Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2022, 15:21   #61

Boat: Outremer 55L
Re: Composting Toilet Liquids Diversion

For those that are sailing in strict non discharge zones where toilet systems are inspected, a liquids tank diversion to a throughull for direct discharge means the entire composting head will no longer be considered self contained. If you want to divert the liquids and be compliant with non discharge zones then you will need to route the liquids to a holding tank.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 16:13   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
For those that are sailing in strict non discharge zones where toilet systems are inspected, a liquids tank diversion to a throughull for direct discharge means the entire composting head will no longer be considered self contained. If you want to divert the liquids and be compliant with non discharge zones then you will need to route the liquids to a holding tank.
I only read the first page of this thread maybe somebody else has already said this however , I drove a truck for years and I got used to pooping , if you’re allowed to say that in a plastic bag and throwing it in the trash when or whenever I was able to , basically like dealing with babies and baby diapers as far as liquid goes plastic bottle Basically just refill the bottles that I drink out of I got used to doing that , I do prefer to go in a plastic bag Rather than to use the restroom , once you get used to it works great , my wife uses a coffee can and the plastic bag thing doesn’t seem to bother her at all , public restrooms are nasty , I don’t really care to be pumping my waist by hand down the toilet into a holding tank no thank you
Baby tug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 17:23   #63

Boat: Nordic 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Isn't the pee container already a technically a type of holding tank? My current thinking is that you have a pick up tube that feeds from the bottom of the pee container thats connected to a pump that's routed to the through hull that's connected to the head sink. If you wanted to be extra careful you could add a valve where they meet. Or you carry two containers one that has the hook up that connects to the pump and one that doesn't.
toms-gonesailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 19:11   #64

Boat: Maine Cat 38

We have had 4 on board for a few weeks at a time using a single air head. This goes fine. The urine container needs to be emptied daily. The solids bin needs to be changed every 10 to 14 days, versus more like 30 days when it is just two of us. I think you will work it out.

I have noticed that the solids bin really benefits from a few days off. I think your second bin idea is what I would try before adding a second head. But for us simply emptying the bin more often was never a problem.

We also have an air tight bin next to the head for wipes.

Tags
grass, oil, posting