Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2020, 07:03   #1

Can a household ice maker be used in marine environment

Can a household ice maker be used in marine environment

I’d like a ice maker on my 22' cruiser but don’t want to spend $1K
For a weekender. Maybe this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q33HD6X..._t1_B07R56HW4G

From want I understand the refrigerate (freeon) needs to sit stationary for one hour before starting the ice maker which is impossiable on a vessel constantly rocking or am I misunderstanding.

Also I’m thinking I’d be constantly filling w/ water. Thanks for advice TB
Old 05-03-2020, 07:09   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Can a household ice maker be used in marine environment

Works great, been using one for years. My kids said it’s the best thing we put on the boat.
We always use ours if we are motoring by turning on the inverter, there is excess power when motoring of course.
They take about an hour or so before they really start making ice, we are sitting at anchor right now with the ice maker on.
The being level for refrigerant is more of an if it’s been laid on it’s side or upside down for an extended period and your wanting the oil to settle back down in the compressor so the oil isn’t pumped around instead of the refrigerant, oil can’t be compressed of course cause it’s not a gas.
But so far as normal boat movements, it hasn’t bothered ours for five years.
You do have to pour water in it every now and again, ours beeps when it’s full or needs water. The ice is worth it, putting water in is just a simple pour it in thing.
I paid $100 for it on Amazon, prices have I’m sure gone up some.
However any ice maker ought to be cleaned every now and again, eventually things begin to grow in it.

This is ours
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9721B3BE-3800-4D5D-88F3-80E36F2A6415.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	418.2 KB
ID:	210078  
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 07:12   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

How are you planning on powering this? Only when connected to shore power at the dock, or from the batteries via an inverter when out on the water?

You really need to know what the wattage is before planning the second option or flat batteries are sure to follow.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 07:32   #4
Marine Service Provider

I always tell our customers that a good icemaker is nearly the only thing on a boat that begins to pay for itself as soon as you make your first 10lbs of ice...
Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 07:32   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Mine pulls about 60W, it will jump to about 120W for a few seconds when it drops the ice, I assume it’s heating the pegs to make the ice drop off.
Best use is when motoring when there is excess power, or in my case when I’m making water, cause my watermaker is AC. But like anything electric, you have to power it.

Even making ice in the freezer, isn’t “free” power wise, it takes power to phase change the water.
Americans like ice in their drinks, and it’s often hotter where we cruise than our European friends, they often just don’t understand ice in drinks.

But if you don’t like it, it was $100.
Old 05-03-2020, 08:04   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Works great, been using one for years. My kids said it’s the best thing we put on the boat.
We always use ours if we are motoring by turning on the inverter, there is excess power when motoring of course.
They take about an hour or so before they really start making ice, we are sitting at anchor right now with the ice maker on.
The being level for refrigerant is more of an if it’s been laid on it’s side or upside down for an extended period and your wanting the oil to settle back down in the compressor so the oil isn’t pumped around instead of the refrigerant, oil can’t be compressed of course cause it’s not a gas.
But so far as normal boat movements, it hasn’t bothered ours for five years.
You do have to pour water in it every now and again, ours beeps when it’s full or needs water. The ice is worth it, putting water in is just a simple pour it in thing.
I paid $100 for it on Amazon, prices have I’m sure gone up some.
However any ice maker ought to be cleaned every now and again, eventually things begin to grow in it.

This is ours
I see the opening on the left side is that the exhaust, do you vent out the hot air?

youre vessel is very clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
How are you planning on powering this? Only when connected to shore power at the dock, or from the batteries via an inverter when out on the water?

You really need to know what the wattage is before planning the second option or flat batteries are sure to follow.

Pete
I don't use shore power uselly on the hook in protected waters.
I'm still in planning stages of powering stuff for livability.
so far just my laptop w/ a 12 V DC LT power supply.

I have a yamaha 2K generator yet to use on vessel.

I'm learning about 6V DC batteries connected to inverter then replenish batteries w/ gen set. I beleive these household IM draw 2amps an hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolerking View Post
I always tell our customers that a good icemaker is nearly the only thing on a boat that begins to pay for itself as soon as you make your first 10lbs of ice...
yes buying ice or fuel at a marina is like highway robbery. remember I trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Mine pulls about 60W, it will jump to about 120W for a few seconds when it drops the ice, I assume it’s heating the pegs to make the ice drop off.
Best use is when motoring when there is excess power, or in my case when I’m making water, cause my watermaker is AC. But like anything electric, you have to power it.

