next to a diesel with over 10,000 hours of running time. I figured it would be easy to crack off the pieces. No such luck. It was not brittle at all, and still damn tough. I was quite surprised, and rather impressed that it would have such a long service life in an engine room.
Billr
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 04:57   #11

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Be careful with runs of rigid pipe on a boat. When the boat flexes and the pipe doesn't, you can have problems, either right away or down the line. My suggestion is to go with all hose. If that is out of the question, then go with pipe and hose in combination.
Old 18-02-2013, 05:15   #12
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

the solvents and fuels dont need to be in the head--there are leaks that occur on boats...

have fun and good luck..

as a previous poster said--

let mikey try it--

we will watch and see....i just used the pricey white sani hosing....even have some left over for my other disgusting project..macerator installation......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 05:27   #13
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

I've had my boats head plumbed with pvc for 5 years now with no issues. I had people tell me it wouldn't work well, would crack, shouldn't be used on a boat etc.... I think pvc is smoother than hose and less prone to plugging. I haven't had a plugged line ever. Adapting for macerator and thru hull was simple. Just get threaded fittings. I did use a piece of hose to connect to the head barb. With the crazy price for sanitation hose I saved hundreds.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 08:36   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Hmmmm...solvents and fuels in the head? Not on my vessel. I am referring the the 1/4" wall thickness ABS used as plumbing waste pipe. The rigid stuff with the black glue. Flooding an issue?...hmmm
As zee said its not from inside the pipe but from leaking cans stored around them. Yes ABS or Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene Pipe. ABS is damaged / deteriorated by sunlight and is dissolved by chemicals containing esters, ketones, ethylene dichloride and acetone. PVC on the other hand is far more inert then ABS with a much higher chemical resistance generally speaking.

So for example, if your glassing in or tabbing around ABS and spill some resin on the ABS pipe, the resin can eat through the ABS. So no I would not use it say to connect to a thru hull fitting..
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 09:15   #15

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

I am into my second boat where I installed PVC waste plumbing. My first boat, a 30' Hunter I did 30 years ago which was just fine when I sold it over 5 years ago.

My 40' Silverton stunk when I first purchased it some 7 years ago. Having been there, done that.... I did it again. I ripped out all the old crappy, smelly stink hose, replaced it with the same stuff used in homes (PVC & CPVC) for decades. NO MORE STINK!!!

Do not be mislead thinking that PVC is weak stuff!!! I have used it many times as a lever attached to wrenches and applied my full weight to the pipes without damaging them. Try it yourselves. Also, read the printed pressure ratings on the pipe, if I recall correctly the stuff is rated around 350PSI. NOw one word of caution as broiught to my attention earlier in similar discussions with SailorChic! The fittings are no where as robust as the pipe itself......I HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH FITTINGS although I do recognize they do not have the same strength as the pipe.

90 degree bends! Sure, a couple of 45 degrees should be considered over a straight 90. In my particular cases, I used electrical conduit "sweeps" which provide a smooth 90 degree elbow. Electrical conduit is made using CPVC...the grey stuff.... chlorinated polyvinyl chloride which is just as strong as the white stuff. Although it cannot by code be used in household plumbing it works just fine. The reason for not being used in household plumbing is because it is NOT pressure tested but that does not mean it cannot withstand pressure and in any case, how much pressure is in a marine waste system?

OH---- ALSO THINK $$$$$$$$$$!!!! PVC is almost FREE when matched against the high pressure black flexible hose or for that matter even the white junk sold for this application.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote