Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2020, 17:56   #46

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Should I avoid this boat?

If you speak fluent Spanish, see if you can get a knowledgeable fisherman to look at the boat, or pay a diver to check the hull for worms. Be prepared to walk away if she's got worms. They get in and FEAST, and whole portions of the planking may be almost to dust. They do damage fast, too. We had one, one time, when we had a delamination issue in our rudder. It came out of the hole it had made in about 6 days, and died there in the sunshine. It was two weeks since the last look at the rudder.

The safest thing is simply to walk away from this one. But don't underestimate the cost of shipwright labor, either. If you're frugal because you HAVE to be, you'll be better off with a fiberglass boat. Oh, and please note, you will have to insure it for third party and scrapping costs. You may have great difficulty getting the insurance.

Ann
Old 30-06-2020, 03:49   #47

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Banks View Post
I would possibly consider en electronic one these days. The good ones are very good.

Almost everything we've seen marketed as a "concert piano" keyboard -- or better -- sounds at least as good as wifey's grand. And better ones also have weighted keys, so it feels like a piano keyboard, not an organ.

Then you also get the wide variety of voices... and key transpositions, a feature she uses a lot.

-Chris
Old 30-06-2020, 04:48   #48

Wood cruising boats are dirt cheap for a reason. Unless you like woodworking just for the sake of wood working...move on.

This is like asking the farmer selling a pig why he put a second coat of lipstick on without removing the first coat.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2020, 08:08   #49

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

If she's wood and you have no experience maintaining a wood boat, STAY AWAY! RUN!
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2020, 08:19   #50

Boat: DeFever Raised Pilot House 49

RUN - faster!! No disrespect, but your questions speak volumes. Having owned a '98 "low maintenance" FRP GB36 classic (no teak factory FRP decks and SS rails) I can assure you that you have no idea, how many years of work & boat bucks, the GB you are considering will absorb. As an example, I have just completed 10 60 hr. weeks of refinishing teak brightwork and re-caulking a 49 DeFever with FRP decks that was in good to excellent condition per an excellent (and accurate) 2 day survey. I didn't mind the work (SC heat in June excepted) and not surprised by how much work it was. Your commitment would need to be many, many multiples.
Old 05-07-2020, 04:35   #51

Your nose knows.

After sitting closed up at least for a day , when you go below is there that "old boat smell?"

Usually its dry rot.

If the boat smells sweet look at all the interior you can get to and look for discolorations from deck or other leaks.

If it stinks or is dripping , RUN.
FAST FRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:49   #52

another consideration, IMHO is where you will keep wood hulled boat (the GB is a good choice)warm Caribbean water year round is tougher on wood than cooler northern water, so requires more maintenance and NO neglect. We noted there were a lot of people in Caribbean capable of working on timber hulls including building them.
thecapt2029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:56   #53

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

Donny,
From the sounds of your posts, you are already leaning heavily towards purchasing this boat. Sorry, but I think it will be a very, very big mistake.

This boat has every single thing I can think of that I would avoid, due to future expense and work (and the future may not be that far off)!
Wood hull. From most of the posts here and on the trawler forum where you asked similar questions, the vast majority say RUN AWAY!! Wood hulls (50 years old) require lots of work and expertise. The expense and/or time (still coupled with expense) can be large.
Black steel tanks. They will or are leaking. Big problem (unless already replaced, but you don't mention they are). Removal is an issue. Even if cut up, getting new ones in place is also an issue. Again, costly. Engine removal often a necessity. Wood boat on the hard a long time, another problem?

Wooden decks. Leaks. In the past? Now? Soon? More problems.
Now, let's get to the other good (actually bad) news. This is a 50 year old boat that will require lots of other work and expense in many other areas like engine, generator, electrical, water system, sewage system, etc. etc.

Insurance. I am not an insurance expert, but, with a 50 year old wood boat, it may be very, very difficult to even get insurance. The company may REQUIRE a new survey due to the time since the last one and the fact it is wood (assuming they will look at insuring it). You will need insurance to get mooring space at most docks. Be aware, that the insurance company will probably require, as a condition of insurance, that ALL items listed by the surveyor as defects or deficiencies (not just the safety ones) be completely rectified. On a 50 year old wooden boat that could be a long list. For example, on my boat, the surveyor mentioned that he was not able to determine the age of my PSS shaft seal, so it should be "replaced" (serviced with the kit) even though it looked in good condition and was not leaking at all. Insurance Company said I had a time frame in which to do that (and all of the other items) to maintain coverage.
Just as an example, my boat when surveyed, had none of the first, major concerns I brought up about this boat (wooden, steel tanks, leaking decks, etc), and my surveyor stated: "this is the best condition for a boat this age I have ever surveyed", and I still spent over $30,000 on her repairing the survey list, getting the maintenance up to a good starting point, and adding a few personal changes, and I still have 18 year old electronics. Also, just for reference, I do about 75% of the work myself.
Donny, I think if you buy this boat you will find out that it is "a good deal" now (purchase price), but it will cost you a lot in the future (including heartache)!

