Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2023, 17:43   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Changed our mind, new questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S.Minnow View Post
My intention is Mississippi to the Caribbean and back each year. Winters South summers back home here in Wisconsin. So your voltage point is well taken.
You can't get north of Chicago if she's higher that 17'
Old 11-04-2023, 17:59   #17

http://https://jmys.comDon’t buy that boat without a full survey. It is well worth the money, besides, you will need one for insurance. Buying a boat overseas could have more issues than just the electric. There may also be import duty involved. Here is a website with plenty of good information.
Wheelguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 05:05   #18

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Just not happy with it not being out of water for 7 years and we are unable to take it out for a survey prior to purchase. I mean what could possibly go wrong.....
Then we have if we have a major issue down the road help is 7 days away... and we have to sail the issue there?? things that make you go hmmmm. Can't wait to see it.

I'd guess there are haul-out solutions somewhere near enough... if it turns out you become serious about buying the boat. A serious seller might help you find that solution.

Otherwise, walk. Or, nothing horribly wrong with boats in Florida. Freshwater boats can be nice, but some of that is more like potential than definite fact. IOW, maintenance can trump freshwater. And a boat in Florida is already nearer your offshore destination.

We can sometimes have service people come to us. Includes drive-time at their labor rate, but it's relatively common, relatively easy. Especially if the budget is as generous as yours.

I might mention (and I don't usually question choices like this) that's a big-a$$ boat you're looking at. Unless you're entertaining sleepover hordes all the time, maybe some smaller boats would work too? Just a thought, but I know of several (including us) who can be quite happy for 5-ish months at a time on boats starting from roughly 45' -- depending on layout and so forth.

-Chris
Old 12-04-2023, 05:22   #19

Following.

We'd been looking to re-enter the offshore sailing market but have slowly realized that maybe power is a better option for our lifestyle.

Interesting (well, more like shocking) that the boat has not been out of the water for 7 years (!!!). As a previous great lakes / St. Lawrence power boater this is astounding to me. Hopefully someone dove the boat regularly to deal with zincs and the like.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 06:55   #20

Boat: Jeanneau SO 34.2

Quote:
Does not the Mississippi turn into the St. Croix (yes) and is this river not navigable all the way to lake Superior (I think it is) which certainly is not 7 days sail.
Thank you in advance for your time.
Corey
The St Croix joins the Mississippi at Prescott. It is not connected to Lake Superior and is not navigable past Taylors Falls.
steffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 07:18   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CHB/MT D/C Trawler, 34'

FWIW I’ve taken a 34’ boat with 3’ draft down the Mississippi from Lake Michigan and there’s no way I’d do that regularly on a boat with 6’ draft. Too hard to stay in deep water, and definitely not “fun”
Moosemiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 08:35   #22

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Changed our mind, new questions

I see the boat every time I cross the st Croix River there are bubblers and no haul out there for a boat that size

Maybe in St. Paul for commercial tugs and such

Edit
Maybe in lake city mn you could get a haul out with a hydraulic trailer maybe
Old 12-04-2023, 08:54   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger58sb View Post
I might mention (and I don't usually question choices like this) that's a big-a$$ boat you're looking at. Unless you're entertaining sleepover hordes all the time, maybe some smaller boats would work too? Just a thought, but I know of several (including us) who can be quite happy for 5-ish months at a time on boats starting from roughly 45' -- depending on layout and so forth.

Further to this... please forgive me if it wasn't useful. I was thinking just in case you're in a "don't know what you don't know" situation...

Afterwards, I reviewed our current situation, nominally 55' and turns out we can sleep 8, (three staterooms plus pull-out in the saloon)... plus maybe even a couple shorter folks on the climate controlled bridge. We wouldn't ever do that, of course. Partly 'cause the saloon thing would probably block transit space(haven't ever tried), and partly because we don't know 10-12 people we like enough to suffer through all that. Anyway, I just meant folks don't necessarily need a bazillion feet of boat length to be pretty comfortable for decent lengths of time.

