Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2015, 08:48   #1

NYC to Montauk any thoughts?

A buddy and I are looking to take my 22' cuddy cabin from NYC through the Long Island Sound towards Montauk Point. We have about 4 days to do the trip there and back. We don't necessarily have to make it all the way to Montauk as we want to enjoy the trip along the way. We would like to stop and get a hotel room each night and check out the local bars. Any info on any spots we should stop or check out would be great. We want to do a little of everything from a little fishing, beaches, parties just explore around and check out new stuff and meet some locals. Thanks, Griggsmars
griggsmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:54   #2

Re: NYC to Montauk any thoughts?

I'd be hard pressed to do that trip by car, given what you want to do on the way. Have you done a Speed Distance Time calculation?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:05   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Four days round trip? You'd better have JATO bottles and hydrofoils on that boat, or be prepared to keep moving both day and night. Get a copy of "Eldridge", check out the tides you will have to work with, and remember that the sound can be, and often is, WINDLESS in July and August. By the end of July you can have a windless day with 95F heat and steamy humidity, and after 10am you'll be very happy if you've got the engine and fuel to do something about it.

I'd revamp the plans, if you're uncertain and just want to do some fun cruising, sail for a day or day and a half, hang out for a day wherever that takes you, then do the return trip. Don't go for Montauk, it will still be there next year.(G)

Some folks would also go for Oyster Bay (a full day trip from NYC) or Port Jeff, take a mooring for a week, take the LIRR home, and come back to do another hop the next weekend.

But between the currents in the Sound, and the light air that can hit in summer...you've got to plan alternatives.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:32   #4

I may be posting on the wrong site, we are a powerboat with 200hp engine. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:35   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

My bad! You're in the right place, I didn't notice the forum section. Sorry about that.

200hp...yeah, you'll do fine.(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:16   #6

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

I'd recommend getting a copy of Maptech's Embassy Guide for Long Island Sound. It will give you great information for both the NY and CT side of the sound. From that you can pick your destinations and plan your trip with ease. JMHO
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:34   #7

Thanks that should be a big help. Being we only have 4 days, we may be leaning towards going up the Hudson as we may be able to check out more things in that short amount of time. It seems like marinas and sites are pretty far apart in the Long Island sound, we might save that for a later trip when we have more time. Any info on the Hudson would be great. Thanks, Griggsmars
Old 06-08-2015, 09:12   #8

If you make this trip allow me to recommend stopping at Huntington Harbor or Northport. They are basically next to each other. You would be hard pressed to beat Huntington town for the number of restaurants and bars to choose from. Northport has a good selection too, but it is smaller town and more quaint.
coltsneckbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nyc