I fear that you will come to regret this decision (if you go ahead) and maybe even come to hate the boat! After all, you state you are trying to reduce stress, and have some time to "use the boat". I fear you will be too busy "working on it" to do that!
JMHO. I hope I turn out to be wrong, as it seems you have your heart set on getting it. Good luck, but don't say we didn't warn you.
Firehoser75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:58   #54

Boat: Ocean Alexander tri cabin 52'

I can't say this loud enough, no matter how attractive the price DO NOT BUY A WOOD HULLED BOAT. You will spend all your time and treasure dealing with the hull.
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:19   #55

I watched a Jay Leno's Garage episode where they semi-restored a They restored the mechanicals but left the rest of the bike unrestored. His closing comments might be instructive for anyone thinking of an old, wooden boat: "It's a lot like being with the wrong woman. Its great until something bad happens."
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 11:05   #56

Boat: Nauticat 44

Lots of hard facts with a 50 year old wooden boat with a wooden deck and black iron fuel tanks. If the boat has sat for 18+ months there will also be significant mechanical and maintenance issues. You can expect to spend at least as much resurrecting the boat as you do for the purchase, and in the end have a project boat that you can't sell. If you are going to live aboard and have the time and inclination it could be great. You may well have many personal and experiential and emotional rewards. Just don't expect any financial reward for your stewardship. If/when you sell, it will be at a discount from your purchase price, not from your total financial investment.
David Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 11:57   #57

Boat: Murena 30 1/2 tonner, Colvic Victor 41, Beneteau Blue 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Bahama View Post
I’m going to go ahead and post a link to the survey for anyone who’s inclined to have a look. I’ve removed all references that specifically identify the owner, the surveyor, and the vessel.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...qJ8wTos1M/view

And this document covers the post-survey repairs done:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...Xe5rb-ztk/view

OK so I did read both.
This for me is a red flag - from the survey:
B.1 Recommend hauling the vessel to let dry and treat the exposed wood, apply epoxy primer and re paint all wetted surface

From the reported works:
B.1 Recommend hauling the vessel to let dry and treat the exposed wood, apply epoxy primer and re paint all wetted surface.
B.3 Recommend a starboard rudder bearing and inspection of the inside port and starboard flanges and wood blocks looking for wood burn that can not be seen without removal of FRP covers.
B.4 Recommend replacing both exhaust flanges if needed and any wood that shows alkali corrosion causing wood burn that is used for backing.
B.9 Recommend replacing the port aft seacock that is not being used or removing and repair the opening it has burnt wood on the backing block.
All above fixed by [professional shipyard]

Q: How can this have been done if the bottom paint was not removed

The two statements are at odds.

Dwayne
Dwayne Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 21:00   #58

Boat: ARENDS MONO 34 Ft.

The hull may not be a problem my first boat 40 years ago was a 36ft. wooden double ender built in 1936 I had to check all the under water caulking seams each year when i pulled her out for antifoul painting but then it didnt take long to put a hot wire into the putty worm holes.Your problem because the boat has been sitting for 18 months could be BLACK DEATH through the fuel system I had that happen to my second boat which sat unused when I was away for 2 years and believe me that is a major repair job so you might want to check that one out
RJMRJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 22:32   #59

Boat: ARENDS MONO 34 Ft.

Donny Bahama I have to apologise, I was under the impression that your query related to the soundness or otherwise of a wooden hull and my comments related to that but I may have given you the wrong impression.I owned my 36 ft. wooden boat for 10 years and I spent fully half of my spare time working on that boat As others on this forum have told you you will spend all of your time repairing and replacing everything on that boat The hull may be the least of your problems but believe me you will live to regret your purchase Assume your purchase price, whatever it may be to be 10, I can assure you that before you have had enough you will have spent 100 only to find that if and when you ultimatly find a buyer for it you will probably be unlikely to get your original 10 back and you will regret your original moment of emotional folly SORRY
RJMRJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 22:53   #60

Boat: Lancer 36

Buy the book "This Old Boat" that refers to fixing up FRP boats, if you are really looking for a fixer upper....at least then you will have a chance to enjoy the vessel.....
OloteleMtn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat