Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2022, 03:56   #16

Re: How to get heavy weather ocean sailing experience

Be careful of what you wish for.
Chris Cringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 05:28   #17

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Heavy weather sailing in the Great Lakes is readily available every November.

I’ve actually enjoyed big blows in the Pacific. The waves are much longer than in GL, more of a breaking swell. A 15’ wave is nothing, that is until it breaks over you.

Where to go? Aus/ Taz. The water is warmer. If you’re going to get wet, warm water beats cold water.
Old 01-06-2022, 06:17   #18

Boat: Beneteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubstuff View Post
Donnybrook, having sailed pretty extensively in both the Great Lakes and the Atlantic, I can assure you that you don't really need the experience of ocean storms if you know how to handle a gale on the lakes. As you noted, Great Lakes storm waves are short, steep and hit you hard and fast. Not to mention the weather on the lakes that can change in less than a minute from five knots to thirty five or more. I think you'll find ocean storms to be less stressful and more slow to develop, and while ocean waves and swells can be larger, in my experience they are more predictable. I would not let your lack of ocean experience deter you in the least from heading out to sea. You passed the test, and got the extra credit, on Lake Michigan.
This seems to be an accurate depiction of what ocean sailing is. Of course those rules don't always apply. If you cross the Grand Banks during a nasty bit of weather there's not a wave pattern. They are notorious for the massive confused seas that seriously take a toll on the body. Ocean sailing is pretty easy as long as you are away from the shore and shallow water.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 07:38   #19

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Sign up for some delivery trips, early, late or out of season - sooner or later you will get your wish...
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 07:52   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How to get heavy weather ocean sailing experience

The Bay of Biscay going from Brest to La Coruna direct.. any time between October and March..
320nm of predominantly NW swells, a S bound current and regular fronts sweeping across.
Time it for a SW gale if you want some real fun..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 08:20   #21

If you want to sail in big winds and high waves, go where they are common and nearly everyday.
We sailed our Catamaran from Lake Ontario to round Cape Horn and spent 11 months in the area.
An afternoon thermal wind in the Beagle Channel can be 40 knots on a not-too-unusual afternoon. Though the winds can be strong in the Beagle Channel, the waves are not impressive
There are sailing boats that take individual passengers for trips around that area.
Do not sign up for a trip around Cape Horn if you want to really experience large waves, as that is mostly a trip through islands of the southern archipelago and then about a 20mile sail around Cape Horn and back into the archipelago. You do experience large swells, up to 20ft, with a wind chop on the top. The wind was down to about 25knots when we rounded the Horn. A few hours later you are into the protected waters. You get a glimpse of what it might be like, but there is nothing like trying to sleep through a screaming gale knowing that is what you will also wake up to.
To really experience a gale at sea you need to head to the Falkland Islands, minimum. We had sustained winds of 40 to 50knots with gusts to 60 that we had to sail slightly to windward or the current coming round Cape Horn would have swept us toward South Africa. Or sail to South Georgia (the Falkland Islands are on the way) or the Antarctic Peninsula across the Drake Passage.

Gregg Landreth and Keri Pashuk have been sailing that area for more than 30 years. See their website: patagoniaprojects.org to see if they have any current sailings planned. They have been staying close to Chile for these past couple Covid years, but have made may passages to the Falklands, South Georgia and the Antarctic Peninsula.
Oceanexpeditions.com also take passengers to the above places with experienced crew who regularly sail these difficult waters.
There are other European and New Zealand flagged vessels that take passengers sailing in these extraordinary and beautiful and impressive waters.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 10:16   #22

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Someone else said on this board, "the best way to get heavy weather sailing is to just do it.

GO out regardless of predicted weather, and rig sails accordingly.

And half the time the weather over, or under estimates wind speed by 10 to 15 knots.

Practice storm condition prep like sea anchor, drogues, and heaving to in 20-30 knot winds.

Then when you hit gale force, you can deploy without hesitation.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 10:58   #23

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I have left the harbor to sail in heavy weather once. Never again. Its like playing Russian Roulette.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 11:17   #24

Even the most experienced mariner, I believe, should feel an incredible sense of moral liability offering to suggest an answer to the poster’s inquiry. The question, obviously, would contain so many variables, such as type of vessel used (sailing vessel, fishing trawler, power sailer, battleship, etc.) it would seem impossible to offer an answer to the question. Not to mention the level of marine skills and experience.
In my opinion, it would be grotesquely inappropriate for anyone to offer a serious attempt to answer this question.
Giro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 11:27   #25

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

You need a Donzi 43 if you want to feel the oceans power and our will to fight it. Rolling over the next wave dragging a droug whoopy
You should have joined the Norwegians when they sailed their 1098 replica across the Atlantic
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 11:39   #26
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cringle View Post
Be careful of what you wish for.
With that..

I started looking at benotows Oceania because I would like cabin type. Friend pointed out Farr models. Slightly different alignment, exposed rudder yet stock protection from leading edge via pivot aft Slightly.
Problems with big skiffs is need of speed especially in heavy conditions.
Racers do okay because they are crewed by plenty and often they don't furl headsail. By hanging hedsail they are enabled a lot less rigging stress which means they keep more cloth and need for speed. Without speed those type weighted centreboard labelled as keels are useless.
We made harbour, walked up out of Lee and found open wind on hill top. We were yelling yet a mile away from halyards and stays. Crouched walking slow progress.
Glad to be in that storm; glad because we were in a still harbour of barely a ripple.
I'm waiting to go long keel nowadays. Not for storm entry but to survive if caught out.. hopefully. Survive that is. Difficult is running up hills with coastal vessels yet running downhill leaves us vulnerable IMHO
Retirement home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 11:43   #27

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retirement home View Post
..Can you make wind during calm yet? ...
Oh yeah, anytime, anywhere, especially after a few prunes, baked beans, or onions to name a few.
Old 01-06-2022, 11:52   #28
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How to get heavy weather ocean sailing experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giro View Post
Even the most experienced mariner, I believe, should feel an incredible sense of moral liability offering to suggest an answer to the poster’s inquiry. The question, obviously, would contain so many variables, such as type of vessel used (sailing vessel, fishing trawler, power sailer, battleship, etc.) it would seem impossible to offer an answer to the question. Not to mention the level of marine skills and experience.
In my opinion, it would be grotesquely inappropriate for anyone to offer a serious attempt to answer this question.
That's why I didn't suggest he did the Biscay the way I did, on a Hurley 22, solo in December..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 11:53   #29

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

I'd like to experience 20'+ waves and gale force winds in the ocean.

If it's blowing a full gale mid-ocean, the waves/swells are likely to be far bigger than 20'. But as noted earlier on the thread if you've handled a full or even near-gale on the Great Lakes, then you'll find a mid-ocean gale is much easier to cope with.
Old 01-06-2022, 12:29   #30

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

check out Skip Novack...he has a few videos where they are close to cape horn looking for weather...I thought there was mention of folks on the boat who were looking for experience that you speak of...
thnks
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, sail, sailing, weather