Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2011, 07:23   #1

Boat: Island Packet 40
Vent for Airhead composting toilet

Hi, I recently installed an Airhead composting toilet and have one issue that needs a permanent solution. It is the venting, It is installed in an IP40 in the forward head and temporarily I am venting it out thru the windlass. One thing I have noticed about this placement is the odor being on deck when there is no wind. I believe the best place to vent would be just under the rub rail coming out at the rear of the chain locker and so I was wondering what have other people have done. What fitting did you use (brand and size etc.) and where did you place it. Also what have you used for a water seperator. Thanks Jim
lovinlifebda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 18:23   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Vent for Airhead composting toilet

There shouldn't be any odor if you've installed it correctly and are operating and maintaining it according to directions. At least that's what the mfr and everyone else who's installed one claims. So I suggest you contact Airhead tech support for a solution.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:06   #3

Boat: Pearson 323 - Island Breezes

I think a very common mistake is to not use enough compost material when you start off using these types of heads. If you don't use enough compost, you'll have odor. I'd try to eliminate the cause of the odor since that'll attract insects.
LauderBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:47   #4

Boat: Island Packet 40

Thanks for your replies, I have reread some of the previous threads on composting toilets and realize you are quite correct about the odor. With some experience I believe the odor will be resolved. Also with some advice from Bloodhound I have set up a nice venting system and whatever odor exists is being sent overboard.
lovinlifebda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 14:30   #5

Boat: hunter

Look into the clear air system,you can get the toilet ventilation kit for it. and vent the odors out the rear of the boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinlifebda View Post
Hi, I recently installed an Airhead composting toilet and have one issue that needs a permanent solution. It is the venting, It is installed in an IP40 in the forward head and temporarily I am venting it out thru the windlass. One thing I have noticed about this placement is the odor being on deck when there is no wind. I believe the best place to vent would be just under the rub rail coming out at the rear of the chain locker and so I was wondering what have other people have done. What fitting did you use (brand and size etc.) and where did you place it. Also what have you used for a water seperator. Thanks Jim
page winslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 15:03   #6
Marine Service Provider

Instead of just redirecting odors, consider actually eliminating them instead. It's not hard to do. There's been quite a bit of discussion about how to do it here and on other boating/sailing forums.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 15:49   #7
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Yoh may get a slight wet dirt odor out of the vent, this is normal. If you get a worse odor it's either time to change the solids or you need to ad peat.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote