Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2023, 10:41   #1

Travel From Conception Bay NF to Halifax NS

I am potentially moving a Carver 500 from Conception to Halifax and have not been able to find a lot of information. Navionics shows very few anchorages or marinas until you cross to ND at the Lakes. Is there any local intell about NF?
jdamon71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2023, 13:32   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Travel From Conception Bay NF to Halifax NS

What would you like to know?

Is this a delivery where you are making time or leisurely?

What time of year?

Estimated daily milage? Fuel consumption?

Are you wanting to dock every night?

Then we can give some guidance.

If you have time I could recommend a Cruisers Guide.

https://cruisingclub.org/book/nfguide
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2023, 14:28   #3

Boat: Carver 500
Cat 3208 (2) <1000hrs
4 Blade props
Hull Speed 10-11 K
Assumed Fuel Flow @ hull speed: 4-5 GPH
Cruising speed 18 K
Assumed fuel flow @ cruising: 36 GPH

What would you like to know?

The ins and outs of transiting this area/pitfalls/trouble spots.

Is this a delivery where you are making time or leisurely?

This is an owner delivery when I am researching a more leisurely timeframe understanding that there may be times when I need to get after it.

What time of year?

We are looking at a Survey in April (probably mid) when the boat is back in the water. Then depending on closing mid to late May for transit.

Estimated daily mileage? Fuel consumption?

Right now I am looking at about 80 kM per day. Burn I estimate at 4-5 GPH

Are you wanting to dock every night?

Not necessary

I hope that's what you are looking for.
Old 22-12-2023, 05:12   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

OK,

It will be COLD.

Refueling will be your first concern.

Going from Conception around to St Johns should be OK. St Johns itself has surprisingly little for recreational dockage. But there is fuel at the fisherman's dock.

Then down to Renews there are many small harbors with fuel, though some have little to else.

Below Renews things get pretty sparse until Trepassy Bay. This is fairly long run. I have not been into Trepassy but I have been into Lawn. But anyway the coast around to Grand Bank has quite a few decent harbors.

I would not pass St Pierre without stopping for pastry, wine, cheese and a good scoff at a nicer restaurant. If you do go into St Pierre remember that you are entering France. No problem, but check back in at Fortune. Once I carried in to Port Aux Basque and caught hell from immigration as PAB is NOT a Port of Entry.

Now the South coast is real sparse. There are a couple of isolate communities (Francois and Grey River), about 100 souls each. They will have diesel and basic grub. They have a daily ferry run to Burgeo, which is you next stop West. Surprisingly when I was in Burgeo I had to get a taxi to get fuel. Alternatively you could hit Ramea Island which will have grub and fuel.

From there pick your jump point to Cape Breton. I assume yiu want to run through the lakes. The narrows into the lakes runs very hard, an easy 7 knots and you do NOT want to get caught in a current vs tide situation. Going in is easier than coming out but still be cautious. If it gets dicey hold close to the shore on the South side of the channel, mind your charts.

As yo the Bra d’Or Lakes the only furl I know of is Baddeck or the Lions Club Marina in St. Peters. Call and make sure they are open when you are transiting. But also definitely confirm St Peters lock schedule. They are not open all year or operate every day. St Peters is a nice little town with a decent hardware and auto parts store and super market all in walking distance. And a Tims.

I would then run outside the Madeline Islands heading for Cansou on the Mainland. They have a marina and you can take an inland passage just West if there. It is a nice diversion.

From there to Halifax should be straight forward, but some if the fueling facilities are a long way up the fingers. Pretty territory but you can spend a lot of time just diverting for fuel. And FOGGY.

Gwt the Cruising Guide I suggested. They also have a similar guide for the NS coast.
Old 22-12-2023, 06:38   #5

Boat: Nonsuch 30

My concerns in no particular order:
- temperature; early May will be very cold, delay to June if you can
- south coast has a number of abandoned outports whose docks may or may not be usable. You can anchor in these harbours. Anchoring in the fiords is difficult as the water is very deep almost to the end. Many of these are 10+ miles in and out
- make sure your radar is working properly, fog can be common
- you want a good forecast to cross Cabot Strait. If you don't have AIS, contact the traffic control folks, it is a fairly busy route with ships going into the St Lawrence
- note that very few fishing boats have AIS, even receive, so keep a close eye out and on the radar in crap weather.
- there are several cruising guides for Nova Scotia including CCA. I like Peter Loveridge's which is available as a CD or thumb drive
Cruising Guide to Nova Scotia

Take your time and enjoy. I have circumnavigated and the most interesting cruising I have enjoyed is the south coast of Newfoundland.
Old 22-12-2023, 10:28   #6

Thank you for the responses I will look into the guides.... what kind of temps am I looking at?
Old 22-12-2023, 10:56   #7

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdamon71 View Post
Thank you for the responses I will look into the guides.... what kind of temps am I looking at?

Seawater temp governs the air temp out on the saltwater
South coast NFLD & East of N.S to the US boundary-water temp is coldest of the year,due to icebergs. figure 35-45F.
In Sept.,it can rise to 55-60F.
Air temp above water will be maybe 5-8degs warmer & it is a soaking,damp cold.
Read the Can WX link-they give you water/air temp,ice conditions,etc.
https://weather.gc.ca/marine/region_e.html?mapID=15

If you do Facebook,join here https://www.facebook.com/groups/268778300122540

Cheers/Len
Old 22-12-2023, 11:15   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I second radar. Even in good conditions it is hard for a single hander to keep an adequate watch. I have come embarrassingly close to a bad situation.

Radar on a power boat is a lot better than on a sail boat as you have constant power regeneration.
Old 23-12-2023, 15:56   #9

Thank you again..... do any of you carry dry suits?
Old 23-12-2023, 16:59   #10

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdamon71 View Post
Thank you again..... do any of you carry dry suits?

Most on ocean commercial worker find that a "flotation suit",especially 2 piece ones,are ideal for keeping warm in local daily working conditions.
They will also float you (indefinitley) if you fall in.
https://pro.mustangsurvival.com/prod...on-suit-ms2195

https://pro.mustangsurvival.com/prod...on-suit-ms2195

Of course,they are not a full "gumby" survival suit,but you can wear & work in them.
You should consider helly hansen or ski type lycra no sweat under wear,gore tex socks & toque & insulated com.fish boots.

Local rules are" if your feet are cold,you will always be cold"
" if your feet are cold,put your hat on"

Be prepared to dress/undress as if you were going skiing or snomobiling.

Cheers/Len
Old 24-12-2023, 05:34   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I have one piece workers flotation suits. They count as a PDF. But have no way to attach to a hoist.

I find them very warm because they keep the air from running up your back. Brrrr.
Old 05-01-2024, 06:55   #12

Boat: Hinterhoeller Nonsuch 26C, Niagara 35C

Quote:
From there pick your jump point to Cape Breton. I assume yiu want to run through the lakes. The narrows into the lakes runs very hard, an easy 7 knots and you do NOT want to get caught in a current vs tide situation. Going in is easier than coming out but still be cautious. If it gets dicey hold close to the shore on the South side of the channel, mind your charts.

As yo the Bra d’Or Lakes the only furl I know of is Baddeck or the Lions Club Marina in St. Peters. Call and make sure they are open when you are transiting. But also definitely confirm St Peters lock schedule. They are not open all year or operate every day. St Peters is a nice little town with a decent hardware and auto parts store and super market all in walking distance. And a Tims.

I would then run outside the Madeline Islands heading for Cansou on the Mainland. They have a marina and you can take an inland passage just West if there. It is a nice diversion.

From there to Halifax should be straight forward, but some if the fueling facilities are a long way up the fingers. Pretty territory but you can spend a lot of time just diverting for fuel. And FOGGY.

Gwt the Cruising Guide I suggested. They also have a similar guide for the NS coast.
All above re Cape Breton to Hfx is good, but exiting Bras d’Or at St Peter’s, stay outside of Isle Madame. Going by Isle Madelaines (Magdalen Islands) at this point will take you way out of your way. Warning: if you get into Bras d’Or Lake you may never leave.
MistyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 08:22   #13

Dress like you’re going skiing.
Don’t even think about this passage without radar.
From St. Pierre you could skip the Brasd’Or Lakes and go straight to Loiusburg, it’s 170 km, with good weather. Then on to the Eastern shore of NS and Halifax.
walkabout08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 14:11   #14

Thank you for the continued information!
Old 05-01-2024, 14:24   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyCat View Post
All above re Cape Breton to Hfx is good, but exiting Bras d’Or at St Peter’s, stay outside of Isle Madame. Going by Isle Madelaines (Magdalen Islands) at this point will take you way out of your way. Warning: if you get into Bras d’Or Lake you may never leave.
Yes,my bad on mixing up the names. I quite agree with your statement.

Tags
concept, halifax