-Chris
Old 12-04-2023, 11:37   #24

I am in agreement with Ranger58. It is my opinion that you should buy the smallest boat that will comfortably do everything that you plan to do with it. Large boats bring large problems. In addition to all of the extra money for dock space, insurance, fuel, and repairs, there is also draft and length problems that will inhibit where you can use your boat. Also, you may tire of the same boat over the years. Your wants and needs will change, and you will want to change boats. Smaller boats are much easier to sell.
Wheelguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 12:41   #25

Boat: TBD

Thanks for the impute the boat has been purchased by a bidder from last fall who just put together his financing. We were notified this morning. So we are on to the next one. Agree wholeheartedly on size needed for the ability to comfortably live aboard. May have a couple guests in a blue moon but mostly me the Wolf the two dogs and occasional family who will quickly get bored with my wit and never return. We have been looking in the 50' to 65' range as the draft is much more tolerable for Caribbean/Mississippi waters. This 70' just happened to be extremely close. It sold for $625,000 and there is no chance I would have paid that without it being hauled out first. Under no circumstances will I go to sea without a survey.
Will move on.
Thanks again.
S.S.Minnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 12:56   #26

Boat: TBD

We are really stuck on the Horizon Elegance line and the only other one state side is the one I mentioned earlier in FL. I felt this one may be underpowered, but is it? Twin cat 3196's, 660 hp, 1,320hp total, 64', 4' 6" draft, 16'3" beam, 60,000 lbs. I only think it may be a little light as most boats this size will run 1,600hp to 2100hp with some around 2,800hp. Although some of them are indeed a much heavier rig.
Your thoughts are appreciated.
S.S.Minnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 13:38   #27

Quote:
Well, we joined the sister site Trawler Forum days ago but account activation seems to be on Jamaican time.
We had a crash on the TrawlerForum.com server that forced a restore of data from just prior to 04/09. Based on this posting date, I suspect you got caught up.

I couldn't find a user name "S.S.Minnow" on TrawlerForum.com

Please feel free to head back over and re-create your account.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2023, 04:30   #28

Quote:
We are really stuck on the Horizon Elegance line and the only other one state side is the one I mentioned earlier in FL. I felt this one may be underpowered, but is it? Twin cat 3196's, 660 hp, 1,320hp total, 64', 4' 6" draft, 16'3" beam, 60,000 lbs. I only think it may be a little light as most boats this size will run 1,600hp to 2100hp with some around 2,800hp. Although some of them are indeed a much heavier rig.
Your thoughts are appreciated.

I see you finally got in, over there...

My guess is that 1320 hp is about 800 (or more) more than you'd need just to deal with upstreaming the Mississippi... but that's only a stab at it since we haven't done that particular river. (Yet?) Still current is current, we've dealt with that, and it doesn't often take huge horsepower to compensate.

And... that's horsepower designed to plane that boat. If you instead choose to run that boat at "trawler speeds" sometimes (on some boats, that means you can hear the person talking next to you), the amount of horsepower actually being used at any given time is a mere fraction of what's available.

I think currents on the Tenn-Tom Bigbee Canal are much less boisterous, cutting off at least the lower Mississippi issues.

You might find a membership on boatdiesel.com useful. I seem to remember the Cat 3196s have (had?) some sort of aftercooler issues... manageable, but good to know about... especially if the target boat hasn't been well-maintained... that were maybe partially (IIRC) remedied with the C12 follow-ons. Something like that...

What is it about the Horizon Elegance boats that attracts you? What other boat models come close?

We have a list of our own specific "feature" requirements... that's been gradually fleshed out -- and slightly growing -- since the mid-'90s. Not much about length. More like "stairs instead of ladders" and so forth... plus internal layout requirements. You might try to break down your thoughts into something like that, partly to pin down the details about what HE attracts you, partly to then help find the competition (if there is some).

-Chris
Old 14-04-2023, 08:07   #29

I purchased 2 boats on the great lakes. Living in Connecticut at the time. The first was a 1 year old 46' Navigator PHMY. I had a captain deliver it with me back to CT. Very fun trip. Ran the boat for 3 years up and back to FL for winter.

Next boat was 1 year old Viking SF. Very fast but had fun with that boat purchased in Detroit.

The clearance for the bridge in Chicago is 18' 3", as I recall, and the Navigator barely made it.

I highly suggest going to a major boat show such as Miami, to check out exactly what boat suits your needs. I received my 100 T Captains license in 2000. Keep in mind, you must have a licensed captain to operate your boat if it is larger than 72'.

HMY is a good broker to use, if you don't have one. Good Luck in your search!
captainmarknc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2023, 12:22   #30

Boat: Oyster 46

I am concerned that since the original idea was that the boat could be moved North to Lake Superior that the idea of how awful moving down the Mississippi River South of the Ohio River has not been fully considered.

That portion of the Mississippi is mostly walls of rocks and wing dams with huge barges threatening to crush you. There are nearly no places to anchor or marinas.

Which is the exact opposite of the Ohio River to Mobile route.

as an out of the box thought... a power catamaran is relatively easy to maneuver and has plenty of space. (and shallow draft)
boatingisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote