Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2022, 20:02   #1

diaphragm pump

i have an old Jabsco belt driven diaphragm pump used for draining the shower. after about a year of non use it now doesn't pump. The motor runs and the piston is being driven but no flow.

i pulled it partially apart to see if there was any obvious problem. the inlet and outlet valves look ok. what I could see of the diaphragm looked ok but I didn't get the diaphragm completely out, yet.

Has anyone replaced one of these diaphragms with a substitute? An original, if I could obtain one (in New Zealand) would be very spendy.

Any other advice? I believe this pump is supposed to be self priming. And it is located beneath the shower drain.

Oh yes, the model is 36950-0200 and in addition to Jabsco it also says Par. And "automatic multi-fixture pump".
azuredragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2022, 21:11   #2

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom
Re: diaphragm pump

The shower, ah-ha, I've a couple of them and it takes almost nothing under a valve seat to stop them.
I've only used the factory parts, (diaphragm/valves,) so can't offer any advice about an "off the books" replacement part.
They are generally good pumps, (and terribly expensive,) but they absolutely will not tolerate any "stuff" in the water.
The original diaphragms are a molded part, I'm not sure one could replicate it.
On second thought, might the center bolt be leaking around the diaphragm?
Yes, they are self-priming and will lift a fair distance.
Old 21-06-2022, 23:04   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

A hair clog in the valve can stop it from pumping. Take the pump apart and clean it. I think the diaphragm is a flat piece of flexible rubber sheeting. Parts are available in the US. Most ship outside.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 157.pdf (230.6 KB, 20 views)
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2022, 23:14   #4

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

My Par bilge pump has a strainer before it. A clogged strainer can keep it from pumping if you have one.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2022, 23:28   #5

Boat: Nordic 44

I have one in my pressure water system. They are very good pumps and go a long time before rebuild and they can be rebuilt just about forever.

But as Lepke and Bowdrie said these are for a pressure water system. Not for pimping dirty water. The check valve is the input pipe fitting. It had to be clean to work. The slightest bit of hair would keep it open and the pump will not work. Either put a strainer on the input side of the pump or get a more suitable pump.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
agm, diaphragm, pump