Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2011, 07:44   #1

Boat: Shin Fa 458 Custom Cutter but looks like a Liberty 458
Cleaning Watermaker Filters?

mestrezat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 14:05   #2

Boat: Vagabond 42
Re: How to clean watermaker filters?

I have had my watermaker 15 years. If you are talking about the prefilters I rinse them occasionally but I usually just replace them (one 5 micron and one 20 micron). If you are talking about the membrane, it gets a product water flush when I am done using it after a week of cruising. During the last flush cycle I throw in a little #3 membrane preservative. I NEVER use the two cleaners (one for metallic and one for organic substances). Like I said, I have had this watermaker for 15 years. I just installed the third membrane. We use it A LOT!
callistov42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 14:36   #3

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistov42 View Post
I have had my watermaker 15 years. If you are talking about the prefilters I rinse them occasionally but I usually just replace them (one 5 micron and one 20 micron). If you are talking about the membrane, it gets a product water flush when I am done using it after a week of cruising. During the last flush cycle I throw in a little #3 membrane preservative. I NEVER use the two cleaners (one for metallic and one for organic substances). Like I said, I have had this watermaker for 15 years. I just installed the third membrane. We use it A LOT!
How do you "throw in" some?
Old 06-04-2011, 12:58   #4

Boat: Vagabond 42

I have a very rudimentary flush system. There is a hose barb and valve in the raw water intake system. I can close the raw water thru-hull and open the valve to the hose barb. I carry a three gallon rectangular bucket with a hose barb in the bottom of the side wall. I connect the bucket to the hose barb inlet, fill the bucket with product water from the galley faucet, turn the pump pressure all the way down and run product water through the system. The brine outlet has a two way valve so the brine water can go over the side or recirculate. there is a small hose from the two way valve that lets the recirculating product water flow back to the bucket. I usually do three flushes of 3 gallons each for 10 - 15 minutes each time. In the last bucket full, I put in two or three tablespoons of membrane preservative and shut the system down befor it completely empties. Simple and works like a charm. I get better membrane life that some guys I know with fancy automatic flushing systems.
callistov42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 13:13   #5

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistov42 View Post
I have a very rudimentary flush system. There is a hose barb and valve in the raw water intake system. I can close the raw water thru-hull and open the valve to the hose barb. I carry a three gallon rectangular bucket with a hose barb in the bottom of the side wall. I connect the bucket to the hose barb inlet, fill the bucket with product water from the galley faucet, turn the pump pressure all the way down and run product water through the system. The brine outlet has a two way valve so the brine water can go over the side or recirculate. there is a small hose from the two way valve that lets the recirculating product water flow back to the bucket. I usually do three flushes of 3 gallons each for 10 - 15 minutes each time. In the last bucket full, I put in two or three tablespoons of membrane preservative and shut the system down befor it completely empties. Simple and works like a charm. I get better membrane life that some guys I know with fancy automatic flushing systems.

Thank you.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:39   #6

Boat: Nordhavn 5740
Re: Cleaning Watermaker Filters?

I have heard of people dragging their 5 and 20 micron filters behind their boats to clean them.

Anyone who has had success doing this, please feel free to comment.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:08   #7
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbanker View Post
I have heard of people dragging their 5 and 20 micron filters behind their boats to clean them.

Anyone who has had success doing this, please feel free to comment.

It works as long as you're not going too fast. Also, always check the inside of the filter after you have done this. It's rare but for the first time I have heard of a customer, and he's an occasional member here, trapped a flying fish inside the filter. It clogged the membrane and gave him fits for months. But other than that it works fine.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:25   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Yes it works, but as Tellie said you need to watch the speed anything much above 4K to 5K and they will be damaged.
They clean reasonably if you drop them over the side at a windy anchorage. The stern sheering around provides enough water flow. It helps to store them in fresh water for an hour or so and then dry them , this will kill any marine organisms that are then washed out by the water movement.
Finally I recommend the lovely clear water of the Med, there’s not much for the filters to do.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
watermaker, cleaning