Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2009, 15:48   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Hah! Thanks rigamarole.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2009, 20:25   #17

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
If you get down under crew.org.nz

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2009, 23:55   #18
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
I would just like to say that the present group of volunteer Moderators seem to have achieved a very light touch, while gently enforcing the spirit of the Rules.

Whether this is by design, or perhaps just the pleasant interaction between a positive group of individuals….. we thank you!

Maybe it is even the partial result of our members finally becoming better house trained!...

Whatever the reason…..Congratulations on making this site so enjoyable
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2009, 01:35   #19

I recently joined CF after making several thousand posts on a large, well-known UK forum. I now don't post there much due to a number of issues, including what I can best describe as 'selective' and inconsistent moderation, a tendency for some of the posters to be abusive and little being done about it, and a number of threads being started and contributed to by what I can best describe as racist, homophobic bigots. I found several of those threads quite offensive and yet they were allowed to run their course, without any sign of moderation.

For what it's worth, in the limited time I've spent here at CF, I've found a whole different and more friendly atmosphere, with the moderating being more active, but at the same time pretty low-key. From what I have seen so far, I think the balance is about right
ColdFusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2009, 02:50   #20

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
I haven't really had any (bureaucratic) interaction with the moderators on here.. I try to keep it positive, not go on about sex or religion etc., and for the most part this works fairly well.

I had a bit of a nightmare on cruiserlog actually, in a topic of mine on there I tried to link here, and it got deleted. Upon querying the moderators they sort of got round to admitting they had deleted my posts in a Stalinist manner (without notification) as "cruisersforum would never permit a link to them either".. Later the whole topic got deleted, same for previous ones about opencpn (which admittedly also linked to the opencpn discussion on here). Overall, I posted 3 topics on there, and all 3 got deleted, although they didn't contain anything controversial like bestiality or membership of the klu-klux-klan or whatever. The forum seems to revolve around a few moderators deleting everybody else's' posts and chatting to each other..
idpnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2009, 04:09   #21
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd View Post
in a topic of mine on there I tried to link here, and it got deleted. Upon querying the moderators they sort of got round to admitting they had deleted my posts in a Stalinist manner ..
I think its pretty standard in internet forums to have a rule against linking to other forums.

The people who set up forums often do so at their own expense - and that can be a few hundred dollars for the domain, the software, and the additional size of hosting - and they get a bit peeved when it appears that people are trying to get their hard won viewers to go to some other forum.

How would you like your business oposition to get free advertisments INSIDE your own business premisis where your clients could see them?
"Welcome to Smokies Grill. McDonalds accross the road is cheaper, faster and has Drive Thru!"

So theres two sides to the story.

PS The Mods here are biased. .... OK let me re-phrase that... they are biased when they delete one of my posts!

Mark
PPS the guy who started this thread hasn't been posting since August 5th. Is it still fair to divert links/audience from CF when he is away/not interested?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2009, 05:10   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
... How would you like your business oposition to get free advertisments INSIDE your own business premisis where your clients could see them?
"Welcome to Smokies Grill. McDonalds accross the road is cheaper, faster and has Drive Thru!" ...
Indeed.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2009, 05:31   #23

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
I don’t you’ll find a site to be all things to all people, including yourself; I could be wrong about the latter.

Cruisersforum, as you pointed out, has a large and pretty active base which often results in new folks asking the same questions because they can't/won't search the site. But that comes with the size. I think it tends to run a bit cool and it towards information over interaction which happens to be my preference. There are some who have left, permanently or not, and have joined other sites. Others like myself adjunct this board with others for various reasons.

Boatdesign .net is more focused on design and construction. One would think it would be very focused. While there are some experts there in several fields, it gets drowned out amongst posts like this (excerpted at random and in order):
Quote:
Poster A
jeeez at first i thaught you were joking
i am obviously old school poor boy in third world
arhitect on drugs ?
WHY is good name for russian mafia
fugly and no privacy
Poster B
Appalling........
From the inboard elevation I'll guess it's some form of tri-swath?
Poster C
Who`s going to scrape the barnacles ?
Poster D
That kind of vessel don't have barnacles.. They have oysters with pearls
Cuising.stuffimiinto.com is pleasant and social but with a small base and borders on being a cult of personality.

multihulls4us..com is low traffic and geared only to multis. I happen to have a tri but like sailboats of all types.

I know there are a ton of other sites but, frankly, I only have so much time and interest. That said I think it is worth being on different sites because they then to be cyclic in terms of stuff that is interesting.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forums