Even making ice in the freezer, isn’t “free” power wise, it takes power to phase change the water.
Americans like ice in their drinks, and it’s often hotter where we cruise than our European friends, they often just don’t understand ice in drinks.

But if you don’t like it, it was $100.
I’m thinking I’d be constantly filling w/ water for a little ice. can saltwater be used to make ice?

Edit: I treat my vessel kindof rudely (much different than real cruisers) like a jetskiers mentality very fast everywhere so there’s lots of bouncing around even at midship.I could just use while on the hook where the rocking is minimized.

Thanks for advice STB
Old 05-03-2020, 09:05   #7

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

+1 for the portable ice maker. Works well for beverages for a couple of glasses. Expect "wet" ice that melts quickly in beverages when its hot out, but is very nice none the less.
We use ours mid day w/excess solar coming in or while motoring.
We have ours strapped down so it doesn't do flying if heeled over.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:40   #8

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Steve1 View Post
I see the opening on the left side is that the exhaust, do you vent out the hot air?

youre vessel is very clean.

I don't use shore power uselly on the hook in protected waters.
I'm still in planning stages of powering stuff for livability.
so far just my laptop w/ a 12 V DC LT power supply.

I have a yamaha 2K generator yet to use on vessel.

I'm learning about 6V DC batteries connected to inverter then replenish batteries w/ gen set. I beleive these household IM draw 2amps an hour.

yes buying ice or fuel at a marina is like highway robbery. remember I trailer.

I’m thinking I’d be constantly filling w/ water for a little ice. can saltwater be used to make ice?

Edit: I treat my vessel kindof rudely (much different than real cruisers) like a jetskiers mentality very fast everywhere so there’s lots of bouncing around even at midship.I could just use while on the hook where the rocking is minimized.

Thanks for advice STB
Only if you like salty ice.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:56   #9

Ocean water freezes just like freshwater, but at lower temperatures. Fresh water freezes at 32 degrees Fahrenheit but seawater freezes at about 28.4 degrees F.
drrossw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:35   #10

Boat: Hunter 30

We were disappointed in our ice maker and eventully gave it away. It made very soft tube ice that melted too quickly. We freeze water in plastic bags and whack'em with a winch handle.
sailm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:55   #11

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Following.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 12:14   #12

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Literally anything can be used on a well kept, dry boat. "Marine" sometimes suggests higher quality parts but often doesn't.

The time "marine" is important is...

When it's got to be ignition proof
When it's going to be wet all the time
When it's exposed to salt spray/water

Otherwise, a well kept boat IS a home on the water. Like a seaside cottage.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 12:18   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Make the ice, put it in a 1 gl freezer bag and store in the freezer, the ice will get very hard.
Best use of them in my opinion is to make ice anytime there is excess power, it actually takes an hour before they really make much ice. The longer they run, the faster they make ice, up to a point of course and that pint is probably about 4 hours or so.
The ice it makes goes into a bucket that has the water under it, of course some ice melts and the longer your making ice, the colder the water, the colder the water, the more ice that is made cause of course remove the same amount of heat from 40 deg water and you get more ice than from 80 deg water.
So these things are best used if you can make ice for several hours and then store the ice, they aren’t so good at making ice for immediate use as you don’t get much ice and as has been said it’s not hard frozen ice.
Old 05-03-2020, 19:20   #14

The freon doesn't need to stand, it's the water in the ice tray that need to be still until the surface of the cubes are frozen. then you can heel over. Your better off getting one of those tiny ice machines the size of a bread maker for about $150.00. They work a lot better if tilted
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 04:36   #15

I should have mentioned I’m Italian and rarely if ever add ice to a drink that’s already cool, it’s a European thing.

Main objective is to keep 3-4 days provisions and caught stuff fresh in coolers and fish bags.

The one gallon jugs actuely are reduced to around 30% of orginal for 3 days in the main cooler that is only opened a couple times a day. This cooler is advertised as a 5 day cooler.this 3 days is a average of outside temps. Cooler temps time is extended a tad.

The thing is, the other coolers which are constantly opened speeds the melting process by three times.

Dry ice is a option are rubber gloves required to handle DI?
I believe the Publics food stores sell it. Will a little dry ice in each cooler extend the life of my block ice? I’ve been experimenting w/ the reusable ice in blue containers not sure but I think they melt well before the quart jugs.

I’m also considering a small freigerater (future plans) for provisions and kept the smell in the coolers & bags however these are pricey and require constant power.
Thanks Guys for advice.

Tags
environment, grass, marine, men